Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Civilization V and Demo Released

2k Games announces the release of Sid Meierís Civilization V, the highly anticipated turn-based strategy sequel. Here's word on the game: "Civilization V takes this definitive strategy game series in new directions with the introduction of hexagonal tiles allowing for deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay and stunning organic landscapes for players to explore as they expand their empire. The brand new engine delivers a spectacular visual experience that brings players closer to the Civ world than ever, featuring fully animated leaders interacting with players from a screen-filling diplomatic scene and speaking in their native language for the first time. Wars between empires feel massive, as armies dominate the landscape and combat is more exciting and intense than ever before. The addition of ranged bombardment allows players to fire weapons from behind the front lines, challenging them to develop clever new strategies to guarantee victory on the battlefield. In addition to the new gameplay features debuting in Civilization V, an extensive suite of community, modding and multiplayer elements will also be available." In addition to being in retail stores, the game can also be purchased online through Direct2Drive and Steam, with Steam also offering downloads of the promised playable demo.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 23, 2010, 21:31 Sepharo

Yosemite Sam wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 14:23:
frankly looks and plays like its been built for a console.

This is a joke right?

If not, would you please elaborate?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 23, 2010, 19:41 Flipper405

Hmm, I was considering picking this up; my only major grip was that the text is so small in the game at 1920x1200, and there is no way to increase it. My thread asking about this at the 2K games forum got closed after someone stating that it was designed for PCs, not consoles. Blank
/facepalm

56. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 23, 2010, 14:23 Yosemite Sam

Well I'm quite disapointed in the game. New combat system is sweet, really like it though the Ai doesnt seem to handle it well. What really turns me off is how much has been taken out of the game, its been simplified alot, frankly looks and plays like its been built for a console. Have to wait and see, maybe after a couple of add ons are released, otherwise I'm sticking to civ4.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

55. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 23, 2010, 11:29 eunichron

Never was a big fan of the Civ games, but I gave the the demo a shot and I think I'm hooked, I was actually pissed when the demo ran out.  

54. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 22, 2010, 12:15 Quboid

winnetou wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 11:43:
PHJF wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 06:55:
Is this the civ where spearmen cannot destroy AH64s?
If I remember the ustream q&a correctly, yes, it is.

They said that this wouldn't happen. I believe it was a spearman and a tank they were talking about but I think it applies to helicopters too. This is what they said before Civ 4 was released too. I think they said that about Civ 3, although my memory is hazy.

Incidentally, I'm the guy who doesn't think this is wrong, but that it should be very rare (and it always has been rare, for every upset people remember, they've forgotten a hundred stream-roller jobs). Besides, it's about game balance. Argh, dammit, don't set me off PHJF, you cheeky monkey

- Quboid

53. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 22, 2010, 11:43 winnetou

PHJF wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 06:55:
If I remember the ustream q&a correctly, yes, it is.

52. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 22, 2010, 10:26 Suddenly_Dead

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 02:24:
Suddenly_Dead wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 01:44:
Yeah, DX11 is totally borked. I haven't had any issues at all with DX9.

For some people maybe, but it works perfectly fine here.

Could be related to the video card. I've heard a couple other people having issues with the same card (8800 GTS). Although, it could very well have nothing to do with that, I don't really have a huge sample size here. It's still spiffy on DX9, so whatever.

51. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 22, 2010, 06:55 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

50. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 22, 2010, 03:13 Bubicus

The main difference between Panzer General's and Civ V's combat is the lack of morale effects. For the first few battles, I missed being able to hammer an opponent into giving up. And since units can't retreat on their own, you can't do stuff in Civ V like you could in PG, like surrounding a unit so it has to surrender because there's no escape route.

I got used to the Civ V's simpler battles, though. You still have to pay attention to terrain, zone of control, support from adjacent units, and other factors... as well as, of course, unit customization with all of the different experience perks.

49. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 22, 2010, 02:24 StingingVelvet

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 01:44:

For some people maybe, but it works perfectly fine here.

48. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 22, 2010, 01:44 Suddenly_Dead

Bubicus wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 22:20:
I originally ran the DX11 version in fullscreen, but at one point, there was a 3D-rendering bug that corrupted the landscape, so I went back to the main menu. I closed the app and ran the DX9 version. I was able to play through the rest of the game without crashes.

The game is fun. It's engrossing. It's definitely Civ. It's just different. I can't make a judgment on it yet, but it seems promising.

47. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 21, 2010, 23:06 Quboid

(Sorry, ignore me or delete me!)

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2010, 00:08.

- Quboid

46. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 21, 2010, 22:53 Quboid

Initial thoughts as I play the demo (it's 03:48 FFS!).

- I like how you get suggestions from all of the advisors who feel they have input, with the icons. Helpful so newbies can make good choices while controlling the direction they want to develop.

- Enter doesn't end the turn?? (Ah, yes it does, but if you need to select research, it doesn't bring up the research bar, which is a shame.)

- I miss Leonard Nimoy. When I can afford it, I'll hire him and release it as a mod. Don't hold your breath.

- They are hiding the numbers too much. I don't see tips on how good a unit's defence is after taking into account terrain, promotions and such like.

... and then the demo ends. It's 05:10. Eek.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2010, 00:10.

- Quboid

45. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 21, 2010, 22:53 ColoradoHoudini

Got the demo to work after a comp reboot -shrug-
I have no fucking clue what I'm doing..ahaha! Yeah, I built a worker, but.. where the fuck did he go? I wanted him to go build stuff i researched, but i couldnt find him to click on him.

I need to read that manual.

44. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 21, 2010, 22:38 Quboid

Bubicus wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 22:20:
I just finished my first game.

The combat is pretty fun. It brings back good memories of Panzer General.

Thank you for posting. I'm glad to hear the Panzer General comparison, it had great combat and I've always felt combat, massive stacks in particular, was Civ's weak point.

- Quboid

43. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 21, 2010, 22:20 Bubicus

I just finished my first game.

I played for 10 hours on a standard-size map. It might not have taken so long if it had not played slowly (I'm playing on a computer slightly above minimum requirements). I originally ran the DX11 version in fullscreen, but at one point, there was a 3D-rendering bug that corrupted the landscape, so I went back to the main menu. I closed the app and ran the DX9 version. I was able to play through the rest of the game without crashes.

I think the city-states add a lot to the gameplay, but their combat AI seemed pretty bad. They seemed to throw their units right at attacking units without any regard for their HP.

Unhappiness is tough to handle. I built four cities of my own, made all of my conquered cities (eventually about 16 more, since I conquered the English, French, and Romans) into puppets, and I still had trouble with unhappiness until I got some decent social policies.

I really like the social policies system. Being able to customize and adapt a civ to the game situation is really cool.

The combat is pretty fun. It brings back good memories of Panzer General. Naval power seemed a bit overpowered in the later game. With a couple of battleships, I was able to quickly weaken any coastal city enough to move an amphibious unit right into them with no damage (sometimes in one turn).

I'm hoping for some good Fall From Heaven-type mods, but seeing how Kael's first mod for Civ V brings back stacks, it may be a while...

42. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 21, 2010, 21:43 briktal

So far I've been enjoying this. I really like most of the changes. One unit per tile will still take me some time to get used to. Interestingly enough, the main annoyance it has caused me so far has been with automated workers and a Great Engineer. I wanted to move the unit into a city to hurry a wonder, but (as it was my capital and the center of my empire) automated workers kept ending up in the city. I guess if I would've paid attention and manually moved them out at the start of the turn (all your automated movement happens when you hit end turn) I could've moved him in.

One other problem is that there are some things that don't have very good explanations. Diplomacy, as mentioned before, doesn't tell you much about your relationship, and it's not very clear how far you can move a unit along roads, as far as I can tell. And it's weird, because things like happiness tell you all the pluses and minuses you are getting.

41. Re: World Release Sep 21, 2010, 18:19 Quboid

Blue wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 17:12:
Quboid wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 17:00:
Why don't they have a world wide release? What is happening between now and 00:00 on Friday? It used to be that games were released on Fridays to get optimal chart positions but even if that's still relevant for PC games (my local games shop now has 2 meagre shelves for the PC and it's mostly WoW expansions and hidden object games), change it so it's Tuesday and stop this stupid delay for at least one country.

Media shipments to stores happen on different days in different regions, and this is just following that. New games (and CDs and DVDs for that matter) are distributed in the US on Tuesdays, Europe and Australia on Thursdays, and in the UK on Fridays. It's been that way for years, and I don't recall this universal Friday release date you mention. There are exceptions, but not very frequently.

That wasn't worded very well, I meant that the reason for the Friday release in the UK was always for chart position (and therefore increased attention).

I suppose the physical requirement of getting boxes to shops is still a concern. If they released digital purchases on Tuesday then the bricks and mortar joints will kick up a fuss. Personally, screw 'em, times change, but publishers still aren't going to want to annoy retailers too much, especially Tesco and Asda.

- Quboid

40. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 21, 2010, 18:18 PropheT

ASeven wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 16:56:
On a related note, I keep reading a lot of reports from everywhere that the game engine crashes a lot and appears to be really badly optimized. Any of you have had any problem with a slow graphical engine or crashes with the game or demo?

I haven't had any crashes yet on my desktop at home. I just installed it on my laptop, though, if I find something different there I'll edit my post to say so.

39. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 21, 2010, 18:14 AirWreck

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 18:12:
WyldKat wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 16:17:
It usually turned into me getting pissed at the AI and waging total war on them until every last city was razed to the ground. *ahem*
That's what the ICBM option is for.

You build up your hate, then when it gets to the point of overflowing, you nuke all of their cities half a dozen times. Then 3-4 more times just to make sure.

It's the only way to be sure.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo