Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GOG.com Update

GOG.com has word that their re-launch is hitting some speed bumps, saying: "Sorry everyone for the delay in the launch of the new website. Our servers, even thou [sic] we've augmented their number, just didn't manage to support the huge interest from your side. We're adding more servers as we speak and everything should start improving. Enjoy the new website, all the features and the newelly [sic] released Baldur's Gate."

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 24, 2010, 09:05 Dev

Prez wrote on Sep 24, 2010, 00:37:
Generally apologies don't work in this industry. They certainly didn't seem to do much for Brad Wardell's image following the Elemental release.

I'm generally willing to give stardock the benefit of the doubt, they've earned it in the past. I've purchased a number of things on impulse from them before, including the sins games.

However, with stardock, its reached the point with TWO screwed releases in a row (elemental and demigod), that I now have to see actions instead of words. I won't buy elemental until its fixed and I won't be pre-ordering stuff from them anytime soon (I preordered sins for instance), I'll wait to see reviews.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 24, 2010, 00:37 Prez

Generally apologies don't work in this industry. They certainly didn't seem to do much for Brad Wardell's image following the Elemental release.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 23:51 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 23:13:
They don't have any cats

They already apologized (properly) in the Forums though. Now if they could just get their arses moving and do the same via Email...
Was it anything like the "lets make fun of monks" apology? Because that was NOT a "proper" apology.

32. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 23:37 Prez

space captain wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 20:09:
TOTALLY!! im gonna follow them home and murder their cats

Won't anyone think of the cats?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

31. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 23:13 eRe4s3r

They don't have any cats

They already apologized (properly) in the Forums though. Now if they could just get their arses moving and do the same via Email...

30. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 20:09 space captain

TOTALLY!! im gonna follow them home and murder their cats  
Go forth, and kill!

29. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 20:08 CJ_Parker

Ray Marden wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 17:37:
I kind of hope they fail now.

The company that prided itself on DRM-free games willfully took the site down for a hoax PR stunt, brings back the site without major changes, and brags about how great it is...
Time to die.
Not planning on purchasing from them

100% ACK + QFE. They can go and fuck themselves big time as far as moi is concerned.

28. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 19:23 Prez

Wow. How fast can a well-respected company squander its hard earned trust and praise? Pretty damn fast apparently. GOG deserves to exist, just for doing what they do - keeping great classic games alive in DRM-fee form. But they sure just made it harder on themselves to remain in existence. Probably one of the worst stunts in gaming history.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 19:19 SirKnight

I still use GetRight. Mostly as my torrent (legal stuff!) downloader though.  

26. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 17:37 Ray Marden

I kind of hope they fail now.

The company that prided itself on DRM-free games willfully took the site down for a hoax PR stunt, brings back the site without major changes, and brags about how great it is...
Time to die.
Not planning on purchasing from them,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

25. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 17:25 doktor_tchock

My theory on the cause of GOG's present issues, following the site re-launch:

Not new purchases/customers, but rather current/former customers downloading all the games they had purchased, but had not yet downloaded.

I know this is what I wanted to do as soon as they re-launched, but sadly, their site is up-and-down right now and the downloader is not working.

I agree with others' sentiments here... This was hands down my favorite digital game distribution site, before this. I will probably still shop there, but they definitely destroyed some good will here.

24. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 16:32 Shok

I use Free download manager. I only started using it a few months ago but for something free I was surprised how compareable it was to GetRight, and IMHO, better.  

23. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 16:06 Enahs

spindoctor wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 15:10:
Dev wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 12:43:
Heh yeah I bet you are right. Thats what I'm doing right now.

Same here. They seem to have gotten rid of their downloader as well. Not that it matters too much, but I have slow internet and having the ability to resume downloads was definitely appreciated.

If you do not actually close Firefox down, it usually can resume downloads.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

22. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 16:01 Ecthelion

Dev wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 15:15:

Same here. They seem to have gotten rid of their downloader as well. Not that it matters too much, but I have slow internet and having the ability to resume downloads was definitely appreciated.

There are download helpers that can resume... I used to use one way back in the day called getright. Dunno if its still around anymore.
GetRight was the first shareware program I ever bought. It was awesome back before I had "real" broadband (I say real because a lot of broadband isn't "broad" at all). I used to download files up to a gig in size, on dial-up. Of course it took quite a long time, but I could use GetRight to download it only at night. Of course, most BitTorrent programs have that kind of functionality built in now.

21. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 15:22 killer_roach

Personally, I just wish it would allow me to log in under Chrome (7.0.517.8)... I guess I might just have to use a new browser just to buy Baldur's Gate...

EDIT: Seems to be working fine in the Canary builds, though... odd.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2010, 15:52.

20. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 15:15 Dev

There are download helpers that can resume... I used to use one way back in the day called getright. Dunno if its still around anymore.

19. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 15:10 spindoctor

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

18. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 15:07 eRe4s3r

Or write in blood so they can hear you across dimensions. (obscure DnD reference..)  

17. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 14:53 kimbambaman

kxmode wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 10:57:
I WANT MY FREE PONY GOG. I'M TALKING WITH MY CAPLOCKS ENABLED SO YOU KNOW I'M SERIOUS.

Use bold so they can hear you across domains.

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

16. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 13:17 SBlat

Nameless Again wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 12:20:
Shit, the reason their servers crashed is all their new ex-customers going up and grabbing their games for local backup.

Seriously, it takes like 2-3 attempts to get a download to start. Once it gets past the gog.com gatekeeper though, it's pretty fast (the downloads themselves are hosted on a CDN).

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo