Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated]

GOG.com now offers an explanation for the recent closure of their site, which turns out to have been a publicity stunt, as many had speculated. This is part of a run-up to a re-launch of the service at 8:00 am EDT tomorrow morning, and they currently have a timer counting down to that point. They also offer a trailer where the site's cofounders dress as monks to admit to the "sin" of their hoax, and express regrets to their users, though they don't seem to take too much responsibility for the fallout of implying the service might be ending, harkening back to a time when the industry didn't take itself so seriously. Update: Gamasutra has word from their online press conference confirming speculation that Baldur's Gate will be added to the service, saying the beloved D&D RPG will be available when they re-launch, bundled with the Tales of the Sword Coast add-on for $9.99 USD. Here's GOG.com's statement:

First of all we would like to apologize everyone who felt deceived or harmed in any way by us closing down GOG.com without any warning and without giving access to your games. We apologize for that from the bottom of our hearts!

Now it's time we put an end to all the speculations once and for all. It’s true that we decided that we couldn't keep GOG.com the way it was… so we won’t. As you probably know by now, GOG.com is entering its new era with an end of the two-years beta stage and we're launching a brand new GOG.com with new, huge releases.

The new GOG.com will launch at 8.00 a.m. EDT (2 p.m. CET). Later today we'll provide you here with 4 videos where you'll find all needed information about the current events, as well as news on the new GOG.com, the upcoming big releases and the summary of the last two years.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

110. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 26, 2010, 07:09 theyarecomingforyou

Exactly. New challenges implys that it's not over doesn't it. They literally did take down the old service, and are putting up a new one. While their messages were misleading, if you really payed attention to them they have a feeling of "hold on something is around the corner" rather than "haha you all got pwned worse than the latest eve scam"
Nonsense. That's the typical PR bullshit you get every time any company shuts down and everything implied that GOG was finished. They acted like pricks as a marketing stunt and I'm sick of people like you defending them. That said, I don't have any problem continuing to use their service but I just don't find the price points and needing to manually install each games separately particularly appealing. I'll stick to Steam.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

109. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 23, 2010, 08:35 gilly775

Not a good way to maintain and attract new customers. Epic fail on their marketing attempt. I'll stick with Steam and Impulse, thank you.  

108. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 23, 2010, 08:01 BobBob

This was what all the fuss was about? New site is pointless.  

107. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 23, 2010, 05:08 saluk

"We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await."

Exactly. New challenges implys that it's not over doesn't it. They literally did take down the old service, and are putting up a new one. While their messages were misleading, if you really payed attention to them they have a feeling of "hold on something is around the corner" rather than "haha you all got pwned worse than the latest eve scam"

I think they should have been more up front about it, being up front about what you get is what gog has been about, and if this is signifying a new era of being just like the rest of them, a black box, since beta is over, that's not a good sign.

I love the little videos though

106. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 23, 2010, 04:36 InBlack

Wolf! Woooollllfff!! Wolf!!!

Just kidding!

I have a nifty blue line!

105. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 23:18 Beamer

Mountains

Out

Of

Mole Hills

I agree entirely. Their closing wasn't well veiled.

But people hate lame hoaxes. While they may enjoy good ones, they hate lame ones. See: that new Joaquin Phoenix movie. Or, well, don't see it, no one else is, because everyone is annoyed that the movie thought we'd buy into the hoax, then denied it was a hoax.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

104. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 22:21 Dev

PHJF wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 22:08:
Mountains

Out

Of

Mole Hills
I agree. When they chose to pursue this stupid strategy for service migration they were making mountains (what ended up happening) out of molehills (what should have been an orderly transition with full customer informing and service).

103. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 22:17 Reactor

Totally agree, PHJF. All I'll say is that I'm a fan of a monk clips.  

102. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 22:08 PHJF

Mountains

Out

Of

Mole Hills

Steam + PSN: PHJF

101. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 21:35 Dev

CannibalBob wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 21:34:
Heh, I figured it was just a stunt. I mean, if you read the messages they posted carefully, they never exactly and clearly say that they are shutting down and staying down. Rather, they say things like "it was a good run", which, on its own, simply means "thank you". Nothing wrong with saying "thank you" to your customers once in a while.

Depends on how you read it. Go read back in the thread for the quote (or click the bluesnews link in the story above where he quotes it), they did say they were closing GoG down, on gog.com even. I'm guessing you may not have visited their website when they first shutdown.

You are one of like 5 or 10 people in the thread to claim this despite the quotes that blues had in his blurbs.

I'll quote it again (its now been quoted several times in this thread)
We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.
If you read that literally, it sounds like they are shutting down for good.

Yeah, I figured out it MIGHT be a stunt after a few days, once they started putting additional bits on their site, but I also thought they mighta gotten bought out by steam since they spoke about how hard it was to keep DRM free.

If someone was able to get that they were NOT closing out of their initial no details message, I wonder if they were one of the ones that thought that blizzard was going to charge monthly fees for battlenet with SC2 since they didn't say they wouldn't?

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2010, 22:02.

100. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 21:34 CannibalBob

Heh, I figured it was just a stunt. I mean, if you read the messages they posted carefully, they never exactly and clearly say that they are shutting down and staying down. Rather, they say things like "it was a good run", which, on its own, simply means "thank you". Nothing wrong with saying "thank you" to your customers once in a while.  

"If you like it, they will stop making it" - Herblock's Law

99. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 21:13 StingingVelvet

If they're still DRM-free I'll buy from them, as DRM free means no worries about them closing, but wow what a waste of fucking time and what a bad message to send about digital distribution.  

98. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 21:05 Dev

GeneralAdmission wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 15:41:
While the story is obviously different from this GOG circus, I think the so-called moral is the same. Screwing with people who trust you and then telling them later it was a farce doesn't just make things OK. GOG, I'm glad you aren't dead/merged/gone, but there had to be a better way of launching this change than stepping on the trust and goodwill of your customers.

FAIL.
^^ This. And thanks for relating that story. I'd feel terrible too about that.

Jay wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 17:31:
I suppose if you treated GOG like a bank (ie they hold your assets), you'd be upset, but if you treated it like a retail store you wouldn't be.
Why not? I went to a store today and they had a sign on it saying their credit card processing was down for this week, so they were taking cash only. That peeves me. If I saw a sign that
said they were closing down (like I've seen on compusa and circuit city) and I bought stuff from them, I'd be peeved too.

97. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 20:59 Kxmode

I find it quite odd that I would receive constant emails announcing promotional deals but I haven't seen one email about this PR stunt.  

96. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 20:27 Rosco

and I'm still waiting for them to publish System Shock and System Shock 2 that will run on Vista or 7.

Never got a chance to play the first one, and try as I may, I just cannot get System Shock 2 to run. And my SS2 CD still looks almost new, been too long since I played that game.

Consoles are schwag.

95. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 20:10 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, looking forward to gog.com having a much larger library. This whole ad campaign was a bit lame, but a large portion of the world functions under the belief that no publicity is bad publicity, so what can you do.

I feel sorry for the relatively few number of people who got shut down in the middle of downloading games, ouch.

I hadn't bought anything from GOG before, because I already owned anything I thought was halfway decent on there... hopefully they will have basically EVERYTHING now, drm free.

94. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 20:08 Prez

Yay! All of the holier-than-thou people are out in force telling us we don't have the right to be pissed over a really obnoxious publicity stunt. I love it when the self-righteous lurkers come out of the woodwork to set us straight.

I'll keep buying games from GOG as long as they're around and DRM-free, but that may not be for as long as they envisioned after this public relations disaster.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

93. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 19:54 javajeff

What they did has the entire internet talking about it, so it is brilliant. Their current clientele is very small compared to what they need, so it was likely worth the risk of losing some people. Gog.com has extremely high Professionalism since that is what marketing is all about. Using a radical approach to attract people is fine, and they said people would be able to access their games again on Thursday.

I have no problem with what they did, because I do not trust any company. I am at the age where I just do not care or get worked up about what they do. I bought 1 game from them, downloaded it and backed it up so if they ever went out of business I would be in great shape.

The pictures of food in menus and on boxes always look better than the actual product. Disclaimers are now placed on everything stating that the product may differ in some way...etc. We live in a deceitful marketing society where nothing is like it seems.

92. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 18:47 Creston

Pyloff wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 18:18:
I agree, but I didn't want your tired and generic forum old timer lingo to weigh my thoughts down.

Sorry!

Yeah, your lofty "OMG, people have different opinions about things, how dare they?" bullshit is really fresh and exciting there, sport. I can see how you need to preserve that bold new direction that we've never seen before. I'm glad you're here to usher in this wicked new era of internet debate. Rolleyes

Creston

91. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 18:32 Kxmode

Pyloff wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 18:18:
I agree, but I didn't want your tired and generic forum old timer lingo to weigh my thoughts down.

+2

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo