Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies

IGN reports on some comments made by Activision CEO Bobby Kotick to attendees of a Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference about the idea that they could remove the cut-scenes from a game like StarCraft II and market them as a commercial movie. If that's not startling enough, then wait for the price point he mentioned, as he envisions selling such a "movie" for $20.00-$30.00. He says: "If we were to take that hour, or hour an a half, and take it out of the game and we were to go to our audiences, who we have their credit card information a direct relationship, and say to them 'Would you like to have the StarCraft movie?" Here's more:

My guess is unlike film studios that are really stuck with a model that goes through theatrical distribution and takes a signification amount of the profit away, if we were to go to an audience and say 'We have this great hour and a half of linear video that we'd like to make available to you at a $20 or $30 price point,' you'd have the biggest opening weekend of any film ever.

Within the next five years, you are likely to see us do that. It might be in a partnership with somebody or alone, but there will be a time where we'll capitalize on the relationship we have with our audience; deliver them something that is really extraordinary and let them consume it directly through us instead of theatrical distribution.

If we were to deliver a film digitally this way, I'd say an extremely high percentage would then go to the theater and watch it again.

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 22:21 Dr. D. Schreber

Sepharo wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 22:09:
bhcompy wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 20:24:
Flatline wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 20:12:
I dunno how successful such an idea would be.

Most of the people I know (even diehard FF7 fans) skipped Advent Children. The ones who didn't wished they had.

And I'll agree that Blizzard games have a plot about as deep as a tuna can.

you know different FF fans than I do then

Yeah I'm not really a big FF fan or anything but listening to remixed One Winged Angel with electric guitars as Sephiroth and Cloud fight on a collapsing sky scraper is pretty good fan service if you ask me.

It's basically Advent Fanservice. Why that's a problem for some, I've no idea...

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 22:09 Sepharo

bhcompy wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 20:24:

Most of the people I know (even diehard FF7 fans) skipped Advent Children. The ones who didn't wished they had.

Yeah I'm not really a big FF fan or anything but listening to remixed One Winged Angel with electric guitars as Sephiroth and Cloud fight on a collapsing sky scraper is pretty good fan service if you ask me.

67. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 21:55 Mr. Tact

Apologies in advance, I didn't read any of the previous posts to this news item. Just taking a second to say, "Wow, just when you thought he couldn't say anything to make himself look even more stupid, he does."

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

66. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 21:47 Dev

Acleacius wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 07:43:
This is the guy that kept Troika from completing Bloodlines, properly patching and preventing the release of an editor, does anything else really need to be said?

Except for possibly, I hope his career is at stake on this decision.

That was him? Screw kotick!

65. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 20:24 bhcompy

64. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 20:12 Flatline

63. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 17:24 Creston

Prez wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 12:06:
It's a SNUGGY - not a snuggli. JEEZ!

And I'm ashamed to say that there exists one in my house. At least I can say it's not mine.

That's no excuse, son... Sigh

Creston

62. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 16:50 Verno

Well played sir  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

61. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 15:58 Kxmode

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 11:53:
kxmode wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 11:43:
The only time this would be acceptable, and I would gladly pay $20, would be if the Blizzard's cinematics department made a full-length StarCraft, Warcraft or Diablo film. And I don't mean in-game cinematics, I mean fully rendered CGI.

Even if you had a full length CGI movie from them you would still run into the problem where most Blizzard games have a plot about as deep as your average episode of CSI Miami.

It looks like...... (puts sun glasses on) you don't like Blizzard. YEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! Cool

60. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 13:25 bhcompy

Bhruic wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 11:39:

I assume he is isnt talking about the EA store since...ern....well he is the president of Activision....

Doh!

I, uh, meant Activision...! Do they even have an online store?

Yea, Battle.net and worldofwarcraft.com Not too many credit card numbers to be found there, nope, not at all.

59. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 12:18 Bhruic

If we were to deliver a film digitally this way, I'd say an extremely high percentage would then go to the theater and watch it again.

Hmm, I missed this part on my first read through... Really? You're going to charge people $20-$30 to download it, and then they are going to spend more money to re-watch it in theatre?

Was this one of those conferences where you just make up a bunch of bullshit to try and sound on top of things? Because the more of it I hear, the more it's sounding exceptionally unlikely. And I can't believe that, despite it being Bobby Kotick, he's really that out of touch.

58. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 12:14 Bhruic

Yes. http://store.ea.com and http://www.activision.com/atvi/act_store.html

Yeah, I was making a snide comment about how popular it is.

57. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 12:06 Prez

It's a SNUGGY - not a snuggli. JEEZ!

And I'm ashamed to say that there exists one in my house. At least I can say it's not mine.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

56. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 11:53 Verno

kxmode wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 11:43:
The only time this would be acceptable, and I would gladly pay $20, would be if the Blizzard's cinematics department made a full-length StarCraft, Warcraft or Diablo film. And I don't mean in-game cinematics, I mean fully rendered CGI.

Even if you had a full length CGI movie from them you would still run into the problem where most Blizzard games have a plot about as deep as your average episode of CSI Miami. I'm not paying $20 for that kind of writing quality in a tiny film, I can give that money to Hollywood if I want to be abused. They at least have the occasional diamond in the rough.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

55. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 11:44 Kxmode

Bhruic wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 11:39:

I assume he is isnt talking about the EA store since...ern....well he is the president of Activision....

Doh!

Yes. http://store.ea.com and http://www.activision.com/atvi/act_store.html

54. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 11:43 Kxmode

InBlack wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 10:42:
The thing is Blizzard doesnt really produce shovelware. Even I who hates MMO's with a vengeance have to admit that there has to be something to a game that has over 10 million people subscribed. I still think its the worst game Blizzard has made but still....thats just my opinion.

But now that we are talking about ActiBlizz its only a matter of time before Bobby has his way with them....

53. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 11:39 Bhruic

Doh!

52. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 10:59 InBlack

Well they are welcome to their Snugglis or whatever. But I for one have a problem with developers being pulled from game production to work on shit like this....  

I have a nifty blue line!

51. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 10:46 Stanly Manly

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 10:37:
The other side of this coin is that people buy dumb little meaningless things from Blizzard all the time. Hell quite a few people from this site bought the virtual my little pony mount for $25. I'm sure more than a few of you have paid for e-pets even. So maybe Bobby isn't so crazy after all.

That is exactly what is going on here.

The fine posters here at Blues News often forget that the vast majority of people out there enjoy entertainment such as "Jersey Shore", and feel a "Snuggli" is a fine purchase.

We are not their intended market. They will make oodles of money with this. I mean, hell... people have purchased new "Madden" games every year for the past 11 (I think) years.

50. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 10:46 Creston

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 10:37:
The other side of this coin is that people buy dumb little meaningless things from Blizzard all the time. Hell quite a few people from this site bought the virtual my little pony mount for $25. I'm sure more than a few of you have paid for e-pets even. So maybe Bobby isn't so crazy after all.

He's not crazy. Far from it.

He's just really, really, REALLY fucking irritating.

I loved that comment about the credit cards. "Well, we have their credit card info, already."

I'm sure he was thinking about just charging everyone whose information they have for this "invaluable" product.

Creston

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo