Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

LEGO Universe Gets Very Testy

Gamasutra has a bit about beta testing of LEGO Universe, the upcoming LEGO-based MMOG. NetDevil tells them the game has undergone "thousands of hours" of testing, and that testers include a group of children who were brought in to discuss the game before a single line of code was written, which was so long ago that what was a group of 8 to 12 year-olds is now a group of 12 to 16 year olds. NetDevil creative director Ryan Seaberry tells them they've gotten reactions from an extraordinary number of children at this point, saying there are "tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of kids who have played this game to give us feedback."

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: LEGO Universe Gets Very Testy Sep 27, 2010, 23:49 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 18:58:
Have you ever met a 8 to 14 year old who could tell you why he doesn't like something?

Its not necessary for the tester to elucidate why in order to learn things from the testing process. Did you read any of those articles on MS and how they did testing on halo games? (This was a year or two back)

Basically they film/record each player's experience (among other things). You can learn things such as where they get stuck in a level just by watching the videos (and if they all get stuck in the same place, you can tweak that place). Now granted, this isn't a linear FPS, but you can still figure out things by watching a video of someone playing (regardless of how old they are). For instance, if they are having a difficult time figuring out how to in game chat with someone, you need to add a something that explains that, maybe in the tutorial. Same thing with equipping items, or any of the common tasks, anything someone has difficulty with, look into streamlining it or tweaking tutorial.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: LEGO Universe Gets Very Testy Sep 27, 2010, 23:44 Pankin

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 18:58:
Have you ever met a 8 to 14 year old who could tell you why he doesn't like something?

I'll extend this question to include most adults as well. People, no matter what age, need only to say that X = suxxors and that seems to be good enough.

There are exceptions, of course, but their rarity serves only to emphasize the rule.

9. Fun? Sep 27, 2010, 20:55 Ant

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 15:08:
As for Lego Universe, it's a very solid, very Kid/Adult friendly MMO.
But is it fun for adults? I don't have kids. I don't know if I would like it even though I have beta access. Is it worth tryinng or will I be wasting time for being bored with it?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

8. Re: LEGO Universe Gets Very Testy Sep 27, 2010, 20:21 Kxmode

Bill Borre wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 13:39:
Am I the only one who read that as "LEGO Universe Gets Very Tasty"? Must be lunchtime.

Finding a Lego Brick in your pastrami sandwich isn't fun! Brood

7. Re: LEGO Universe Gets Very Testy Sep 27, 2010, 18:58 eRe4s3r

6. Re: LEGO Universe Gets Very Testy Sep 27, 2010, 15:08 The Half Elf

No Bill I read the exact same thing.

As for Lego Universe, it's a very solid, very Kid/Adult friendly MMO.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. Re: LEGO Universe Gets Very Testy Sep 27, 2010, 14:13 Wolfen

Bill Borre wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 13:39:
Am I the only one who read that as "LEGO Universe Gets Very Tasty"? Must be lunchtime.

Maybe, but I wasnt thinking "testy" meant what they were saying.

4. Re: LEGO Universe Gets Very Testy Sep 27, 2010, 13:39 Bill Borre

3. Re: LEGO Universe Gets Very Testy Sep 27, 2010, 13:36 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 13:19:
The only question is, who wants feedback from children?
Companies who are wanting to sell the game to children?

2. Re: LEGO Universe Gets Very Testy Sep 27, 2010, 13:19 eRe4s3r

The only question is, who wants feedback from children?  

1. Re: LEGO Universe Gets Very Testy Sep 27, 2010, 12:32 Wolfen

Huh. I was told Ryan left Netdevil. =\  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo