Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies

Atomic Games president and former Bungie VP Peter Tamte calls out Bobby Kotick in a letter to the editor on Kotaku following the Activision CEO's recent comment calling Bungie "probably the last remaining high quality independent developer" (thanks joao). Tamte tells Kotick: "If this is true, you're screwed," pointing out that the indie developers that giants like Activision enjoy gobbling up are the source of many of the industry's innovations. In the end, he shifts gears, and challenges the assertion that Activision is a leader in online gaming, connecting this back to the indie theme:

You've called Activision the industry's online leader. If you think the newest Call of Duty online experience is that innovative, let players buy just the online part of Call of Duty Black Ops and charge them a fair price.

In fact, we'll make you a deal. Let consumers buy just the online part of Call of Duty, and we'll give you a starring role in our new online game, Breach. Trust me, starring in your own videogame would give you huge street cred. We've even mocked up a screenshot to show you how cool you'd look in Breach.

As an independent developer, Atomic can't spend its way to big sales, like Activision can. We have to innovate. So, if you're confident Activision can innovate without independent developers, this is your opportunity to prove it.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

8. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 15:08 ColoradoHoudini

I don't care if this hits the mark or not.. any time someone calls out that bag of douche Kotick.. I'm all for it  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 13:43 Kxmode

Kotick loves to wake up and talk smack. It's his lot in life.  

6. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 13:36 Dev

eunichron wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 13:31:
Ferazel wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 13:06:
I don't think that charging for the online portion of a game (in this case Fallujah for Breach) is that innovative of a move.

It's not innovative... it's a business move.

On that note, when did innovation in games apply to the economic side of the industry and not in, you know, the actual games?
When they started innovating for the stockholders and not the gamers. Such as the innovative move of putting ads in game. I mean after all, they are in TV shows already, why not games, right?

5. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 13:31 eunichron

Ferazel wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 13:06:
I don't think that charging for the online portion of a game (in this case Fallujah for Breach) is that innovative of a move.

It's not innovative... it's a business move.

On that note, when did innovation in games apply to the economic side of the industry and not in, you know, the actual games?

4. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 13:28 bhcompy

nin wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 13:17:
As an independent developer, Atomic can't spend its way to big sales, like Activision can.

But they know a marketing opportunity when they see one...

Free press is the best press. Even John Romero would agree

3. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 13:17 nin

As an independent developer, Atomic can't spend its way to big sales, like Activision can.

But they know a marketing opportunity when they see one...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 13:06 Ferazel

This email just sounds like a marketing ploy to promote his own game.

1. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 12:54 Dev

The bad thing is, I think they are already planning to sell the online portion separately *cough* charge more *cough* based on previous Kotick comments.  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo