Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies

Atomic Games president and former Bungie VP Peter Tamte calls out Bobby Kotick in a letter to the editor on Kotaku following the Activision CEO's recent comment calling Bungie "probably the last remaining high quality independent developer" (thanks joao). Tamte tells Kotick: "If this is true, you're screwed," pointing out that the indie developers that giants like Activision enjoy gobbling up are the source of many of the industry's innovations. In the end, he shifts gears, and challenges the assertion that Activision is a leader in online gaming, connecting this back to the indie theme:

You've called Activision the industry's online leader. If you think the newest Call of Duty online experience is that innovative, let players buy just the online part of Call of Duty Black Ops and charge them a fair price.

In fact, we'll make you a deal. Let consumers buy just the online part of Call of Duty, and we'll give you a starring role in our new online game, Breach. Trust me, starring in your own videogame would give you huge street cred. We've even mocked up a screenshot to show you how cool you'd look in Breach.

As an independent developer, Atomic can't spend its way to big sales, like Activision can. We have to innovate. So, if you're confident Activision can innovate without independent developers, this is your opportunity to prove it.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 21:43 xXBatmanXx

Awesome. Call his lame ass out!  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 21:28 Sepharo

Slashman wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 20:51:
Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 20:09:
Well, I avoid supporting Activision wherever possible - which is the vast majority of their games. That's my fuck you to Bobby and shareholders. That's all you need to do to get him fired.

I think the point Dr. Schreber was making is that the vast majority of humans are sheep.

Us folks who post in these forums and have actual opinions that clash and are hashed out(even if things get unpleasant at times), don't represent the average consumer. What we consume may sometimes line up with the average consumer, but most people don't question anything. They just consume.

It is for that reason that companies like Activision can continue to exist and prosper. We may hate that, but short of waking the world up, nothing will really change.

Even if a company comes along and does it 'right' and makes an actual decent product that a lot of people buy and enjoy, those same people will still turn around and patronize cookie cutter crap put out by the same large corporate dickweeds we love to hate.

Though it may be a bit circle-jerky I'm going to say QFT!

26. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 20:51 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 20:09:
Well, I avoid supporting Activision wherever possible - which is the vast majority of their games. That's my fuck you to Bobby and shareholders. That's all you need to do to get him fired.

I think the point Dr. Schreber was making is that the vast majority of humans are sheep.

Us folks who post in these forums and have actual opinions that clash and are hashed out(even if things get unpleasant at times), don't represent the average consumer. What we consume may sometimes line up with the average consumer, but most people don't question anything. They just consume.

It is for that reason that companies like Activision can continue to exist and prosper. We may hate that, but short of waking the world up, nothing will really change.

Even if a company comes along and does it 'right' and makes an actual decent product that a lot of people buy and enjoy, those same people will still turn around and patronize cookie cutter crap put out by the same large corporate dickweeds we love to hate.

25. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 20:46 007Bistromath

The hilarious thing here is that Tamte has basically screwed us all over with his misguided challenge. He's giving Kotick ideas: there is now a non-zero probability that he will make an online-only version of Black Ops available, and charge us a monthly for it in the process. He's been quoted several times as planning to do exactly that with this series, and Tamte has basically just stared him in the eyes and said "do it, faggot."  

24. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 20:09 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

23. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 19:50 Dr. D. Schreber

Sempai wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 19:17:
zirik wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 18:58:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 18:43:
zirik wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 17:50:
wonder how long til kotick retracts his comments.

Why in the world would he do that? Because someone who's clearly not as good at making money and a bunch of angry forum-goers say he's wrong?

sorry, my bad. i meant to say tamte. who was the other guy who criticized kotick then later retracted everything he said? activision is too big to ignore especially with tamte's comments. it will burn bridges and bite him in the ass one day.

Yeah..so lets kiss the giant evil corporations ass so they don't bring the wrath down upon our heads or we will never make it in the video game industry!

You sir have obviously bought into fear and not upsetting the apple cart.

Fuck Kotick and his company. Trust me, what comes around goes around, his day will come.

..And im pretty sure Tamte is shaking in his boots..

Yes, I am clearly afraid that armed men dressed in black are going to bust into my room, throw a bag over my head, and drag me to a Capitalist Re-education Camp.

See, the problem is, you aren't actually doing anything. You can say "fuck Kotick" ten times a day, you can sit in a chair with your hands balled into fists as you quake with such epic rage passers-by will think you're constipated, you can attempt to master the art of hating someone to death through sheer force of will, and you know what happens?

Nothing. Nothing happens.

You know what happens when an independent developer talks about what a bad person Bobby Kotick is? Businessmen think he's loony because Kotick is the one who's actually making his shareholders a giant pile of money.

Change follows profit. Raising an internet army to stand against the tyranny of Activision does absolutely nothing. For all the posturing, all the posts people make declaring how every decision Bobby Kotick makes is so stupid it just has to get him fired this time, for all the superiority complexes, nothing's actually ever changed, has it?

You seriously think it's an intelligent question to ask when Bobby Kotick is going to retract his statement? It's a PR line, not actual conversation. The point of PR is to paint the company in a positive light, even if it's proven incorrect. That doesn't even matter. It doesn't matter if the company is filing for bankruptcy. When Saddam's lackey let out propaganda that US forces were so disorganized and beaten they were committing suicide in the streets, do you think he believed it or cared if it was true?

If you want to change things, you need to actually convince people to be better consumers, and that's not going to happen in the arena of video-game rights and wrongs. It just isn't. People in the Western world are too conditioned to the throw-away society to actually look at any one subject matter, any one product, and understand the ins and outs of voting with their dollars.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

22. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 19:18 Sempai

Dev wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 19:13:
Sempai wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 17:38:
If you allow me to curb stomp Koticks face in your new game, i promise to buy it day one.

I should make a flash game and charge $10 for it for people to do that

/Gives Dev $10

21. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 19:17 Sempai

zirik wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 18:58:

Why in the world would he do that? Because someone who's clearly not as good at making money and a bunch of angry forum-goers say he's wrong?

sorry, my bad. i meant to say tamte. who was the other guy who criticized kotick then later retracted everything he said? activision is too big to ignore especially with tamte's comments. it will burn bridges and bite him in the ass one day.

Yeah..so lets kiss the giant evil corporations ass so they don't bring the wrath down upon our heads or we will never make it in the video game industry!

You sir have obviously bought into fear and not upsetting the apple cart.

Fuck Kotick and his company. Trust me, what comes around goes around, his day will come.

..And im pretty sure Tamte is shaking in his boots..

20. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 19:13 Dev

If you allow me to curb stomp Koticks face in your new game, i promise to buy it day one.

I should make a flash game and charge $10 for it for people to do that

19. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 18:58 zirik

18. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 18:43 Dr. D. Schreber

Business douchebaggery is driven by business mentality more than douchebag mentality. Being a douchebag is just a bonus.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

17. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 18:41 Sabre Wulf

In the long run Kotick doesn't care if he makes these comments, he's getting paid to bring press and revenue to Activision. Even if he makes 1% of 1% on the annually revenue generated from just top tittles like WoW and other titles under the Activision umbrella, he is still making more than you (and most of us here) from your hard earned dime. If you truly want to hurt him where it counts, you would boycott his company and the games produced under the Activision umbrella. Until that or something like this happens, he will sit back and glimmer on the free press generated from his comments no matter how retarded you or anyone seems to think they are.

16. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 18:06 bhcompy

The same day WoW goes F2P

15. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 17:50 zirik

14. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 17:38 Sempai

13. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 17:16 Golwar

nin wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 13:17:
As an independent developer, Atomic can't spend its way to big sales, like Activision can.

But they know a marketing opportunity when they see one...

Hehe, indeed. Perhaps GoG should be advised to blame Kotick too, there ain't an easier way to join the good side once again.

12. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 16:41 Sty

eunichron wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 13:31:
... when did innovation in games apply to the economic side of the industry and not in, you know, the actual games?

Bingo. Coattail publicity on dumb-ass rabble.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

11. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 16:13 Cutter

So long as there's an actual cost savings to consumers I'd rather see the online and single-player sold seperately for most games.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

10. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 15:22 SpectralMeat

Ferazel wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 13:06:
This email just sounds like a marketing ploy to promote his own game.
Even if that is the case (which I highly doubt it is) I'd much rather see them promoting their game than Kotick promoting his bullshit idiotic ideas about the future of Activision games and how to rake in even more money.

Steam: SpectralMeat

9. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 15:18 Beamer

Tamte is good people.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >