Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo

StarWraith 3D Games LLC announces the promised release of Evochron Mercenary, saying the newest installment in their space combat and trading simulation rounds out the Evochron trilogy. The game's website has screenshots and details, this teaser trailer, and their downloads page offers a playable demo. Here's a bit on the game:

Evochron Mercenary is a freeform space-sim that focuses on 'lone-wolf' survival gameplay. Players are free to seek their fortune as an independent mercenary in an adventure directed by their choices, abilities, and accomplishments. Each player can bring their unique skills and interests to the game, forming clans for cooperative goals or remaining solo to complete objectives on their own in true freeform space-sim gameplay. They can choose to fight for the military in battle filled war zones or take on objectives as a civilian. A player's decisions and actions define their role in the game and establish their reputations, wealth, progress, and ranking.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Sep 18, 2010, 15:45 Quboid

ASeven wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 16:18:
D4rkKnight wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 15:51:
Not very modable apparently, they lock it down I hear. That's a shame because games like this thrive on large mod communities like X has.

What, they did that? Ah damn, what a missed opportunity, the game shows some huge modding potential. Why would they want to lock down I wonder?

Evochron games, AFAIK including this, use a lot of programmatically generated assets, so there aren't texture or model files that can be modified or over-written. It's not that it's locked down, it's fundamentally set to a particular style. That's how they have a game with high resolution graphics in space and in atmosphere, yet only a 228MB download.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Sep 17, 2010, 21:43 Aero

I actually like to think of it as a combination of naval combat (capital ships) and WW2 style dogfights (Star Wars style, pretty much) with fighters.

I like the X games, but for me they tend to be too large-scale economics based (factories and stuff, I prefer the lone trader approach). I also don't care for the organization of the universe as a bunch of effectively empty cubes of space between jump gates. That is where Evochron has its biggest strength IMO, in that it is one big continuous galaxy with the appropriate planetary system structure (though scaled way down, of course... planets seem to be about five miles in diameter). If you had a few years to kill, you could, for instance fly from one planet to another in another star system on just thrusters.

That said, the X Universe somehow seemed more alive to me than Evochron, though it's hard to say why. In that sense, I think Freelancer was excellent. Even though in reality it is a much, much simpler implementation, the radio chatter, being able to pick up missions from characters at bars and such, made for excellent atmosphere, even though it was all very superficial and repetitive.

I suspect you'd like Evochron, but it is a very different breed of game than X3. It's probably worth putting in the tutorial time plus the 90 minutes of gameplay you get in the demo.

9. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Sep 17, 2010, 20:52 Rigs

I don't really like missiles in space combat games.

Indeed. Torpedoes, yes. Missiles? Not so much. I prefer to compare space and it's trading and fighting to naval combat, not Top Gun-style air combat. Maybe if you go 'atmospheric', then you can play out those Maverick fantasies. Starshatter had a good mix of this, as well as the older Elite/Frontier games. I suppose (at the risk of summoning 'the demon') you could say the Battlecruiser 3000 games were in this genre as well. Probably the one thing in those games that worked like you would think it would...

*Looks around the room for any sign of...Him...*

While I'm extremely biased toward the X series (been following and playing since X was a wee little tech demo...they're so cute at that age, you know... ) I have to say that I've always wanted the option to 'hit the dirt' instead of being confined to the cold and loveless vacuum of space. Curiously, though I love the 'space trading and combat' genre, I don't think I've ever played an Evochron game. I remember Star Wraith 3D back in the day, but I think I just shrugged it off as a cheap imitation of X, more arcade-ish than a free-roaming sim. It looks like I may have to give this one some more time on my schedule. Of course, I have to deal with the guilt of not devoting that time to my true love, X3:TC...then again, it's not like I haven't cheated before...you know, once a cheater, always a cheater...(my ex-wife would probably tend to agree also)...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2010, 21:01.

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

8. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Sep 17, 2010, 19:51 Aero

More of a single player game like Elite/Freelancer, but it does have multiplayer. You use your singleplayer character in multiplayer and the multiplayer portion is otherwise identical to the singleplayer except that other players are present in the galaxy. So, in that sense, it is rather like an MMOG, with the exception of the "massive" part. The confusion probably comes from that. There isn't really a distinction between single player and multiplayer.

So far as I know (it's been a while), there are not any "official" servers, and I don't know how many people can be on a server at once. The community based around the official message board is small but pretty tight knit though and very friendly to new players, so it works out pretty well.

The previous versions were pretty good if you are into the Elite/Freelancer style space sims. It felt a little sterile and repetitive to me when I last played (two versions ago), but it looks like things have improved quite a bit along those lines. I think I'm going to buy a copy.

My biggest gripe with previous versions was that combat was too missile oriented. I don't really like missiles in space combat games.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2010, 20:19.

7. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Sep 17, 2010, 17:18 Nomaar

Is this a multiplayer universe a la EVE? The feature listings doesn't make it clear.  

6. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Sep 17, 2010, 16:44 space captain

this game ANNIHILATES the X series.. its in another league entirely

it also has an online MP component that is extremely fleshed out

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/features.htm

Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Sep 17, 2010, 16:18 ASeven

D4rkKnight wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 15:51:
Not very modable apparently, they lock it down I hear. That's a shame because games like this thrive on large mod communities like X has.

What, they did that? Ah damn, what a missed opportunity, the game shows some huge modding potential. Why would they want to lock down I wonder?

4. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Sep 17, 2010, 15:51 D4rkKnight

3. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Sep 17, 2010, 15:05 Dev

I love freeform space games, has anyone tried this? I suppose I need to get the demo and see if its to my taste.  

2. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Sep 17, 2010, 14:01 ASeven

Bought! I think this may be the game I've been looking for, the one to succeed Frontier.  

1. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Sep 17, 2010, 12:01 netrace

Awesome! Loved Legends. Glad to see that this is out.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo