Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Duke 3D Mod

The Gearbox Forums have screenshots of an Unreal-engine modification that's a planned remake of Duke Nukem 3D. This is all preliminary, as the author hasn't actually secured official permission for such a project, and has already abandoned a Daikatana remake due to lack of popularity and a SiN remake after it was shut down by rights holder Mumbo Jumbo. Thanks Morris.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 28, 2010, 13:01 Jerykk

Exactly. This isn't a Duke 3D mod; it's a recreation of an entire game. All these comparisons to modding other games is apples and oranges.

Two words: Black Mesa. It's a remake of HL1 with the Source engine. Do you think Valve will shut it down? No, because like all mods, it isn't being sold and doesn't claim to be an official product of Valve. If it turns out well, great, the IP gets positive attention. If turns out badly, oh well, it wasn't made by Valve anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 28, 2010, 12:15 shponglefan

Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 16:51:
No, but if I download UDK and recreate Oblivion you'd better believe they'd shut me down immediately.

Exactly. This isn't a Duke 3D mod; it's a recreation of an entire game. All these comparisons to modding other games is apples and oranges.

22. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 21:34 Jerykk

No, but if I download UDK and recreate Oblivion you'd better believe they'd shut me down immediately.

You sure about that? As long as you don't sell it or claim that it's an official product, I don't think they'd have a problem with it. Another thing to remember is that Duke 3D came out over a decade ago. If someone decided to remake Daggerfall in UDK, I highly doubt that Bethesda would get their panties in a bunch.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2010, 22:01.

21. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 16:51 Beamer

In any case, has Bethesda shut down all mods for their games? Nope. They support modding because they realize that mods really don't have any negative impact on their IP.

Also, there was a bit of media outrage, about the same amount as Hot Coffee would have received had it been any game not GTA or Mortal Kombat.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 16:26 kimbambaman

bhcompy wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 12:16:
How's about a Shogo remake

Duuuuuuuude. A Shogo remake would be AWESOME!

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

19. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 16:22 Wolfen

Jerykk wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 16:00:
And so did Oblivion and Fallout because it was merely possible to add nudity from moddig.

Really? I don't remember seeing media outrage about any mods for those games. There was an early "mod" for Oblivion that let you see boobs but again, the controversy there was because that stuff was already in the game. You just needed a mod to unlock it. There have been far more explicit mods for both Oblivion and Fallout 3 and nobody cares.

In any case, has Bethesda shut down all mods for their games? Nope. They support modding because they realize that mods really don't have any negative impact on their IP.

Oh it was nothing as insane as the GTA, but thats one of the things Bethesda was having trouble with for the game rating. It was all around the same time and a direct result of hot coffee.

18. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 16:16 Mashiki Amiketo

Jerykk wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 16:00:
They support modding because they realize that mods really don't have any negative impact on their IP.
I'd say it's more than that, they support mods because it has a positive impact on their IP. Easy to use modding tools+low learning curve for scripting, and you're in business.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 16:00 Jerykk

And so did Oblivion and Fallout because it was merely possible to add nudity from moddig.

Really? I don't remember seeing media outrage about any mods for those games. There was an early "mod" for Oblivion that let you see boobs but again, the controversy there was because that stuff was already in the game. You just needed a mod to unlock it. There have been far more explicit mods for both Oblivion and Fallout 3 and nobody cares.

16. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 15:54 StingingVelvet

Mod discussion asside, I wish more games were given modern system conversions, but not to this extent really. eDuke is awesome and all the Duke Nukem 3D update I need... same for GZDoom and various other things.

I'm really jazzed for DarkXL and DaggerXL, I wish I could send that dude money.

15. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 15:53 Wolfen

14. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 15:28 Jerykk

If someone releases a Duke mod that completely sucks it damages the brand.

I disagree. Mods are very clearly unofficial. They aren't sold in stores, they have no marketing and they don't use any corporate logos. When you want to play a mod, you have to actively seek it out. There's no way you could accidentally mistake it for an official product. As a result, if I see a crappy Star Wars mod, that has no effect on my perception of the brand as a whole. Now, if I see a string of crappy official games, movies, TV shows, etc, that damages the brand because those products were all officially endorsed representations of the IP.

If brands were held accountable for their mods, then Elder Scrolls and Fallout would be decried for featuring explicit nudity and sex. GTA:SA got a lot of flak for the hot coffee mod, but that's because the content was already in the game. The mod only unlocked it.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2010, 15:38.

13. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 14:33 Wolfen

Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 13:43:
Especially if the mod is better.

Actually it's more the latter.

If someone releases a Duke mod that completely sucks it damages the brand. If someone releases a Duke mod that completely sucks and has a hidden part where you can molest children, well... Game over, man, game over.

Logic at its finest. The whole point being, they dont want there IP messed with usually for "various" logical reasons. Not that I am a fan of mods getting "FOX'd". Been there myself ages ago. I think our mod was the second or third to get FOX'd. (Predator Quake hehe)

12. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 13:43 Beamer

Especially if the mod is better.

Actually it's more the latter.

If someone releases a Duke mod that completely sucks it damages the brand. If someone releases a Duke mod that completely sucks and has a hidden part where you can molest children, well... Game over, man, game over.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 12:53 Wolfen

DavidM wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 12:48:
"Especially if the mod is better"

This makes me chuckle, what with the debacle DNF has been for the last decade.

Yeah thats why I through that in. lol. Cause sometimes, lets be honest, mods are way better.

10. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 12:48 DavidM

"Especially if the mod is better"

This makes me chuckle, what with the debacle DNF has been for the last decade.

9. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 12:33 Wolfen

Jerykk wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 12:31:
I never really understood why IP owners so often decide to shut down mod projects using their IP. If the mod isn't being sold and the author doesn't claim to be the IP owner, what's the problem? All the mod will do is bring more attention to the IP.

Potential lost revenue. It could detract from there own products. Especially if the mod is better.

8. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 12:31 Jerykk

I never really understood why IP owners so often decide to shut down mod projects using their IP. If the mod isn't being sold and the author doesn't claim to be the IP owner, what's the problem? All the mod will do is bring more attention to the IP.  

7. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 12:17 Verno

Shogo is begging for a sandbox game remake.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

6. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 12:16 bhcompy

How's about a Shogo remake  

5. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 11:49 Nameless Again

I actually miss the deathmatch days of Duke Nukem, Blood, etc. The weapons were inventive and varied, the levels were full of invisible walls, ledges and elevated perches, etc. Deathmatch in those games were a BLAST. My best deathmatch kill ever came from Duke Nukem 3D.

A buddy and me were playing Pigsty (E4M5) over our old 33.6 modems, and while chasing each other through the level we had opened up all the doors. I was running through one long room and saw that two of the doors in the corner had created an artificial "room", ie. the corner formed two walls, and the doors the other two. I slipped in between the doors and saw that I had a perfect view of a closet across the way...one that held the rocket launcher. I ran over to it; the closet was textured with light gray tile, and steam pipes covered the wall, with the rocket launcher sitting square in the middle of the room. Then a light bulb went off in my head.

I quickly exited, brought up my shotgun and hunted down my friend. A few shots later, and I'm hightailing it back to the "door" room. I run up to the RL closet, and crouch. Pipe bomb, pipe bomb, pipe bomb, pipe bomb, pipe bomb, pipe bomb, encircling the edge of the closet. Then I sneak back to the pair of doors, my thumb ready on the detonator. I had my finger hovering over the 3 key in case I had to switch to shotgun in case he inadvertently saw me, and I had to fight my way out of the corner.

He comes running by, and misses the RL room, instead going into the judges chambers. A second later, he runs by again. Then, on the third pass, he runs passed the RL room, does a double take, and backs up. He runs in to collect his rocket launcher, and a column of flame and guts spray out of the opening, followed by a triumphant
"You killed Nailer" plastered across my screen.

It was a thing of beauty.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo