Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust

There is an Xbox 360 LTD Edition Halo: Reach Console on eBay that is autographed by Bungie's entire development team for Halo: Reach. The system is being auctioned for a good cause, as the entire purchase price from its sale will be donated to The Brian Wood Memorial Trust, dedicated to assisting the family of the Relic developer who recently died while heroically saving his wife and unborn chiild. This unboxing video shows the contents of the Halo: Reach Console, and this post on Bungie.net verifies the bona fides of this offer.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust Sep 17, 2010, 03:56 LittleMe

spacecaptain, well said. I need to digest what you said. I have also listened to another man's talk, Shinzen Young. He went to great depths into different aspects of enlightenment stuffs. After I listened to the whole 12+ hour audiobook set, I was like, okay that's all interesting and useful to a degree, but not very necessary either. He knows a lot of stuff though. Listened to a few others as well. I always seem to gravitate back to Tolle as the most insightful and awakening.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2010, 04:51.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust Sep 17, 2010, 02:31 space captain

I think I would rather talk about it here, right in front of you

As you fling your monkey shit with glee

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust Sep 17, 2010, 01:53 Rattlehead

lol@ all their tools here and their pseudo-knowledge of psychiatry. This is a fucking gaming site. Doesn't this site have moderators or something? What about a section where you can take your off-topic psychobabble nonsense somewhere else?  

12. Re: Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust Sep 17, 2010, 00:12 space captain

I dont want to give the impression I am trying to invalidate Tolle's message, but to be frank its something that I can only recommend as an "introductory pamphlet" type of material. The fact it is endorsed by Oprah should give you a clue which market it appeals to most widely and why.

I have noticed in a number of cases where people have spontaneous "awakening" type experiences with no prior experience of working with a particular tradition (like tolle), they tend to lack the necessary tools to properly delineate practices which lead to "awakening" at the most applicable level because they are already absorbed in some aspect of their own transformed selves. When trying to communicate this to others, it often results in circular logic and repetition of popular buzz words (like "truth", "reality", "self", etc.) with very vague and nebulous definitions. All of which is fluff, and not necessary. The matter is, at heart, a practical one - not theoretical or philosophical. The conceptual aspect is a support system at best. Since these people did not practice anything before having this "awakening", they are only communicating possibility of transformation after the fact.

There are a number of these kinds of people. Deeply believing in what they say tends to prevent a critical investigation into the nature of such experiences, which happen naturally and also through practice. Its a massive sticking point, a treacherous area.
There is a pleasure in being mad which none but madmen know

Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust Sep 16, 2010, 23:39 The Half Elf

Gonna say this in the nicest way possible, how about you all SHUT THE FUCK UP, and go take your ego e-peen crap elsewhere?

Regardless of what he may or may have not done, this is to benefit the wife and child of a guy who was part of the community we call gaming.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust Sep 16, 2010, 22:23 LittleMe

Re space captain yes that's all good stuff there. I was answering in simpler terms because I didn't know from where you were coming. All good advice there. I'll read Ramana and Advaita. You are right, there's more than just that one type of meditation of course. Yes, the mirage of perfection is merely a mentally derived concept of what reality 'should' be anyway (as Tolle puts it).

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

9. Re: Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust Sep 16, 2010, 22:08 Burrito of Peace

No, we call that "science" LittleMe. You know, facts and truths...stuff we can measure, replicate and prove?

What you waxed rhapsodic about is myopic quasi-mysticism that has zero scientific backing from any group or institution with any credibility.

Let's not confuse the utterings of some brahmin herder who smoked a bit too hashish with the work of intelligent, articulate people who've made the world a better place with their efforts.

So, in short, science by its very nature contradicts religion/mysticism/ignorant bullshit.

8. Re: Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust Sep 16, 2010, 22:00 LittleMe

re: The Advocate... Yes those specifics regarding adrenaline, endorphins, inhibiting pain receptors, etc are all a part of presence. Apart from the significant amount of ego boosting insults and derogatory language, there's nothing really in your post that, in my opinion, contradicts what I said.

7. Re: Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust Sep 16, 2010, 21:55 space captain

LittleMe wrote on Sep 16, 2010, 20:40:
The word 'presence' perhaps best describes it. It's an extensive subject. In an emergency situation we don't have time to think or analyze, we just act or do what the moment calls for.

This is incorrect, as it does not require 'presence' to accomplish such feats of "superhuman strength". It is actually an instinctual response, meaning it is unconscious. The mechanics are enacted by the endocrine system, or more specifically the adrenals.

Also, I really have no interest in Tolle's watered down version of Advaita or any others of his ilk (Gangaji, Mooji, Walsch, etc.). If you are seriously interested in this kind of path, I would suggest reading something by Ramana.

"Meditation" is not just about achieving what you conceptualize as "presence". There are many aspects, many types of meditations. Self-cultivation is a field of work which has existed for many thousands of years, in many different corners of the globe.

The harmonious correlation of being and knowledge produces understanding - through the simultaneous coordination of thought, feeling and sensation. It is an extensive work, so good luck. Be wary of the neo-advaita mirage of "perfection" which causes people to just sit idly by as possibilities dissipate.

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust Sep 16, 2010, 21:41 Burrito of Peace

Bah.

All this hippie, crystal worshipping, New Age horseshit is useless. Ignorant morons peddling modern snake oil to mouth breathing retards. Let's make with the science and deal with some facts.

What we consider "thought" is not actually thought. It is more appropriately called contemplation. Our brains are constantly thinking and most often on a subconscious level.

In situations where our fight or flight reflex kicks in, our bodies are flooded with adrenaline which increases synaptic activity exponentially for a brief amount of time. This allows our subconscious to observe, evaluate and execute in less time than it takes to blink an eye. Adrenaline, combined with endorphins, also inhibits our pain receptors in the nervous system. This allows human beings to perform actions that are normally beyond the scope of the design of our motive force, our muscles.

Every try to lift something really heavy and can't? Why "can't" you? Because doing so triggers two responses; the first being your muscles sending off a pulse to your brain that says "Hey, asshole, this really fucking hurts since this is WAY beyond our load capacity" and the second being recollection of past experiences when we have overtaxed ourselves, leaving us sore and in pain the following day(s). None of that comes in to play in an emergency situation when we're dealing with the fight or flight response. Our brain literally ignores it in favor of self-preservation and the preservation of our family group or tribe. The desire to survive literally trumps everything else.

Also, you ever notice they rarely, if ever, do follow up stories on those people who lift cars, pipes, airplanes and that statue of Jesus in Brazil? That's because it's less "amazing" when you find out those people have torn a large amount of muscle, damaged their joints or created other, larger health risks.

Those don't sell commercials or newspaper well.

Now, you may return to babbling about meditation, oneness with the Universe, Yoda and that jar of Jiffy peanut butter in the pantry.

5. Re: Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust Sep 16, 2010, 21:05 LittleMe

A good example Petra Nemkova, when she was in the 2004 tsunami she jumped up a tree and even with broken hips, in subsequent interviews described the experience as 'very peaceful.' This was because the emergency situation stopped her thinking mind.

It is the thinking mind that creates adversity with reality and this is why most people's life experience isn't peaceful or joyful. It's a huge topic, so I suggest listening to or reading the books I previously suggested.

So what I'm saying is that Brian experienced a brief period of sanity before he died...

4. Re: Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust Sep 16, 2010, 20:40 LittleMe

space captain wrote on Sep 16, 2010, 19:39:
And you are attributing this "amazing" ability to... what, exactly?

The word 'presence' perhaps best describes it. It's an extensive subject. In an emergency situation we don't have time to think or analyze, we just act or do what the moment calls for. Thinking however pulls us out of reality, into a world of abstract concepts, this takes energy that would otherwise be focused in reality. Each thought is an abstraction and even these words here are an abstraction. Humans are compulsive and habitual thinkers, however.

I suggest the book "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle to learn about this in much more detail. His second book "A New Earth" is good too. Audiobooks can be found online in the usual places.

Achieving 'presence' is what meditation is about.

3. Re: Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust Sep 16, 2010, 19:39 space captain

LittleMe wrote on Sep 16, 2010, 18:40:
It's the same reason we hear of people doing amazing feats in desperate moments. I remember in the 80's there was a show that covered a real event where this man picked up a 1000+ pound pipe to rescue a child trapped under it. He did it with no difficulty. Later he tried to do it again and he couldn't lift it no matter how hard he tried.

And you are attributing this "amazing" ability to... what, exactly?

Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust Sep 16, 2010, 18:40 LittleMe

Because there was so little time to think about it, that's probably why it was so selfless. Makes perfect sense to me.

There was no time to think about it, only act. It's the same reason we hear of people doing amazing feats in desperate moments. I remember in the 80's there was a show that covered a real event where this man picked up a 1000+ pound pipe to rescue a child trapped under it. He did it with no difficulty. Later he tried to do it again and he couldn't lift it no matter how hard he tried.

What we've discovered here is the 'little me' - a product of thinking (which is what my name here jokes about).

Edit: Doesn't relic focus on PC gaming? Why give an xbox away? Oh well...

1. Re: Xbox 360 Auction for Brian Wood Trust Sep 16, 2010, 18:31 Scottish Martial Arts

I have to admit that I'm a bit dubious of the whole "swerving to put his body in the way" thing. I don't wish to imply that that wasn't in the guy's character -- I'm sure it was -- but accidents like these happen so quickly and are so surprising there is no time to consciously make such a decision. One second you're absorbed in the banality of driving home or to work like you do everyday, and the next second there is an SUV bouncing across the freeway like a basketball leaving a trail of shattered glass, metal and plastic.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo