Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

GOG.com Interview

GoG.com's co-founder chats about its re-launch on Big Download is an interview with CD Projekt's Marcin Iwinski about the relaunch of GOG.com, and the publicity stunt that surrounded it. They discuss the new features coming to this service that allows the DRM-free purchase of good old games, and also discuss the debacle of the gimmicky way of unveiling the re-launch, admitting to missteps: "We are continuously looking through our forums and the web and yes, we still have a few surprises up our sleeves for our dear users. Obviously, we will be working hard now to regain the trust of the users, who did not feel good about our stunt, as we do value them and both the happy and unhappy ones are a vital part of our good old games community. I would like to encourage our faithful users to keep an eye on their mailboxes - there will be some surprises coming their way real soon."

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 27, 2010, 15:16 ColBlister

I cannot do business with a company that believes lying to their customers is a reasonable thing to do.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 27, 2010, 14:40 Elessar

space captain wrote on Sep 26, 2010, 16:13:
well, the website was down for 3 whole days.. so, you know - it was like the end of the world was nigh

its basically the same as 9/11
Silly rationalization.

It's called a bad joke. Call your family and tell them you broke your arm. Then show up 10 mins later and say "KIDDING! I actually got a raise at work, aren't you happy for me?!"

It's pointless, stupid and irrelevant. Even for that 10 min (3 day) period it probably bothered someone. Why would anyone want to do that? Especially when it comes to money in the case of GoG.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

22. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 27, 2010, 13:35 Kxmode

Golwar wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 02:06:
kxmode wrote on Sep 26, 2010, 20:42:
I still haven't received my free pony. Cry

There aint't any left. Only hamsters for the rest of us. But they add free saddles to them.

Woohoo \o/

21. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 27, 2010, 09:35 Kajetan

sauron wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 08:55:
What, vodka doesn't qualify as WMD? Polish overproof vodka sure seems dangerous to me.
Vodka from Poland is quite delicious, you can drink a lot without being dead-sick the other morning.

I would settle with GOG.com, if they would send me a bottle of Zubrówka. Or at least some credit notes for an online shop. Come on ...

20. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 27, 2010, 08:55 sauron

Golwar wrote on Sep 26, 2010, 17:59:
So Poland is now also part of the Axis of Evil? But I'm pretty sure that they don't have any WMD.

What, vodka doesn't qualify as WMD? Polish overproof vodka sure seems dangerous to me.

Kittens!

19. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 27, 2010, 07:46 El Pit

Golwar wrote on Sep 26, 2010, 17:59:
1badmf wrote on Sep 26, 2010, 15:35:
honestly, what was everybody so up-in-arms about? they stole your money? no? they stole your girlfriend? no? they pulled what amounted to a prank? yeah? really? that's what got everybody's panties in a bunch? wow. I mean, even in the surreal sheltered reality that is my life I can't imagine being pissed about that.

well, the website was down for 3 whole days.. so, you know - it was like the end of the world was nigh

So Poland is now also part of the Axis of Evil?
But I'm pretty sure that they don't have any WMD. So they are probably just a little bit evil.

Of course Poland is evil. Proof: Its president attacked Russian ground with his airplane.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

18. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 27, 2010, 07:44 El Pit

honestly, what was everybody so up-in-arms about? they stole your money? no? they stole your girlfriend? no? they pulled what amounted to a prank? yeah? really? that's what got everybody's panties in a bunch? wow. I mean, even in the surreal sheltered reality that is my life I can't imagine being pissed about that.

So you're gonna throw bombs on another, not at all involved developer?

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

17. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 27, 2010, 02:06 Golwar

kxmode wrote on Sep 26, 2010, 20:42:

There aint't any left. Only hamsters for the rest of us. But they add free saddles to them.

16. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 26, 2010, 23:18 Dev

I would have accepted the apologies as genuine if:

a) They gave full disclosure after they knew the site shutdown with the closedown message was causing users to become upset. Didn't happen, they waited until they brought the site up a good chunk of a week later. In other words, they SAW it was a bad strategy and STUCK WITH IT, instead of ending it and apologizing.

b) They didn't do a mocking fake monk apology. And this joke wasn't just in 1 video, it was in 4 or 5 vidoes. Not at all genuine to me.

This stuff about "valuing" customers rings a false note to me given the above. The whole stunt seems more like arrogance to me "you guys don't deserve to know that we aren't actually shutting down, and while we are on that topic you don't deserve an actual apology either, so here's a fake one"

And please, no more "surprises" if they are anything within a light year of what was already pulled with trying to mislead paying customers that GoG went under.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2010, 23:39.

15. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 26, 2010, 23:05 Verno

I wonder if they would be as amused if the community filed credit card chargebacks as a joke. We were just kidding about giving you that money, we're jokers like that Builder  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

14. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 26, 2010, 22:29 Overon

Bah I like their prank. I think they are cooler for it.  

13. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 26, 2010, 20:42 Kxmode

12. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 26, 2010, 19:53 space captain

Prez wrote on Sep 26, 2010, 19:46:
- just picked up Age of Wonders.

thats a fun game, i liked it much better than HOMM at the time.. only thing is, you can level up your hero so much he becomes basically unstoppable, like you can take on armies of dudes with just him alone.. not a huge problem tho

Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 26, 2010, 19:46 Prez

It was a really stupid stunt, but I'm over it. I'm back to buying games from them - just picked up Age of Wonders. Just hope they learned their lesson.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 26, 2010, 18:43 Dr. D. Schreber

I dislocated my knee the day GOG went down.

God, I wish I was kidding.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

9. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 26, 2010, 17:59 Golwar

So Poland is now also part of the Axis of Evil?
But I'm pretty sure that they don't have any WMD. So they are probably just a little bit evil.

8. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 26, 2010, 17:31 The Half Elf

I really can't take your comment seriously with a name like 1badmf.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 26, 2010, 16:13 space captain

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 26, 2010, 15:57 Wolfen

Well thats you.

5. Re: GOG.com Interview Sep 26, 2010, 15:57 Kajetan

Go, read the old discussions. There are plenty of reasons why people are pissed about this PR stunt. No need to repeat them all especially for you ...

And yes, i too am waiting for my promised pony!!!!

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo