Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We're aware of a problem over the past few days that can cause the site to load very slowly due to waiting for the ad server to respond. There are a couple of oddities about this that have made it harder to track down than one might expect, but we hope to have this cleared up soon. In the meantime, apologies for the situation.

R.I.P.: Rock band inspiration Leonard Skinner dies. Thanks Devicer.

Responsive Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Earl Grey and This Rupert Guy.
Escape from the Cube.
Stories: Ky. Man Claims Caffeine Insanity in Wife's Death.
Rhino carer fired over hash plantation. Thanks Neatorama.
71-Year-Old Beats Armed Intruder With Swiffer. Thanks Neatorama.
Science: The Night When NASA Let People Watch as They Fired Lasers at the Moon.
Chasing the Perfect Cup of Coffee with Science.
Gigantic spider's web discovered in Madagascar. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: Badass Computer Animation Short!!! (8BITS). NSFW.
Dog Hides in Bathtub During Scary Thunderstorm. Hudsey has done that.
Follow-up: A Perk of Our Evolution - Pleasure in Pain of Chilies (registration required).

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2010, 10:36 Steelcamp

Ok guys Tech Question time...

It is also good to check if you are running 100/full or auto.
Try changing that one way or the other.

-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 20:04 Malacai

It's definitely behavioral targeting at work. The same thing happened to me with an unrelated site. I had been visiting it as of late because of my job and I fire up Blue's and there is an ad from the same site. Cookie!  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 15:59 Cram

Poor quality Print Screen from a little bit ago.

I did happen to be on that site maybe a week ago having a laugh at the prices. Maybe googles nefarious data-mining kept track of that and is popping up ads for me to places I've been or places similar to those I've been too. I really don't know how those ads work.

Edit: Another one 3 seconds after I posted this message.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 15:24  Blue 

Cram wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 15:03:
Speaking of ad's, I've seen ads for d2legit.com pop up a few times over the last couple days. It's a Diablo 2 gold-farming site. Not sure if anyone even cares; I know some sites do not care for having gold farming sites promoted on theirs.

You've seen that ad here? Because we do try and avoid carrying those.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 15:03 Cram

Speaking of ad's, I've seen ads for d2legit.com pop up a few times over the last couple days. It's a Diablo 2 gold-farming site. Not sure if anyone even cares; I know some sites do not care for having gold farming sites promoted on theirs.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 14:49 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 12:10:

Moved from apt to house, (renting from family) that has Cincinnati Bell DSL, that was suppose to be 768kb then upped to 5Mb. Thing is anything I download from anywhere (direct2drive, Steam, Nvidia, etc) is all capped at 100kps. When I was in the apt with Insight Broadband Cable I didn't have these issues.
Speedtest.net showed me maxing out the 786 connection when running a test to Cincinnati (where I am).

Am I missing something or need to do something cause it's killing me not to even be able to steam videos or Netflix or well anything.

Thanks guys.

If the same computer doesn't have speed issues on another provider, then your shitty DSL provider is capping your ass for daring to use their precious pipes. (you know, what you actually PAY the monthly fee for.)

Give them one call, tell them to make it right. If they refuse, ditch them immediately.

Creston

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 14:36 Creston

kanniballl wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 14:13:
My short reviews thus far

Boardwalk Empire - great. Will continue watching.

The Event - eh. Not bad, but not great either. I didn't enjoy the way they handled the flashbacks and it didn't really grab my attention except for the last 2 minutes. And oddly enough, that's NOT the event. I'll give it a shot, but I doubt I'll get into it.

Chuck - started out slow Monday but I started to love it about 7 minutes in. Still not as good as Season 1, but I'll continue watching.

Castle - good solid season opener. I will keep watching.

Hawaii 5-0 - Only got to catch the first bit, but liked what I saw. I'll give it a chance.

Outlaw - not bad. Jimmy Smitts is usually entertaining so I'll give it a shot, but it's nothing special. I could see it falling from favor.

House - sorry to say I'm getting bored with it. I'll finish it up tonight from my DVR but I don't think I'm gonna follow it that closely anymore. Shows really need to end after 3-4 seasons.

Law / Court shows - a bunch are starting up this year, way too many. I'll give Outlaw a chance but I'm gonna pass on the rest.

I'm looking forward to giving a shot to that new show with the guy from The Shield, something like a live action Incredibles. We'll see how that plays out.

Did you seriously watch all that?

Creston

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 14:13 kanniballl

My short reviews thus far

Boardwalk Empire - great. Will continue watching.

The Event - eh. Not bad, but not great either. I didn't enjoy the way they handled the flashbacks and it didn't really grab my attention except for the last 2 minutes. And oddly enough, that's NOT the event. I'll give it a shot, but I doubt I'll get into it.

Chuck - started out slow Monday but I started to love it about 7 minutes in. Still not as good as Season 1, but I'll continue watching.

Castle - good solid season opener. I will keep watching.

Hawaii 5-0 - Only got to catch the first bit, but liked what I saw. I'll give it a chance.

Outlaw - not bad. Jimmy Smitts is usually entertaining so I'll give it a shot, but it's nothing special. I could see it falling from favor.

House - sorry to say I'm getting bored with it. I'll finish it up tonight from my DVR but I don't think I'm gonna follow it that closely anymore. Shows really need to end after 3-4 seasons.

Law / Court shows - a bunch are starting up this year, way too many. I'll give Outlaw a chance but I'm gonna pass on the rest.

I'm looking forward to giving a shot to that new show with the guy from The Shield, something like a live action Incredibles. We'll see how that plays out.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 14:04 Agent.X7

I had friends who actually trained their chocolate lab to get in the tub during thunderstorms because she would get so frightened she would pee all over otherwise. At least in the tub it was an easy cleanup.

I caught Five-O last night. Wasn't really into it. Even with the team behind LOST, Fringe, Alias, etc. writing for it, it was just a generic low-brow action/buddy cop show.

Watched The Event too. it was OK, but it feels like they are trying way too hard to make it the next LOST.

Going to Hulu Chase, but I really like Justified, and Chase looks pretty cheesy even in the previews. Always Hulu Chuck (love it).

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 13:51 Verno

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. I thought The Event was "ok", enough to keep watching but I was really surprised by Hawaii Five-O and Boardwalk Empire. I'd have to agree about Grace Park, I'm not sure how she keeps getting these side bits. She doesn't seem that talented in the first place, I think the only genuine emotion she can convey well is awkwardness.

I didn't catch Chase or any of the other newer shows unfortunately. House looks like it's going to repeat another year of false character development, the formula started to wear thin on me awhile ago but now its starting to grate. Chuck got boring awhile ago, still amazed that manages to keep on the air. Sons of Anarchy on the other hand looks like it will have another kickass year.

Lonestar supposedly bombed last night and Fox is ridiculously impatient so I doubt it will stick around long. Outlaw is generic boring legal/courtroom drama. Lots of mediocre stuff but I guess its like that every year.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

8. Hawaii Five-O Sep 21, 2010, 12:57 Krovven

Anyone else pleasantly surprised by Hawaii Five-O last night? Series has potential.

So far the only down side is Grace Park. Her acting ability is limited, and I tolerated her in BSG. She is also emaciated and sickly looking.

Scott Caan was entertaining as always.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 12:31 kanniballl

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 12:10:

We had a LOT of issues with Verizon DSL, especially in the first few months and then when we upgraded to 3 Mbit. Outages, poor performance, spotty connections, etc. We also had issues here and there, but initially it was horrible. And when we upgraded, for whatever reason our problems came back even though we didn't get any new hardware.

- Did you setup the whole DSL equipment, or was it left over from the owners?
- Are you renting the whole place, or 1/2 the house and are thus using their connection?

First I'd call the company and confirm that you really are signed up for the 5Mb connection and close enough to the CO for it. I know it used to be you had to be closer than X miles for any service, and Y miles for the higher-end service for DSL. I know you're only getting 100k now, but you should know if you're getting 14% performance or 2% performance.

Then I'd go through the motions of them remotely testing your connection and having someone drive out. Believe it or not, it can help. During our issues it was almost always something on their end (network) or some bad filters.

If this is something you setup, I'd try resetting the router (assuming you have one), re-enter the username/password, and try again. If you're using client software on your PC then maybe it's having an issue, try buying a router instead.

Otherwise, if this is the home-owner's equipment maybe their modem or router has some setting on it that's messing you up. Like a throttling, blocking, etc feature.

Maybe it's a REAL OLD modem that's on its last legs or cannot handle the 5Mbit connection.

Also, maybe the house you're renting has lousy phone lines or you got a bad DSL-filter.
  • Unplug ALL of the phones and ALL of the DSL-filters in the house

• Plug your DSL modem into different phone jacks in the house, starting at the one closest to the main phone line box

• With DSL there are just too many points of failure, at least back when I had it.
    - Bad filter(s)
    - Bad / noisy line
    - Bad / noisy phone
    - Issues on their network
    - Issues with their phone line: downed branches, bees, neighbors screwing something up, etc.
    - Bad DSL modem
    - Bad DSL router
    - Just a bit too far from CO
    - etc

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2010, 12:47.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 12:10 PropheT

shul wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 10:42:
    civ 5 , civ 5 , civ 5 !

where is the demo ?

You can download it through Steam, it looks like it's out there right now.

Just installing my copy now, woo

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 12:10 The Half Elf

Moved from apt to house, (renting from family) that has Cincinnati Bell DSL, that was suppose to be 768kb then upped to 5Mb. Thing is anything I download from anywhere (direct2drive, Steam, Nvidia, etc) is all capped at 100kps. When I was in the apt with Insight Broadband Cable I didn't have these issues.
    Speedtest.net showed me maxing out the 786 connection when running a test to Cincinnati (where I am).

Am I missing something or need to do something cause it's killing me not to even be able to steam videos or Netflix or well anything.

Thanks guys.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 11:30 kanniballl

Our dog really does not like thunder storms and runs and hides, especially if it's very close.

But he's never tried the bathtub.

Under the desk, under the table, under various things in the basement, etc. When he was young and it was real bad he'd try to dig into the floor.

He seems to like something over his head besides the ceiling, even if it's just him sticking only his head under a bed or under a small table. So the bath tub probably doesn't even register as an option. Plus he also like to be in the vicinity of someone.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine had a couple of dogs that would want to go OUTSIDE during a thunder storm and the dogs were apparently very adamant about it. The best I can think of is the thunder shook his house so it made it louder/scarier than just hanging around outside.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 11:23 Creston

My old lab got a little nervous in thunderstorms, but usually she'd just come lie on my feet. Poor doggies.

As for the adserv thing, to be honest Blue, that's been going on a lot longer than just a few days. I just get past it by hitting refresh if the ad takes more than 2 seconds or so to load. It skips to a new ad (I think) and usually loads straightaway.

Creston

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 10:59 Redwood

Our yellow Lab hides in the bath tub during storms, too. She prefers to have the shower curtain closed too. We always joke that if a tornado hits, she'll be the only living thing they find at our house. She's not as mobile as she used to be and it started storming Friday before we got home. We found her 90% of the way into the tub. All I could see was her tail sticking out of the shower curtain. I had to help her get her back legs over the tub.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 10:42 shul

civ 5 , civ 5 , civ 5 !

where is the demo ?

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo