Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease?

Paul Barnett's Twitter feed is all atwitter with old-school gaming goodness, as several tweets from the outspoken Mythic developer talk about his goal of getting EA to allow him to re-issue a DRM-free version of Wing Commander as a freeware DOSBox release. He is looking to get users to retweet about this "to shame ea legal into letting me Do it," and says he's set to pitch the idea to Dr. Ray Muzyka today. Here are some relevant tweets: 1:20 PM Sep 26th: "Wing commander Turns 20, I am hard at work seeing if we can dosbox and release it! Come on ea legal... Now is the time to shine!" 7:33 PM Sep 26th: "Wi g commander in dos box and re~released , retweet it for the win!" 9:10 PM Sep 26th: "@jeffgerstmann You need to get your faithful to re tweet it, to shame ea legal into letting me Do it !" Yesterday: "now have a dosbox'ed version of Wing Commander plus secret missions." Yesterday: "Tech guys removed the copy protection question from the Wing commander build!" Yesterday: "Now having the Wing commander game data compared to our original source code, we need a clean bill of health at this stage!" And just this morning: "Today we get data compare sign off for wing commander, dr Ray will be hearing the pitch, from there only legal can stop us!" Followed by: "My plan is wing commander one , drm free and security bypassed. For FREE ( fingers crossed)." Thanks Morris via Ultima Aiera.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 29, 2010, 15:37 swaaye

I'd like to see the entire Origin library on GoG.

I doubt that I'd buy much of it, because I already own a lot of the games, but it would be nice to see the games getting some attention again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 29, 2010, 08:03 KilrathiAce

WIng commander 1 and all the special ops and wc2, privateer and privateer 2 need to come out on steam!  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

22. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 19:32 DedEye

It's the same issue that affects some other games from late 90s when run on Windows 7. Even on the older DosBox, there was a way around it, by editing the DosBox.conf file and changing the renderer to either "Surface" or "DDraw". In any case, version 0.74 works fine in Windows 7.

This worked for me.

Great old games never die and so happy I hang on to them. I got a couple big boxes of game manuals, but it's been worth dragging them around over the years.

Current walks down memory lane: 1869, Privateer + Righteous Fire, Tie Fighter, X-Com, and Great Naval Battles NA. I also managed to get WC:Prophecy working in Win7.

But ya; doubtful EA will do the right thing.

21. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 19:11 Vulkan

Wing Commander would be neat, Wing Commander 2 would be better.  

20. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 17:51 Hump

EA legal are real pricks when it comes to allowing things like this. After the Multiplayer Battletech: 3025 debacle numerous people from the community approached them, some offering a significant amount of cash to allow them to run the game. EA didn't want to hear it.

I'm sure a copyright lawyer would come up with many reasons why this makes sense in their world but, in the end, what good is it doing anybody to shelve a lot of hard work and not let anyone enjoy the fruits of that labor?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

19. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 16:42 Ruffiana

I have many fond memories of the first Wing Commander game, including monkeying around with our system's batch files so that it could be booted in the very particular way it needed to be to allow the game to use expanded rather then extended memory.  

18. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 14:30  Blue 

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 14:23:
So what's the difference between this, and this:

[link removed]

Answer: Legality.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

17. removed Sep 28, 2010, 14:23 JohnBirshire

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 28, 2010, 14:30.

16. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 14:20 noman

Only issue I've had with DOSBOX is with one computer, my laptop with ATI 3600HD series video card.. It seems to invert colors occasionally, even with latest drivers. Outside of that it played almost everything I thrown at it.

This was fixed in latest DosBox release 0.74.

It's the same issue that affects some other games from late 90s when run on Windows 7. Even on the older DosBox, there was a way around it, by editing the DosBox.conf file and changing the renderer to either "Surface" or "DDraw". In any case, version 0.74 works fine in Windows 7.

By the way, I just installed Wing Commander 3 last week through DosBox running it straight out of the CD. It worked out pretty good. I didn't have to use any tweaks or patches. This was the original WC3 release version.

15. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 14:14 VoodooV

I like how he keeps pointing the finger at their legal division. I have a weird hunch we're being set up for a fall..and the legal division is going to get scapegoated.

Gee, and we would have released it too...if it werent for you meddling lawyers!!!

14. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 14:08 Trashy

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 12:07:
Does DOSBox work well? I've heard mixed results. I'd really like to play through Tie Fighter again, maybe even Syndicate.

Only issue I've had with DOSBOX is with one computer, my laptop with ATI 3600HD series video card.. It seems to invert colors occasionally, even with latest drivers. Outside of that it played almost everything I thrown at it.

13. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 14:07 VoodooV

yeah I remember that there was one mission where you had to rescue a captured ralri from attack that was damned near impossible. I think I beat it once but only after a marathon gaming session and countless retries.

And yeah there was one mission in the secret missions pack where you had to beat two Fralthis in a broadsword that was insanely hard too.

The final mission in the original Wing Commander was cake compared to that. I remember it was tough, but you just had to fly conservatively like you were in a marathon and not a sprint. you had to be VERY careful with your afterburner usage or else you'd run out too quick

12. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 13:34 Wolfen

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 12:07:
Does DOSBox work well? I've heard mixed results. I'd really like to play through Tie Fighter again, maybe even Syndicate.

Dosbox works great in my opinion. Not to mention you can of course tweak some of the stuff. I like to alter the scaler settings so I get quasi new graphics through blurring of pixels and such hehe. Super2xsai.

Anyways, you can check dosbox's site some where for reported compatibility and such.

11. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 13:11 Soylent Bob

I love the hell out of WC 1 & 2 but I hope that bastard Barnett chokes to death on a Kilrathi hairball.  

10. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 12:08 Pigeon

Freeware, DRM Free, EA

One of these things is not like the other

9. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 12:07 JohnBirshire

8. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 11:08 Wolfen

nin wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 10:37:
I only ever managed to finish the final mission of WC once.

I remember there was a branching mission structure (depending on if you won or lost a mission), but I can't remember if there was more than one ending.

I do remember playing through the original and both expansions.

Yes, there were a few endings even in the first. I played just about every WC there was. It was one of my favorite PC games in its hay day.

7. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 10:56 Kevin Lowe

Dear EA: all 4 games, on Steam, would be worth about $20 to me. Just sayin'.  

6. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 10:46 Trashy

One of the first CD-ROM titles I bought for my 386 was the Wing Commander 1 & 2 with secret missions pack..I remembered waiting for the CD bundle to come out so I wouldn't have to buy the separate floppy disk versions.. I should just install it again on DOSBOX for the fun of it.. haven't played these games in about 15 years.  

5. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 10:43 nin

I seriously doubt EA will let anything go for free, but the GOG idea is right up their alley. Why? Because they can charge people money for something that costs EA next to nothing.

Like I said, free is great, but if it gets the suits at EA's attention, and convinces them to release WC2 and other classics? I'd gladly pay $5-$10 for that.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo