Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday

GOG.com has an additional update following yesterday's shutdown to the home of good old games. They add a little to our minimal understanding of the current state of the service, say they expect to make everyone's games available again on Thursday, and state they plan on making a more informative statement about what's happening on Wednesday. Here's word:

First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 21, 2010, 22:00 UConnBBall

If I pay for a 10.00 boxed game, but can get that same game for 10.00 online and that online service goes down - I am going to be pissed if I bought it online!

The thing is that with GOG your file has no drm and is good for life.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 21, 2010, 19:01 xXBatmanXx

And I believe there was another online music subscription service where you paid monthly to get the music that shut down too.

Online paid monthly is different than buying 1-20 titles and expecting them to always be there.

That is like saying WoW shut down - it isn't going to last forever - it is a pay to play, pay to listen.

If I pay for a 10.00 boxed game, but can get that same game for 10.00 online and that online service goes down - I am going to be pissed if I bought it online!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 21, 2010, 13:35 CrimsonPaw

UConnBBall wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 10:01:
I blamed everyone that bought a title that was on gog.com at a different store to save a few bucks and add on the DRM. I was hoping it was a few other digital services (Direct2drive.com or Impulse) but atlas people's hatred of DRM is a cheap hatred.
Was there a way to save a buck? I thought GOG's prices were pretty damn cheap considering the content you got; not to mention the lack of DRM and the portability it brought. I would hope this is just a temporary outage and not long term.

~~Crim~~

17. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 21, 2010, 10:01 UConnBBall

I blamed everyone that bought a title that was on gog.com at a different store to save a few bucks and add on the DRM. I was hoping it was a few other digital services (Direct2drive.com or Impulse) but atlas people's hatred of DRM is a cheap hatred.  

16. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 21, 2010, 07:33 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 20, 2010, 22:24:
I have no idea what is going on - I am bummed to see them with this notice, as they had great games.

Now: What happens? This is the first one to "close" - so now we shall the the rage and issues with shutting down a digital distribution service......

Actually they are NOT the first. MS closed one down (a music one, and they can't exactly use the excuse they are having money troubles), and someone else did a music one too, a retail chain, I forget if it was walmart or target or perhaps amazon. And I believe there was another online music subscription service where you paid monthly to get the music that shut down too. Those are all likely bigger than GoG. However, GoG is probably the most significant one to many blues readers.

15. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 21, 2010, 05:31 theyarecomingforyou

Perhaps they're merging with Steam and the big announcement is that Steam is dropping all DRM?  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

14. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 21, 2010, 04:00 Kajetan

Shadowcat wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 03:43:
I'm going to be so gutted if this marks the end of the DRM-free catalogue on GOG.com.
Probably not, because GOG.com made good money for CD Project. There are a few good speculations over at Neogaf and the GOG facebook page, that the sudden closure has its reason in turmoils at their parent company Optimus, that the sudden closure has legal reasons, until all business proceedings are sorted out.

Well, let's see tomorrow ...

13. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 21, 2010, 03:43 Shadowcat

I'm going to be so gutted if this marks the end of the DRM-free catalogue on GOG.com.

GOG was the best thing to happen to online PC games distribution ever, and I would willingly see Steam and every other digital distributor die first.

12. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 20, 2010, 22:24 xXBatmanXx

I have no idea what is going on - I am bummed to see them with this notice, as they had great games.

Now: What happens? This is the first one to "close" - so now we shall the the rage and issues with shutting down a digital distribution service......

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 20, 2010, 20:44 Wolfen

kxmode wrote on Sep 20, 2010, 17:43:
mag wrote on Sep 20, 2010, 17:41:
Why the hell would they not just make the statement on the day that they took the site down? The game industry is so freaking unprofessional.

Let the hate flow through you...

HAHA! Niiiicccee

10. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 20, 2010, 19:46 StingingVelvet

SirKnight wrote on Sep 20, 2010, 19:15:
I hate DRM as much as anyone, but Valve's direction at it is the best form.

Meh... give me a simple SecuROM activation I can get rid of with a fixed exe any day over Steam. Or even Games for Windows Live for that matter, which doesn't require activation unless you want to play multiplayer or earn achievements.

I'm not bashing Steam, but it's certainly not the best DRM if you ask me, from the perspective of not having it limit my access to games.

9. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 20, 2010, 19:15 SirKnight

Wolfox wrote on Sep 20, 2010, 18:09:
Now the latest rumor says that GOG.com was bought by Steam... I do hope not, as that's probably the direct opposite of what GOG.com was.

Well it would be fine to use Steam as the way to buy and download the games as long as they do not inject any DRM into them. I'm not sure if Valve would do that, but if so this would not be a bad thing. I like using Steam as my central hub for all my games. Including non-Steam games.

I hate DRM as much as anyone, but Valve's direction at it is the best form. It's the lesser of the evils at least. Still evil but it's livable for now I guess. Even though DRM is a waste of time for everyone and I just don't get why they keep using it. It makes ZERO difference in the real world.

8. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 20, 2010, 18:46 Dev

Yeah if they were merging or joining someone, they shoulda waited to shut down until they actually JOINED them. Also they shoulda warned customers at least a few days in advance of when it SHUT DOWN.

Horribly managed, and although I was planning to buy more games from them, if they do come back up, this is a huge black mark against them, and I will be much less likely to buy things from them.

7. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 20, 2010, 18:09 Wolfox

Anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering, suffering leads to the dark side...

Now the latest rumor says that GOG.com was bought by Steam... I do hope not, as that's probably the direct opposite of what GOG.com was.

6. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 20, 2010, 17:56 Techie714

Rumors around the net are they are planning a redesign, or possibly a merger but this is NOT the end of GOG...Rumors anyways.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

5. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 20, 2010, 17:55 Techie714

kxmode wrote on Sep 20, 2010, 17:43:
Why the hell would they not just make the statement on the day that they took the site down? The game industry is so freaking unprofessional.

LOL!!!
KxMode I can always count on your posts to crack me up, seriously.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

4. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 20, 2010, 17:48 mag

I've got to say, if they open back up with DRM, I'm pretty much guaranteed to never buy another game from them. They've just proven that they can vanish at the drop of a hat with no warning, taking anything that's tied to them along.  

3. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 20, 2010, 17:43 StingingVelvet

I have this feeling they are merging with GamersGate in the pit of my stomach... I could be totally off of course, I'm just saying I got that feeling.

Whatever happens, shutdown, re-opening, merging, etc., this was poorly handled and a scary statement about digital distribution and DRM.

2. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 20, 2010, 17:43 Kxmode

1. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 20, 2010, 17:41 mag

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo