Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo

StarWraith 3D Games LLC announces the promised release of Evochron Mercenary, saying the newest installment in their space combat and trading simulation rounds out the Evochron trilogy. The game's website has screenshots and details, this teaser trailer, and their downloads page offers a playable demo. Here's a bit on the game:

Evochron Mercenary is a freeform space-sim that focuses on 'lone-wolf' survival gameplay. Players are free to seek their fortune as an independent mercenary in an adventure directed by their choices, abilities, and accomplishments. Each player can bring their unique skills and interests to the game, forming clans for cooperative goals or remaining solo to complete objectives on their own in true freeform space-sim gameplay. They can choose to fight for the military in battle filled war zones or take on objectives as a civilian. A player's decisions and actions define their role in the game and establish their reputations, wealth, progress, and ranking.

View
10. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Sep 17, 2010, 21:43 Aero

I actually like to think of it as a combination of naval combat (capital ships) and WW2 style dogfights (Star Wars style, pretty much) with fighters.

I like the X games, but for me they tend to be too large-scale economics based (factories and stuff, I prefer the lone trader approach). I also don't care for the organization of the universe as a bunch of effectively empty cubes of space between jump gates. That is where Evochron has its biggest strength IMO, in that it is one big continuous galaxy with the appropriate planetary system structure (though scaled way down, of course... planets seem to be about five miles in diameter). If you had a few years to kill, you could, for instance fly from one planet to another in another star system on just thrusters.

That said, the X Universe somehow seemed more alive to me than Evochron, though it's hard to say why. In that sense, I think Freelancer was excellent. Even though in reality it is a much, much simpler implementation, the radio chatter, being able to pick up missions from characters at bars and such, made for excellent atmosphere, even though it was all very superficial and repetitive.

I suspect you'd like Evochron, but it is a very different breed of game than X3. It's probably worth putting in the tutorial time plus the 90 minutes of gameplay you get in the demo.

Previous Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Sep 17, 12:01 Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo netrace
  2. Sep 17, 14:01  Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo ASeven
  3. Sep 17, 15:05 Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Dev
  4. Sep 17, 15:51 Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo D4rkKnight
  5. Sep 17, 16:18  Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo ASeven
  11. Sep 18, 15:45   Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Quboid
  6. Sep 17, 16:44 Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo space captain
  7. Sep 17, 17:18  Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Nomaar
  8. Sep 17, 19:51   Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Aero
  9. Sep 17, 20:52    Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Rigs
>> 10. Sep 17, 21:43     Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Aero

footer

Blue's News logo