Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3

Kotick slams Tim Schafer on Computer and Video Games has a response from the Activision CEO to harsh comments Double Fine Productions CEO Tim Schafer made about him a couple of months ago when Tim called him both a "dick" and a "prick." A previous (more timely) rebuttal from an Activision rep took issue with the implication that Kotick doesn't like games (as now does Kotick), and now Kotick himself takes a shot at Schafer's game: "I never had any involvement in the Vivendi project that they were doing, Brütal Legend, other than I was in one meeting where the guys looked at it and said, 'He's late, he's missed every milestone, he's overspent the budget and it doesn't seem like a good game. We're going to cancel it," he told Edge Magazine. ""And do you know what? That seemed like a sensible thing to do. And it turns out, he was late, he missed every milestone, the game was not a particularly good game..." Thanks joao. Unless, of course, this is just taken out of context, which Kotick says is usually the case (though that might be taken out of context).

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 28, 2010, 10:06 Elessar

Verno wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 16:09:
Elessar wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 15:29:
No need to get sassy.

Err, I wasn't. It was sarcasm.
Call it whatever you want. But you were, unnecessarily, being a sassy bitch. I didn't intentionally leave anything out, just offered some positives of the game. My post was rather benign, I wasn't freaking out over how great the game was, just that there were some cool parts to it that I enjoyed. I wasn't writing a review, if that's what you were looking for.

As for the game, while I agree it had some identity and flow issues, it by no means sucked. That's 1-4 out of 10 territory and there's no way it deserve a low score like that. Of course this is all subjective, but averages of 8+ from critics and users confirms that to a degree.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 18:21 Dr. D. Schreber

Overon wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 18:14:
These are high level executives acting like junior high schoolers.

Fixed.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

22. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 18:14 Overon

These are high level executive acting like junior high schoolers.  

21. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 18:11 Vulkan

Drezden wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 17:42:
Same as a huge fan of heavy metal in general, I found the world to be quite interesting, and what I expected a world based on heavy metal to look like. Although the RTS elements of Stage battles were a turn off. I quite enjoyed the rest of the world. To say it sucked is going a bit too far. it wasn't the best game ever but it wasn't Superman 64.

Yup, they had the whole metal vibe down pat. I can also say the soundtrack was the most kick ass collection of tunes I've ever seen in any single video game.

20. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 17:48 Roachmojo

kxmode wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 10:47:
*Hands Schafer a spork* Go after him Timmy! Defend thy honor!

LOL! "That's what you get, Kotick! You get spork stabbed!!"

19. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 17:42 Trevellian

Same as a huge fan of heavy metal in general, I found the world to be quite interesting, and what I expected a world based on heavy metal to look like. Although the RTS elements of Stage battles were a turn off. I quite enjoyed the rest of the world. To say it sucked is going a bit too far. it wasn't the best game ever but it wasn't Superman 64.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

18. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 17:02 Vulkan

For all its faults, I enjoyed Brutal Legend.  

17. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 16:57 WiillyWonka

Ruffiana wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 14:58:
Kotick is apparently not only a dick, but also a prick, a wanker, and a small penis...

*snicker* teeheehee *snicker*...

16. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 16:09 Verno

Elessar wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 15:29:
No need to get sassy.

Err, I wasn't. It was sarcasm.

But like I said, there were other elements that were enjoyable.

Individual elements unfortunately do not always mesh well in the product as a whole and Brutal Legend is the perfect example of a mediocre game that is definitely not more than the sum of its parts. People didn't pay $50 to see "an enjoyable world" or listen to Jack Black be silly for an hour of voiced dialogue. I'd contend that Brutal Legend does indeed "suck" because it never really feels like a cohesive title in addition to some questionable design choices.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

15. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 15:29 Elessar

Verno wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 14:41:
Elessar wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 14:41:
I disagree with both of you. It wasn't game of the year, but I certainly wouldn't go as far to say it sucked. The visual style and overall theme of the world was incredibly cool and the gameplay was serviceable enough to get you through that world. Also found the dialogue to be pretty funny.

Yes, it sure sounds like a great game when you only list the positive qualities and intentionally avoid mentioning it's gameplay identity problems and the other negative aspects that dragged it down and ultimately made it a poor seller despite heavy promotion from EA.
No need to get sassy.

It's simple. They were being vaguely negative about it, so I provided some positive and neutral points to contest that. That's how these things work. Not sure how you gather that "Brutal Legend is a great game" from my post. Certainly serviceable gameplay is not something to boast about. But like I said, there were other elements that were enjoyable.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2010, 16:04.

14. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 15:11 The Half Elf

Ok this is the post of the year.

BTW don't forget a tray and duct tape to use as a shield, as The Kotick has big gnarly teeth... and no neck

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 15:00 Kxmode

Ruffiana wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 14:58:
Kotick is apparently not only a dick, but also a prick, a wanker, and a huge penis.

Why is Tim Schafer so fixated on cock? Can he not come up with other derogatory terms for Kotick? How about soulless ass-clown?

Because it's a reoccurring theme in heavy metal.

12. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 14:58 Ruffiana

Kotick is apparently not only a dick, but also a prick, a wanker, and a huge penis.

Why is Tim Schafer so fixated on cock? Can he not come up with other derogatory terms for Kotick? How about soulless ass-clown?

11. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 14:41 Verno

Elessar wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 14:32:
Verno wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 11:35:
Roman wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 10:56:
Brutal Legend did suck though.

Yeah, it sure did.
I disagree with both of you. It wasn't game of the year, but I certainly wouldn't go as far to say it sucked. The visual style and overall theme of the world was incredibly cool and the gameplay was serviceable enough to get you through that world. Also found the dialogue to be pretty funny.

Yes, it sure sounds like a great game when you only list the positive qualities and intentionally avoid mentioning it's gameplay identity problems and the other negative aspects that dragged it down and ultimately made it a poor seller despite heavy promotion from EA.

10. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 14:32 Elessar

Verno wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 11:35:

Yeah, it sure did.

9. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 13:32 Dev

“In the few interviews that I gave, people were asking me ‘Do you play games today?’ I didn’t want to say ‘Oh yeah, yeah, I play 40 hours a week on Call of Duty, I can’t stop…’. That would just be disingenuous. I say ‘I’m a single father, I pick up my kids from school and we play games together’.”

And I have a hard time believing that he plays 40 hours a week of games, is a single dad, and is a CEO of one of the biggest game companies in existance. Saying "I didn't want to say" is NOT the same thing as saying he does it.

I think that his other quote is more accurate:
“It was one of those things where I had at one time said ‘Y’know, I don't play as much as I used to, I have three kids now, I’m working harder than I’ve ever worked before, I haven’t had the time to play games the way that I would have to, in the same way that I did in the past’.

Plus the fact him and his PR person got so upset at him being called a non gamer makes me think that's accurate.

I mean think about it, this is months later and its STILL sticking in his craw. It looks to me like HE brought it up in the interview, not the interviewer. If he had an ounce of sense he'd STFU about it so it wouldn't keep coming back in the news.

8. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 13:05 Steele Johnson

Brutal Legend took a long time to develop, it missed almost every milestone, and wasn't very good. So I suppose this guy has a point.  

7. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 11:44 Creston

Brutal Legend might have been late and over budget, but I'm not sure what that has to do with Bobby still being a giant fucking toolbag.

Creston

6. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 11:35 Verno

Yeah, it sure did.

5. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 11:23 Techie714 ©

LMAO!!!

Kx Strikes again!! =)

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo