Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is the first day of fall in these parts, just barely, as the equinox hits at 11:09 local time tonight. It's been quite a summer around here, with repeated heat waves, a drought, and more electrical storms than you can shake a lighting rod at. Because of this, the area has exhibited an autumnal appearance for quite some time now, with brown leaves on the ground after baking off the trees in the heat.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Survive-n-Risk.
The Wizard of Blox Reloaded.
Madness Hydraulic.
Links: Austin- Bananarchy, a Banana Stand Inspired by 'Arrested Development'.
Chainless Bicycle.
Stories: IHOP Lawsuit- Pancakes vs. Prayer.
French Wine Vending Machines May Make Their Way to the US.
Why autumn fruit lovers are enjoying a bumper season.
Science: The Science of Craft Beer, in Ten Easy Steps.
Moon's 'Turbulent Youth' Exposed In NASA LRO Imagery..
FDA Says Science Around New Salmon Is Inconclusive.
No More Video Games Until Your Homework is Finished.
Pac Man Ad FAIL.
Follow-up: Exclusive: Gulf seafood poses long-term health risks, experts say.
LHC finds 'interesting effects'.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Phwoar! Sep 23, 2010, 10:56 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 17:13:
I am now... a ninja.

I'm coming for ya, nin! :p

Creston

What?!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2010, 22:47 xXBatmanXx

don't have beer with everything

SHIT! I am doing it wrong!

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2010, 20:21 WarPig

Enahs wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 17:11:
You, sir, need to take it down about 1500000 notches. I am having fun promoting drinking beer for good reasons, can you not figure that out? Go hold up signs in front of your local state representatives....jeez.

I'm with you Enahs (aka Mr. Science). And in your honor I'm going to drink not one, but two (at least) Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ales (they're yummy, like candy). I only wish I had some Gulf shrimp to eat with them.

You go Mr. Science!

GO SEAHAWKS!

17. Re: Ooh Sep 22, 2010, 17:28  Xymph 

Quboid wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 12:26:
<-- Hey look! A red asterisk! These have been AWOL for a couple of months. Yay.
Only if you forgot to tick the Remember Me box when making posts all those months. That sets a cookie which is needed for the new-posts asterisks and user-ignore features.

-- Frans

16. Re: Phwoar! Sep 22, 2010, 17:24 PHJF

I don't drink alcohol or eat seafood. I've got both you fools beat! Heyeah!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Phwoar! Sep 22, 2010, 17:13 Creston

I am now... a ninja.

I'm coming for ya, nin! :p

Creston

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2010, 17:11 Enahs

You, sir, need to take it down about 1500000 notches. I am having fun promoting drinking beer for good reasons, can you not figure that out? Go hold up signs in front of your local state representatives....jeez.  

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2010, 17:06 space captain

Enahs wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 16:50:
Nah, it probably sucks balls. But that is not the point,

actually that is the point. the concern is regarding the total actual danger, not whatever excuse for complacency you happen to subscribe to or how eloquently you can express it, mr. science

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2010, 16:50 Enahs

space captain wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 16:46:
and what is your scientific analysis on the possible dangers of Corexit, if any? or is it just the same as dumping 2 million gallons of water into the ocean - i.e. no effect?

Nah, it probably sucks balls. But that is not the point, nor did I say they were doing no harm to the environment. I was merely pointing out that PAHs are not as harmful as they are proposed to be. It is a fact of nature that your body chemistry makes many things more harmful, sorry, we are not perfect creatures. But there are ways to overcome it, like drinking beer! heh

- W. C. Fields

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2010, 16:46 space captain

and what is your scientific analysis on the possible dangers of Corexit, if any? or is it just the same as dumping 2 million gallons of water into the ocean - i.e. no effect?  
Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2010, 16:38 Enahs

Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are cancer-causing chemicals found in crude oil that can accumulate in the food chain, absorbed by fish and shellfish.

Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons them selves do not cause caner. Your body metabolizes them into other chemicals, those other chemicals cause cancer. This is done by a class of enzymes called P450's. You ca inhibit (block) those specific P450s from metabolizing those PAHs by drinking dark beers when you ingest those PAHs (resulting in your just peeing them out).

Yes, drinking beer (darker the better) is good for your health!

Science is great when it is fully used, not just to scare people!

- W. C. Fields

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2010, 16:31 space captain

Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are cancer-causing chemicals found in crude oil that can accumulate in the food chain, absorbed by fish and shellfish.

But crude oil also contains heavy metals such as lead, mercury and cadmium that can accumulate in the food chain as well, though at a slower pace than PAHs, and are toxic to the brain and nervous system.

Another potential long-term health concern left in the wake of BP’s catastrophic oil spill is the nearly two million gallons of dispersant unleashed into the Gulf, much of it subsurface, which made both the amount used and its use unprecedented.

mmmmm, TASTY! im gonna hit the seafood buffet tonight!

Go forth, and kill!

8. LHC finds 'interesting effects'. Sep 22, 2010, 16:27 banddirector

Like, ending the universe as we know it?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2010, 14:10 Cutter

Well, things were a bit aggravating from the get-go with Civ 5. Once I got into the swing of things got me a good case of 'One more turn'-itis and was up till 6 this moring with it. Almost a 10 hour marathon! Hehe been a long while since I've pulled one of those.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2010, 14:07 Cutter

Verno wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 13:13:
Don't eat McDonalds every meal, don't have beer with everything, do cardio for 30 mins every 2 days and resistance/weight training once in awhile. You'll live a long time, probably far longer than you necessarily want to after 60.

While I'll agree you increase your odds there's certainly no guarentee. Like the guy who was out for a run in the middle of nowhere and gets killed by an airplane crash. That happened in Nova Scotia back in July. Just one in a million examples of when your number is up it is up! Me gran living in the outports of Newfoundland lived on little but salt beef/cod, spuds and cabbage, smoked a pack a day and still died in her 90s in her sleep. Some kids get cancer. It's all just so random.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2010, 14:05 Narf2029

Yeah, nobody ever mentions the most common perk of living past 60 is being stuck in a nursing home so your kids can feel like you're taken care of without having to actually bother themselves with it. If you don't believe in human euthanasia, working a month at a nursing home (Catholic especially) might change your mind.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2010, 13:13 Verno

MrBone wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 12:07:
Everything you eat poses long-term health risks...this is so stupid. Vegans do not live any longer than anyone else. You are going to die one day and you just have to deal with that reality and live your life.

QFT. I've been really into diet and fitness since my early 20's and I think I've seen a study linking almost everything possible to some long term harm to the human body. In fact I think there's been several going back and forth on eggs alone.

Don't eat McDonalds every meal, don't have beer with everything, do cardio for 30 mins every 2 days and resistance/weight training once in awhile. You'll live a long time, probably far longer than you necessarily want to after 60.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

3. Re: Out of the Blue- LHC finds 'interesting effects'. Sep 22, 2010, 12:57 Steelcamp

Hey wait are we not supposed to now be dead with this thing active?  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

2. Ooh Sep 22, 2010, 12:26 Quboid

<-- Hey look! A red asterisk! These have been AWOL for a couple of months. Yay.  

- Quboid

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2010, 12:07 MrBone

Everything you eat poses long-term health risks...this is so stupid. Vegans do not live any longer than anyone else. You are going to die one day and you just have to deal with that reality and live your life.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo