Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy

4Gamer.net interviews Street Fighter series producer Yoshinori Ono in the site's native Japanese on the upcoming release of Super Street Fighter IV. Though Ono-san recently indicated they are still considering a PC edition of the upgraded fighting game, his answers now indicate severe doubts about a PC release. A Google translation of the interview is headache-inducing, but andriasang.com offers a more sensible interpretation of his comments, which say the PC edition will probably not be released due to piracy, in spite of the fact that a PC edition is basically complete, since that is the version found in arcades. He does say they will reconsider if they can come up with a proper way to combat illegal copies, though he rules out an exclusive release through Steam because that would be unfair to those unable to use the service. Thanks joao.

View
91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

91. Re: Star Trek Online End of Beta Event Sep 24, 2010, 01:24 Prez

Why isn't this moron banned yet?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

90. Re: Star Trek Online End of Beta Event Sep 23, 2010, 10:11 HellSlayer

Yup, it is sad:( You thieves do not really gain anything. Some where down the road you will get paid back. It can be a health issue, money, etc... payback is a mother...  
o0

89. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 23, 2010, 08:06 Shataan

" the PC edition will probably not be released due to piracy,"

So, their answer to this whole piracy thing is.... don`t sell ANY copies to legit buyers at all eh? This is amongst the stupidest things I ever heard. There are a crapload, literal crapload of peeps willing to buy at the PC counters. So, to thwart the pirates they will shoot themselves via the foot and ass, and not sell any copies.

Yup, that is gonna really hurt who? Themselves. Good thing the industry on the whole doesn`t use this same amazing tactic. Or you`d all be twiddling your thumbs literally.

Yup. Way to bend them pirates over backwards!! Ya got em by the short and curlies now!!!!!! Sure showed them!

88. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 23, 2010, 00:03 Prez

shponglefan wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 20:22:
ASeven wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 08:53:
If it's a digital distribution title there won't be any considerable costs. And this has been replied below by another user far better.

I'm talking about support costs, not distribution costs.

And it has already been pointed out that there are easy ways to ensure you're only supporting legal owners of the game. It's a moot point really.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

87. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 20:34 ASeven

shponglefan wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 20:22:
If it's a digital distribution title there won't be any considerable costs. And this has been replied below by another user far better.

Well I'm not the man to talk about it since my inside knowledge of the gaming industry in specific is limited but if it's like any other industry that does need support departments, an extra title for a platform they've already made games for recently stands to reason that will use the same support structure of all other games and hence, support costs won't rise that much for a single title.

86. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 20:22 shponglefan

85. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 16:19 Trevellian

Verno wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 13:09:
Drezden wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 12:38:
Those of you contesting the PC platform as not being a Fighting game platform. Do not take into account the huge community that revolves around Mugen.

I'd question the use of the word "huge" with describing the Mugen community.

So while you may not think there is a large niche for it because fighting games don't "sell" well on the PC. You have to remember that Mugen is the major reason why. Doesn't mean people don't play them, just means they don't buy them.

Subjective at best but let's pretend you're correct, that just solidifies the Capcom decision.

Oh I wasn't trying to say Capcoms decision was wrong at all. Mostly just wanted to point out there is an abundance of players who do play fighting games on the PC, just that none of them will ever pay for a fighting game on the PC. I can totally understand why they would make such a decision considering Mugen is out there. How are you going to sell a product in a market were everyone is already using your characters for free to play how they want.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

84. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 15:20 [THA] Hamst3r

Lame.  

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

83. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 14:08 Mashiki Amiketo

Armengar wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 08:43:
so in essence, they wont release it on PC because they know no-one will pay $50 for it. But they wont release it on steam because they wont be able to blame the pirates for it not selling - simply the metrics.
Nah it's closer to:
They won't release it on the PC because there are more console users, and hence more pirates. With that, because there's more console pirates, they can't release it on the PC because there's less pirates, because there's less overall users.

See this is how the talking heads, minds work.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

82. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 13:40 ASeven

Verno wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 11:46:
ASeven wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 10:58:
Emulation plays a key role here and you can play almost all arcade games on MAME, including the big 2D fighting games, so that should account for something,

No, it's totally unrelated to the discussion as it's not a product bought or sold on the PC. Face it, it's a niche market and you know that when you're grasping for straws like emulation. There's nothing wrong with niche markets, many are quite profitable and healthy. The trouble is that some of them cannot sustain large publishers involvement. If you want to assign blame then thats fine, enjoy but just realize that blame could be disconnected from financial realities in this situation.

Well, you are attributing the strength of a genre to commercial sales, I think, and that's fine because in the end it's what publishers only see, how much they can sell on a given platform. But don't be so easy to discount the MAME/MUGEN/emulator scene. It is indeed huge and plenty of people who can't find their old favorite fighting game on the consoles come to the emulators, even more that most can be played in multiplayer.

As for another post here saying that Ono equates a lot of pirated SFIV's out there with loss of strength of the IP... I'm not too versed on IP law but it is a bit weird if indeed he equated piracy with loss of control over the IP. In that case I would think that piracy has had less of a role in the decision compared to the modding that happened on the game without the approval of Capcom. I wonder if it is indeed that the real reason, Capcom sees SFIV modded so easily on the PC and decides, for the perceived sake of the IP, to not publish the game for the PC. I wonder...

81. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 13:09 Verno

Drezden wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 12:38:
Those of you contesting the PC platform as not being a Fighting game platform. Do not take into account the huge community that revolves around Mugen.

I'd question the use of the word "huge" with describing the Mugen community.

So while you may not think there is a large niche for it because fighting games don't "sell" well on the PC. You have to remember that Mugen is the major reason why. Doesn't mean people don't play them, just means they don't buy them.

Subjective at best but let's pretend you're correct, that just solidifies the Capcom decision.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

80. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 12:38 Trevellian

Those of you contesting the PC platform as not being a Fighting game platform. Do not take into account the huge community that revolves around Mugen. The Fighting game is large on the PC, but it mostly takes place in the Mugen community, making any and all Fighting games OFFICIALLY released for the PC, more or less obsolete, as through Mugen fighting game fans have access to every single character from every 2D fighting game ever, as well as the ability to design their own characters. So while you may not think there is a large niche for it because fighting games don't "sell" well on the PC. You have to remember that Mugen is the major reason why. Doesn't mean people don't play them, just means they don't buy them.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

79. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 12:06 durandal

Guys, this guy never said they don't want PC version because SF4 sold poorly or because it did due to piracy.
He actually emphasized that the PC version sold really well.
They don't intend to release it for PC to "protect the Street Fighter IP".
They are afraid that people would start to consider their game "free".
Pirated:Legit ratio was just that bad for the previous game.
I'm Japanese and I read the original article. andriasang.com did good job translating it.

78. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 11:46 Verno

ASeven wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 10:58:
How did RE5 do on the PC though, I honestly never heard anything about its success or lack of.

I have no idea offhand but Resident Evil titles typically do well on all platforms. I am sure it outperformed Street Fighter 4 on the PC which isn't exactly a difficult feat to fathom.

However I would contest the PC not being a fighting game platform.

Based on what exactly? Your love of fighting games on the PC? I don't mind fighting games either but they don't typically sell on the PC. I wish they would sell more, hell I wish every genre would sell more on the PC as it's where I prefer to do my gaming if I have a choice but that's just not reality.

Emulation plays a key role here and you can play almost all arcade games on MAME, including the big 2D fighting games, so that should account for something,

No, it's totally unrelated to the discussion as it's not a product bought or sold on the PC. Face it, it's a niche market and you know that when you're grasping for straws like emulation. There's nothing wrong with niche markets, many are quite profitable and healthy. The trouble is that some of them cannot sustain large publishers involvement. If you want to assign blame then thats fine, enjoy but just realize that blame could be disconnected from financial realities in this situation.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2010, 11:51.

77. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 11:23 Kxmode

*In a baritone voice* I guess this gives Zangief more time to make sweet sweet love to bears.  

76. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 11:16 Creston

Snore

Creston

75. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 10:58 ASeven

Verno wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 10:33:
Again, I'd contest that. The PC has never been a big fighting game platform. Popular doesn't necessarily translate to popular on the PC. Dark Void was a universally hated piece of dreck and Lost Planet 2 was a sequel to a game barely anyone liked in the first place. I think it'd be more appropriate to talk about Resident Evil or something if you wanted to really compare.

How did RE5 do on the PC though, I honestly never heard anything about its success or lack of. However I would contest the PC not being a fighting game platform. Emulation plays a key role here and you can play almost all arcade games on MAME, including the big 2D fighting games, so that should account for something,

74. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 10:33 Verno

Again, I'd contest that. The PC has never been a big fighting game platform. Popular doesn't necessarily translate to popular on the PC. Dark Void was a universally hated piece of dreck and Lost Planet 2 was a sequel to a game barely anyone liked in the first place. I think it'd be more appropriate to talk about Resident Evil or something if you wanted to really compare.  

73. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 09:46 ASeven

Verno wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 09:21:
and are now going to release Dead Rising 2, all of these games don't have the level of demand SSFIV has for the PC

In the case of Dead Rising 2, I suspect you will be wrong on that.

Well, I may be wrong on that yeah but since the original never came to the PC and the zombie genre is already making people feel a bit bored about it it may be that SSFIV may have had more success. But we'll see, I admit I'm waiting for community reviews for DR2 to see if it's interesting. Still, I don't think anyone can deny SSFIV would sell well for the PC compared to most of the other Capcom titles.

72. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 09:21 Verno

and are now going to release Dead Rising 2, all of these games don't have the level of demand SSFIV has for the PC

In the case of Dead Rising 2, I suspect you will be wrong on that.

91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo