Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's this week's list of bestselling games on Steam, Valve's digital distribution service.

1. Sid Meier's Civilization V
  2. F1 2010
  3. Serious Sam HD: Gold Edition
  4. Darksiders
  5. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
  6. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
  7. Left 4 Dead 2
  8. Garry's Mod
  9. R.U.S.E.
  10. Dead Rising 2

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Dead Rising 2 Sep 28, 2010, 17:22 Sepharo

Mark wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 09:13:
Another problem I have is how the game switches you to your next inventory item when your weapon breaks or is out of ammo. I've wasted a few food items because of this.

That was another problem with the first one that essentially caused me to quit playing. Kept eating my health replenishers when I didn't intend to.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Dead Rising 2 Sep 28, 2010, 09:13 Mark

I read about how the game is meant for multiple playthroughs since your skills/experience are saved for the next game, so I've been deliberately avoiding boss fights since they seem far too powerful on my first run.

However, I came across my first compulsory boss fight (Spoiler: the two girls), and after dying a few times I thought I'd end up stuck at that point. But then I discovered how blending two of the same drink gives you more resistance to damage. (Spoiler: Also, I found out you only need to kill one of the two girls to continue.)

One thing I'm finding very tricky is picking up specific objects. Sometimes you have to fine tune where you're standing in order to find the right hotspot. This is really frustrating when you're trying to feed your AI follower in the middle of a fight so that he doesn't die.

Another problem I have is how the game switches you to your next inventory item when your weapon breaks or is out of ammo. I've wasted a few food items because of this.

Despite all these frustrations, the game then had me playing strip poker which had me laughing. All was good again.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2010, 09:24.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2010, 01:31 Jerykk

I hate the time-limits and safe-points and overpowered psychopaths in DR2 so bad that I stopped playing it 6 hours in.

Yeah, both those things are pretty annoying. The boss fights get easier as you level up (especially once you get the Dodge move) but the controls are still way too sluggish for the timing and precision required in the boss fights. It's also really annoying when zombies keep interrupting the fight and grapple you at the worst possible moment.

Still, in spite of these flaws, I find the game rather addictive. I hope there's a free roam mode or something after you beat the game so you can freely explore and partake in the minigames without having to worry about time limits.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2010, 22:18 Eldaron Imotholin

I hate the time-limits and safe-points and overpowered psychopaths in DR2 so bad that I stopped playing it 6 hours in.  

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2010, 17:32 Creston

Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 07:40:
J wrote on Sep 26, 2010, 19:43:
Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 26, 2010, 19:06:
Huh... it's the first advertisement when you visit www.steampowered.com. In addition, typing "darksiders" into the search field returns the game for purchase. Try again?

I bet it's some stateside limited territory thing. I'm in the UK and I can't find it on steampowered.com either. *shakes tiny fist*

Your first is tiny? Care to be my doctor?

:O

That Amnesia vid is pretty cool, even if some people are just hamming it up way too much.

Creston

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2010, 08:51 Verno

zirik wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 00:20:
Verno wrote on Sep 26, 2010, 23:04:
People don't care about the literal definition of a game.

im sure there are a couple that do care. the creators of R.U.S.E and Dead Rising 2. their games got outsold by a mod tool.

It was on sale, that totally skews the statistics. Dead Rising 2 isn't even out yet, it's preorders until Tuesday.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2010, 08:00 DErAileD

Pass it on, then! I want my boys at Frictional to earn some $$ so they can make another excellent game.  

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2010, 07:40 Fibrocyte

J wrote on Sep 26, 2010, 19:43:
Huh... it's the first advertisement when you visit www.steampowered.com. In addition, typing "darksiders" into the search field returns the game for purchase. Try again?

I bet it's some stateside limited territory thing. I'm in the UK and I can't find it on steampowered.com either. *shakes tiny fist*

Your first is tiny? Care to be my doctor?

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2010, 05:48 Mark

With Garry's Mod you have access to some excellent game modes such as Trouble in Terrorist Town. Another game mode I tried involved having a few minutes to construct a boat, then the water rises. If your boat doesn't float then you'll end up drowning and you're out of the round. I rarely play the default construction mode in Garry's Mod.

I'm really surprised to see Dead Rising 2 at the bottom of the Top 10!

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2010, 05:27 xXBatmanXx

zirik wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 00:20:

im sure there are a couple that do care. the creators of R.U.S.E and Dead Rising 2. their games got outsold by a mod tool.

It was also less than $5.00!

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2010, 03:42 Dr. D. Schreber

zirik wrote on Sep 26, 2010, 22:51:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Sep 26, 2010, 18:50:
Good to see Garrys mod up there.

garys mod is a game? i thought it was just a tool that gives people access to half life 2 assets and allow them to mess with the physics?

You can get actual gameplay out of it by hopping onto servers people have set crazy sandboxes up in. It's basically Physics: The MMO.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2010, 01:47 Cram

That was one of the funniest videos I've ever seen/heard.

DErAileD wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 01:24:
I'm upset that Amnesia: Dark Descent has fallen from the top 10. I mean, c'mon, a game that produces scares like this should stay in the top 10 at least 2-3 weeks after release.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2010, 01:24 DErAileD

I'm upset that Amnesia: Dark Descent has fallen from the top 10. I mean, c'mon, a game that produces scares like this should stay in the top 10 at least 2-3 weeks after release.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2010, 00:20 zirik

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 26, 2010, 23:04 Verno

zirik wrote on Sep 26, 2010, 22:51:

garys mod is a game? i thought it was just a tool that gives people access to half life 2 assets and allow them to mess with the physics?

People don't care about the literal definition of a game. They enjoy doing it and will continue to do so, that's all that really matters. Minecraft isn't really much of a "game" either but it's incredibly popular(god knows why, its Java Lego for OCD types but to each his own I guess).

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 26, 2010, 22:51 zirik

10. Re: Civ V Sep 26, 2010, 21:53 Bhruic

The limited number of maps is something I hope will change as patches come out.

There isn't actually a limited number of maps, they just make it look that way. If you go to Advanced when you are setting up a game, you can choose from a much larger selection of maps. No idea why they didn't just allow you to do that from the beginning, but Civ IV did something similar. I seem to remember them saying something about people being "overwhelmed by too many choices".

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 26, 2010, 21:27 Alamar

I am really enjoying Darksiders... On the final boss now... 15 or so hours in...

I have always enjoyed this style of game (Zelda, Metroid, Legacy of Kain series, etc)... And I really like how they 'ported' it to PC... I play it like a shooter (WASD + Mouse), and most of the built in controls are natural, and the most amazing part (compared to Soul Reaver games) is that you can turn on a dime, and I love that... I hated falling off ledges because my character had to slowly turn around (and to the side)... and gliding is also better...

I haven't played it for either console, so I can't comment on what's changed, but I think it looks and plays great.

-Alamar

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 26, 2010, 19:43 J

7. Civ V Sep 26, 2010, 19:28 Cholma

Civ V is eating up wayyy too much of my time this weekend, but there are a few things I wish they didn't change. Like removing the clock in the upper right. The limited number of maps is something I hope will change as patches come out.

The no-stacking rule for non-combat units eliminates using extra workers to speed improvements.

The only real annoyance is the constant "trade route broken" messages when there's nothing wrong with the route. Full network of roads between cities and my Capitol and yet every couple of turns: "route broken" followed by "route connected".

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo