Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GOG.com Tease

Unrelated to our wild speculation in the story below, GOG.com has a new update about plans to reveal what's going on with this service that sells DRM-free games updated for Windows Vista. They say their promised announcement will come tomorrow at noon EDT. They also have a new teaser video on the YouTube that has some images flashing by in a seizure-inducing sequence, one of which depicts Baldur's Gate, as shown in this capture (thanks EnsErnie). What this all means will be revealed in under 24 hours.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 22, 2010, 14:18 nin

The marketing bozo needs to be fired.

Where's Tom? I'd like to know who's bright idea this was.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 22, 2010, 14:05 eRe4s3r

Indeed - i don't trust gog further than my HDD archives now - they did not even have the courtesy to inform their paying customers via email. Or give a warning, or be somewhat less cryptic with their PR fud. And they closed down during a SALE.

What this taught me is, that Gog is about as trustworthy as a one of these public warez sites.

With 1 difference - warez sites don't keep your bought files hostage because their marketing idiots feel like it.

31. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 22, 2010, 13:41 Nameless Again

I'm sure the old setup was great, but with this stunt, plus the mock "apology", glad I didn't purchase any games through them. And even if they do get the Infinity Engine games on their site, still don't know that I'd be interested in doing business with them. I still have my original install discs for Baldur's Gate, et al, so why bother if this is their track record?

Pass.

30. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 22, 2010, 13:21 Dev

sauron wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 10:42:
Any new rumors from GOG this morning? I know their statement is scheduled for noon EST.
As you probably know by now, GOG.com is entering its new era with an end of the two-years beta stage and we're launching a brand new GOG.com with new, huge releases.
from http://gog.com/

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2010, 14:25.

29. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 22, 2010, 10:42 sauron

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 02:26:
kxmode wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 17:03:
StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 14:10:
Anyway, that video certainly makes this seem like a publicity stunt, which makes me VERY ANGRY.

Stand back everyone. He's VERY angry.

I'm like a volcano and I'm gonna erupt all on your ass.

Wait...

LOL!

Any new rumors from GOG this morning? I know their statement is scheduled for noon EST.

Kittens!

28. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 22, 2010, 02:26 StingingVelvet

Anyway, that video certainly makes this seem like a publicity stunt, which makes me VERY ANGRY.

I'm like a volcano and I'm gonna erupt all on your ass.

Wait...

27. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 21, 2010, 23:45 Prez

The problem I have is that there will probably not be any more stand-alone game files if this Steam/GOG merger comes to fruition. I could take my gog downloads anywhere and play on any computer, no internet required. While I love Steam, it is a huge step down from this convenience. Gotta say this whole thing really has me a bit disgruntled with the CD Projekt/GOG guys.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 21, 2010, 22:09 Verno

This pretty much is his twitter account.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

25. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 21, 2010, 18:57 Techie714 ©

LOL!!!!!
Dude do you have a twitter account you crack me up!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

24. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 21, 2010, 17:25 Stolk

killer_roach wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 15:18:
ochentay4 wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 13:21:
So much anger in this site!

It's the Internet, there's nothing better to do.

It is way more fun to make fun of angry people on the internet. There is a wealth of targets here.

23. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 21, 2010, 17:03 Kxmode

22. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 21, 2010, 16:46 Sudbina

Nevermind. Mistake from where I got the information from.

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2010, 17:02.

21. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 21, 2010, 15:18 killer_roach

So much anger in this site!

It's the Internet, there's nothing better to do.

20. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 21, 2010, 14:50 sauron

I still fail to see why the Baldur's Gate games are so wanted on that site... there is a $20 collection with both games and both expansions on amazon that I actually bought a year ago or so for $15 brand new. They work find in Win7.

There's also a fix so you can play in high res, and I think there's another one for PS:T that does the same thing.

But I think that's kind of the point here - what GOG was selling was really versions of old games that you could just install and play. No more digging around on Ebay or wondering if the game would work on new operating systems, or trying to find fixes that added (for example) high-res capability or (in the case of IWar) an old Glide wrapper. The coders at Gog had already done all of that for you.

You just bought good old games cheap and DRM-free, and they were guaranteed to run, and sometimes they ran better than the originals. Good stuff.

Kittens!

19. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 21, 2010, 14:50 AirWreck

I still fail to see why the Baldur's Gate games are so wanted on that site... there is a $20 collection with both games and both expansions on amazon that I actually bought a year ago or so for $15 brand new. They work find in Win7.

You must be referring to this: Baldur's Gate Box Set

"The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny." -- The wise Alaundo

Oh man what fun. Then I got killed by a bear outside of Candlekeep. Then I got killed by a magic missle outside of the Friendly Arms Inn. I wonder what kind of review a game like that would get these days, besides a 1/10 in graphics.

Tempted to pick that up, one neat thing is you can actually run the original game in the second's engine so you get better resolution, spell effects, etc. BGTutu and Baldur's Gate Trilogy are the two options I think.

18. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 21, 2010, 14:44 Kxmode

Trust is a fickle thing among gamers.  

17. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 21, 2010, 14:10 StingingVelvet

16. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 21, 2010, 14:01 Creston

Creston wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 13:14:
Updated for Windows Vista, blue?

Creston
It is correct! GOG games were certified for VISTA ONLY (Win 7 was NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED).

Oh, I didn't even know that. It's all worked fine on Win7 for me so far.

Creston

15. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 21, 2010, 13:47 Verno

If their idea of PR is to pretend that they are shutting down operations then that site is dead to me anyways.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

14. Re: GOG.com Tease Sep 21, 2010, 13:42 spindoctor

My opinion about latest GOG days: Guys, cmon, a couple of days without the service is not a nightmare.

The issue is that there doesn't seem to be a good reason for this.

If they really were in trouble and had to shut down the site, it was pretty tacky of them to do it without any notice whatsoever. And if this was a publicity stunt, I don't appreciate that they took away my ability to download my purchased games just because they thought it was funny.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo