Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Alpha Protocol Patched

Though it's not reflected on the busy Alpha Protocol Website, the promised first patch is now available to update Obsidian Entertainment's espionage-themed third-person RPG to version 1.1. The patch is available on the SEGA Website and it's mirrored on AtomicGamer, The Patches Scrolls, and WorthPlaying. Here's brief word on what it offers: "We’ve recently released a patch for Alpha Protocol PC that addresses issues with installation, activation and some other minor technical problems. Below are the simple steps to install the update."

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 17:54 winnetou

By the way, this really seems to be a PC-exclusive stability patch. Started the game on a PS3 and didn't receive any update.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 15:53 Beamer

Don't know whether to laugh or cry, that experienced gamers can't tell the difference between publisher and developer responsibility.

Why should "experienced gamers" know?

Part of the reason I get so frustrated by the opinions of this board is that so many people here thinks that being an "experienced gamer" means they have extreme insight into the gaming business. I thought so. Then I actually started working for a business, one that I actually bitched about here several times (maybe "several" is an understatement.) Once I saw how massively wrong my assumptions were my attitude changed drastically. Nearly everything that pissed me off was due to misconception, or at the very least not deliberate decision, and I realized what a douche I'd been.

Yet so many people here keep relying upon those assumptions, the ones that are painfully incorrect, and get angry and/or overly negative due to them.

blah blah blah "I was like you once!" blah blah blah.
Bottom line is that until you've actually worked in the industry your insight is pretty warped and your assumptions are often incorrect.
This "you" is generalized. For all I know You, the guy I'm replying to, might.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 15:49 Tomas

I'll stand by my assertion that Alpha Protocol was six solid months away from being a classic. Even as is, with the bad design decisions that easily could have been fixed and the few niggling consolifications it's a really fun game. If you can get past the initial weirdness of the AI and combat then you might find a really fun game underneath the brutal reviews. I had a blast with it...but I sure do wish they'd fixed those few issues. Had they, I'm sure we'd be talking about how awesome the upcoming expansion is going to be instead of whether New Vegas is going to be garbage or not.

edit: no, there is not an expansion on the horizon. I wish there was...one that fixed those issues, but if wishes were...

21. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 14:04 Verno

Acleacius wrote on Sep 15, 2010, 13:20:
Don't know whether to laugh or cry, that experienced gamers can't tell the difference between publisher and developer responsibility.

Yes it's definitely Sega's responsibility to fund the game until Obsidian feels their product is finished in the year 2012 Rolleyes

It's not like the games problems were solely related to technical issues, far from it even. Most of the issues are design related. You can only fault Sega for releasing the game itself.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

20. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 13:20 Acleacius

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

19. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 13:12 Prez

Verno wrote on Sep 15, 2010, 08:52:
So I'm going to disagree with you here Prez
BOO!

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 15, 2010, 11:08:
I have to agree with Prez on this one.

YAY!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 11:08 Wowbagger_TIP

I have to agree with Prez on this one. I played through this game 3 times already, and I'll probably play through it again soon. It's a good game that just needed some additional polishing. I don't think it really deserves the beating it took from the critics. I've enjoyed it far more than a lot of other games that got much better ratings.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

17. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 10:28 Beamer

It has been stated before that Atari chose to delay the release of AP to avoid competing with certain blockbusters ... Obsidian didn't get funding to polish or fix the game in that period ..

Which is similar to Bloodlines. Bloodlines DID get extra time after going gold, contrary to popular belief. Just not as much time as perhaps they wanted. They were given a chance to make some patches, passed it off, then had it delayed. Remember, the game didn't come out the same time as HL2 not due to contractual obligations (which delayed it to that point), but because the publisher was smart enough to know that everyone interested in Bloodlines would be too busy with HL2.

It's a smart move and you see it in Hollywood all the time. Movies almost always sit around longer than they need to in order to hit a certain date. In some cases that may be years, if the movie is clearly terrible and needs to be dumped in a hole in the calendar.

It becomes a case of good money after bad, though. If the publisher sees a game has gone well over budget, in time and money, and sees little change, why would it keep investing in it? How much more time would Obsidian have needed to fix Alpha Protocol? Would it have become outdated in that time? How many millions more would it cost? How many millions more would it then generate back for that investment?

Ultimately it's a business, and it made the most business sense not to sink more money into Alpha Protocol. The money was better put into other games. It's not like Sega screwed people: the reviews were very clear about the flaws of the game, it was easy to tell from the reviews whether you'd like the game despite those flaws, and many did. Those of you that didn't, have you gone back and read the reviews to see if you would have kept away?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 09:53 Umbragen

Puh-leeese, Obsidian dumped this on Sega as soon as they meet their contractual obligations. How do you think they've managed to get Fallout: New Vegas out the door so soon after this game's release? (Of course, F:NV could be a buggy mess too, Bethesda's not above dumping an un unfinished game on the market)

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2010, 15:03.

15. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 09:15 Ray Ban

It has been stated before that Atari chose to delay the release of AP to avoid competing with certain blockbusters ... Obsidian didn't get funding to polish or fix the game in that period ...  
"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

14. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 08:56 Verno

I'm really worried about New Vegas. As it is, Bethesda games using Gamebryo tech usually have lots of technical issues on their own. Add in Obsidian's incompetence, and who knows what the state of the game will be at release.

Yeah Gamebryo + Obsidian has the potential to be the buggiest game created, I am quite worried about how that game will turn out.

13. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 08:52 spindoctor

Jerykk wrote on Sep 15, 2010, 02:09:
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines was delayed due to the HL2 source code theft but Activision did not give Troika any extra time to polish the game.

In the case of Bloodlines, the delay was unavoidable. The contract between Valve and Activision/Troika stated that HL2 had to be the first Source engine game released.

So what was the unavoidable circumstance that led to Sega delaying the game? Does anyone think publishers like to (or in this case, can afford to) sit on finished products for 8 months just for the heck of it? Odds are, by the time Obsidian was supposed to be finishing the project on the old schedule (around Summer 2009), they probably didn't even have an executable that could run.

Sega isn't the best publisher around, but I think even they realized that this was just a losing proposition and decided to cut their losses and stop funding early, if that is indeed what they did.

The clowns at Obsidian have amazing resumes, but having the best idea in the world means absolutely nothing if you cannot execute it. And that's where Obsidian fails all the time.

I'm really worried about New Vegas. As it is, Bethesda games using Gamebryo tech usually have lots of technical issues on their own. Add in Obsidian's incompetence, and who knows what the state of the game will be at release.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

12. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 08:52 Verno

Wasn't expecting much when I picked this up on a sale, given the lukewarm reviews but boy, am I enjoying the hell out of it. This is a case where I think the reviewers and, by-and-large the community, really got it wrong with this one. The graphics are bland as is the combat, but the exact same thing can be said about Deus Ex, and it is generally considered one of the best PC games of all time.

The difference being that the sum of Deus Ex's flaws combine to make a wonderful experience. The disjointed and flawed systems in Alpha Protocol never really come together because a lot of the design seems conflicted. What Para said about there being a lot of internal fighting over this title at Obsidian makes sense given how half baked everything feels. The only good thing I can really say about it is that it does mission and story branching properly but that's not enough to overcome its many faults.

So I'm going to disagree with you here Prez, this game got exactly the critical and commercial reception it deserved. Like most Obsidian games I'm sure if they had been given another year or two then it would have been a different experience but that says more about their internal projection and scheduling issues than it does about publishers. This isn't exactly their first time having this happen.

11. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 08:24 Prez

Wasn't expecting much when I picked this up on a sale, given the lukewarm reviews but boy, am I enjoying the hell out of it. This is a case where I think the reviewers and, by-and-large the community, really got it wrong with this one. The graphics are bland as is the combat, but the exact same thing can be said about Deus Ex, and it is generally considered one of the best PC games of all time.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 07:43 nin

Kotor 2 anyone?

Sorry, as much as I'd love to not blame Obsidian, history does speak for itself.

Yep. Obsidian puts out flop after flop, yet somehow it's never their fault.

I'll wait for a $10 sale on Steam for this one...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 07:38 Parallax Abstraction

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 15, 2010, 07:19:
Kotor 2 anyone?

Sorry, as much as I'd love to not blame Obsidian, history does speak for itself.

KoTOR2 was also not Obsidian's fault entirely. LucasArts pulled up the release and forced them to put it out earlier than it was originally set for in order to make a Christmas rush. Not saying Obsidian's perfect by any means (and there's been stories about internal company politics negatively affecting the design of Alpha Protocol) but they've been screwed over by publishers more than once. Given what a buggy mess at least the PC version of Fallout 3 was (and still is) and how bad some other recent Bethesda releases have been, I am nervous about Fallout: New Vegas.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

8. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 07:19 The Half Elf

Kotor 2 anyone?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 06:43 Verno

Acleacius wrote on Sep 15, 2010, 00:38:
sega had a chance to make it into the big league's with this game and they completely blew it, by not letting Obsidian finish the game.

Given their respective histories, I find it more likely Obsidian blew it by submitting a half finished mess that Sega couldn't afford to rebudget.

6. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 02:09 Jerykk

It was 6 months, and if I recall correctly, it wasn't like they were given a whole year more of development time. The game was handed over in the state you have seen, then Sega put it on the shelf for some time before releasing it.

This. Many people assume that a delay automatically means that the developers are getting more development time but this isn't always the case. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines was delayed due to the HL2 source code theft but Activision did not give Troika any extra time to polish the game. It's a shame because lack of polish was the game's greatest weakness, much like in Alpha Protocol.

5. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 01:50 LarsWestergren

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 15, 2010, 00:52:
They delayed the game a year, if Obsidian couldn't finish it in an extra year well, I'd place the blame on them and not Sega.

It was 6 months, and if I recall correctly, it wasn't like they were given a whole year more of development time. The game was handed over in the state you have seen, then Sega put it on the shelf for some time before releasing it.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo