Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 21:56 John

Most games that are on both the PS3 and X360, have better performance and graphics on the 360. That's on many reviews too.

This space is available for rent
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 19:14 avianflu

Argh Voodoo, in no way are the graphics better in the PS3. Sorry that's a tired played out argument that I am surprised anyone would make! They are utterly comparable to the 360 in actual playable games. Sure some games look slightly better; some slightly worse but they are all the same canned graphical effects. Argh.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 17:34 swaaye

Saying it will last only helps them. I remember when Nintendo said the NES wasn't dead even when the SNES was around. Companies usually don't burn bridges.

I don't know if it could do another 5 years. I don't know if that matters either way to the average console gamer. They probably just take whatever gets spoon fed to them.

I think it really depends on what the competition is up to. Since the money is in the software and the services, not the hardware, I'm sure that they would love to see 360 last forever.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 17:23 VoodooV

Nah, the Wii has proven that only the niche self-proclaimed "hard core" gamers care about high end graphics. The vast majority of gamers don't even know what chipset is in the 360, nor do they care. The PS3 has proven this. It has the best graphics of the current generation...very few people care.

And really. What is the next generation consoles going to offer us that make gaming inherently better. We already have built in wireless networking, internet services and stupid gimmicks like kinect and waggle. Aside from better graphics and more gimmicks like kinect, what would the next generation of consoles have to offer?

Personally, I want them to open up the console more, allow K/M, allow some form of modding of the games. If the goal is PC/Console convergence so that it doesn't matter if it's PC or Console and it's the same game regardless, then that's what they need to do. I just don't see them doing that...at least not with the next gen console. They're going to HAVE to do it at some point though, IMO

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 16:52 avianflu

The issue has nothing to do with past consoles. MS knows they have to release a new faster 360 the same year as the new wii or risk market share. And as others point out rightly here, 360 games are all starting to look similar graphically. Even 2 more years of semi-blurry textures and lowish framerates will bore the 360 gamer/consumer.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 16:46 JoeNapalm

MS will never come out and say "We're releasing a new Xbox in two years."

The reason is people like me - about every six months I get the bug to buy an Xbox 360...some Xbox only game comes out that looks shiny, some of my friends bug me to play, and I seriously think about it...and every time I wonder what the remaining lifespan of the system really is.

If I knew for certain it was two or three years, I probably wouldn't get one. I still might not, but it's long enough in the tooth that this factors into my ponderings.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 16:46 Beamer

Why would you base the Xbox360's lifespan on how their competitor performed previously? It makes more sense to base it on the history of the Xbox after the Xbox360 was released and the answer is that it didn't last long.

The 360 has performed more closely to the PS than to the Xbox.

I would be surprised if anything but sports games were still being released in three years even.

Well, we're not going to get a new Xbox until 2013. Small chance it's bumped to 2012, but I'm doubting it. So we're guaranteed games in 2014 because they'll be the final push.
Beyond that, we'll get the ones that are mostly exclusive to small markets, and the cheap games from tiny devs/publishers that come out because it's easy.

Remember, the Dreamcast still gets new games in 2010. It had at least 4 games in 2009. So arguably it still has life, even years after production stopped. I'd like to call the end of life when production stops, and I think 5 years is an easy call for the 360. But the production will simply be focused on markets like Brazil and China; the ones that won't get the next generation for years after the US.

The problem with this statement on its face is that the people disagreeing with it are in the "what's it to me" mindset. Very few people in this topic buy 360 games now, of course none will be buying them in 5 years. But hundreds of thousands of Brazilians will be.

As mentioned, the link won't open for me at work, so maybe Microsoft said something stupid like "the 360 will be on top for 5 more years." I doubt that. Microsoft and Sony both hoped to push the next generation to 2015 but as far as I know they've both realized it needs to be 2012-2014. Still, every major system has sold very well post new system outside of the original Xbox, but that was pretty much dying prior to the 360, anyway.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 16:29 Verno

So there's really no denying that the Xbox 360 still has another 5 years.

Why would you base the Xbox360's lifespan on how their competitor performed previously? It makes more sense to base it on the history of the Xbox after the Xbox360 was released and the answer is that it didn't last long.

I sincerely doubt the Xbox360 has another five years of life in it, I would be surprised if anything but sports games were still being released in three years even. The 360 base is the type of market who will either upgrade quickly or move to a competitors system judging by the massive upswing in PS3 sales this year. I don't see them sitting around forever with the Kinect which has very limited appeal to the consoles base and a tough sell to an exhausted casual market.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 16:11 Beamer

*note* I can't read the article so I can only comment on the headline.

You guys are forgetting the PS and PS2. They both had very long lifespans. PS2 games are still released. PS games were released for what, 13 years? And hardware cycles were much shorter back then.

So there's really no denying that the Xbox 360 still has another 5 years. That doesn't mean it won't have a replacement out in that time. The Xbox 720 or whatever will come out in 2013. Xbox 360s will drop under $100. They'll outsell the 720 for the first six months. The final major 360 games will come out a year after the 720, and some will be the best games for the system, far and away. The system will then leave the major markets but still thrive in Brazil, China, etc.

I'd say it has 7 years left. 3 years unchallenged. 1.5 more on US shelves. 2.5 more in smaller markets with new titles barely trickling out yet still coming out.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 13:20 entr0py

If Microsoft thinks they can do what Nintendo did with the Wii, they're wrong. Yes, a new motion controller allowed Nintendo to essentially sell the same hardware for another 5 years (with some minor improvements). But that success was due to factors Microsoft can't hope to duplicate. The price was much lower and it was a novelty. Both of those factors helped it appeal to kids and casual gamers. So did the great first party Nintendo titles.

They don't have the price tag or the developers to appeal to casual gamers. And meanwhile core gamers will grow disgruntled with Microsoft's new focus on wealthy babies.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 13:18 SirKnight

The 360 hardware was outdated 5 years ago. It does not make sense to stretch it 5 more years. Easily my ass.

I never thought the 360 would be stretched this long actually. I remember when it came out thinking my PC at the time was far more powerful (it was!) and the 360 seemed rather weak and crusty then.

All games for years now have looked the same. It's getting quite boring actually. It's time for xbox 720 and PS4 with DX11/GL4 capabilities with compute (OpenCL/CUDA/etc). At least.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 12:40 Cutter

It's pretty much outdated now. They'd be fools if they don't launch something new in the next 2 years.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 11:20 Verno

avianflu wrote on Sep 16, 2010, 11:16:
Dec 2011 will have a completely new faster xbox with builtin Kinect.

I don't think they could get away with that. They had to put in a hardware limiter to slow down the recent Xbox 360 upgrade so that performance was equal across the SKUs as the consumer base probably wouldn't tolerate a "fast" SKU. The whole 32X idea has been tried and failed miserably, multiple times.

Built in Kinect, I have no idea, it doesn't seem likely though given the size of Kinect without a total redesign of the existing 360 base and chassis.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 11:16 avianflu

Dec 2011 will have a completely new faster xbox with builtin Kinect. Not sure how anyone could suggest otherwise, especially with a new Wii arriving at that same time. One hopes Sony will do the same but who knows with Sony these days.  

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 10:58 SpectralMeat

No this is all media BS so Sony doesn't suspect anything. I bet you within 2-3 years we will see a new Xbox. Just like the new redesigned Xbox noone knew it was coming until the day of reveal pretty much.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 10:42 Verno

Xbox 360 'easily' has 5 years left - MS.

Hahaha, yeah no it doesn't. I hope they don't really believe that, I know the culture in Redmond is very cultish but seriously that's just bizarre given how hardware constrained games are right now.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo