Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA Beta Drivers

NVIDIA now offers new beta version 260.63 drivers to add support for their newly released GTX 450 GPUs. The new beta drivers are available for Windows Vista/Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows 7/Windows Vista 64-bit, and Windows XP 64-bit. The new drivers increase performance for a number of games running under GTX 460 and GTX 480-based cards.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 22:17 Shineyguy

Dev wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 17:53:
Blue:
Its not "nased" cards

Also, they're GTS450 cards, not GTX450.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 19:26 Wolfen

Quboid wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 17:41:
So my 260 would struggle then.

I used E-Dimensional stereo-vision too. I remember the glasses were incredibly uncomfortable and watching it for a prolonged period would give me a head-ache. I think that was on a 100hz CRT monitor. The 3D effect could be very good and when everything fell into place, it was amazing. Detailed things close to the camera were great. I remember in particular at the end of Quake 3 Arena games you got the top 3 on the medal winner's stand, as that was detailed models close up, they looked so real. Also in NFS:Porsche Unleashed, your car would look great and some dialog box that popped up actually gave me a fright as it looked like it was about a foot in front of me, much closer than the screen. Still, the discomfort, the impracticality and the ineffectiveness for anything but close up models made it all a bit useless.

I hope they've improved. The glasses at least look much sleeker and lighter.

My current monitor is 60hz, or up to 85 at lower resolutions, so I don't think I'll be getting this any time soon but it's an interesting technology. 3D movies aren't great but I've faith in the technology improving and computer games are probably better suited anyway. Making the glasses more comfortable should help it be immersive, which is the main thing - 3D needs to add to the experience, otherwise it is just a gimmick.

Hey if you really just want to try it out. You can pick up some red blue paper glasses for free (cost of shipping) or even just spend 5-10 bucks on a plastic pair. Give the old anaglyph style a try first (and bear in mind it is flawed with colors compared to actual 3d vision) and use the 3d vision discovery mode. You can use it fine a regular LCD. You might want to try dropping your res in half and adding a little AA. I run Batman AA at 1280x800 on my 275 with 4x AA and all the other goodies turned up. Runs fine. Physx is the only real slow down for me in that game.

16. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 19:05 StingingVelvet

Yay Gothic 2 is fixed.  

15. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 17:53 Dev

Blue:
Its not "nased" cards

14. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 17:41 Quboid

So my 260 would struggle then.

I used E-Dimensional stereo-vision too. I remember the glasses were incredibly uncomfortable and watching it for a prolonged period would give me a head-ache. I think that was on a 100hz CRT monitor. The 3D effect could be very good and when everything fell into place, it was amazing. Detailed things close to the camera were great. I remember in particular at the end of Quake 3 Arena games you got the top 3 on the medal winner's stand, as that was detailed models close up, they looked so real. Also in NFS:Porsche Unleashed, your car would look great and some dialog box that popped up actually gave me a fright as it looked like it was about a foot in front of me, much closer than the screen. Still, the discomfort, the impracticality and the ineffectiveness for anything but close up models made it all a bit useless.

I hope they've improved. The glasses at least look much sleeker and lighter.

My current monitor is 60hz, or up to 85 at lower resolutions, so I don't think I'll be getting this any time soon but it's an interesting technology. 3D movies aren't great but I've faith in the technology improving and computer games are probably better suited anyway. Making the glasses more comfortable should help it be immersive, which is the main thing - 3D needs to add to the experience, otherwise it is just a gimmick.

- Quboid

13. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 16:44 Drayth

born2expire wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 16:24:
Drayth wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 16:17:
I'll answer any stereo vision questions I see come up in this thread.

I despise 3D movies (still poor gimmick to me), would I like 3D vision? I mostly play RPG's and MP FPS games.

Probably not that great for MP. The glasses add to immersion. They're a little distracting if you're trying to get the best score you can get in a MP match, though some people love them with Left 4 Dead.

For a first person RPG like Fallout 3, they're bad ass.

12. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 16:25 Drayth

Let me add that hardware wise you'll want a card with plenty of VRAM and a wide memory bus. My GTX280 seems to be at the lower end of running current games smoothly. On the plus side the process provides a sort of poor-man's FSAA, so you don't need to crank it up very high. 2X will do you, and anything higher then 4X is really unnecessary. Having it off almost looks as good as 2X.  

11. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 16:24 born2expire

Drayth wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 16:17:

I despise 3D movies (still poor gimmick to me), would I like 3D vision? I mostly play RPG's and MP FPS games.

10. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 16:17 Drayth

I've used stereo 3-d in the past when I had a CRT that could do 120hz. When that monitor died the flat pannel era had kicked in so I had to ditch 3D till now. It was tough switching back to pure 2D. I had run through Half-Life and Alice in stereo, those where some awesome experiences.

I don't know why some people are so adverse to it, and others aren't. I guess it comes down to taste, and how comfortable you are with the whole deal. I'll say these new nvidia shutter glasses, I can set the 3-D settings way higher then I used to.

Also if you see this being demo'ed in a store, they usually have the 3-D depth turned down to the minimum. It's easier on the eyes for those who haven't used it before, but it's not as impressive as you can make things look at home. Takes a bit of tweaking of depth and convergence, but you can make the 3-D effect very dramatic.

I got the new LG 1920x1080 monitor and the NVIDIA vision kit. Just having a 120hz monitor alone is a nice upgrade. Everything's much more fluid, even just moving windows around on the desktop. Pays off for all games that don't even run in stereo.

9. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 16:14 Wolfen

Frijoles wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 15:44:
Quboid wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 15:38:
What hardware do you have? What monitors, cards, glasses do you have?

^-- we need details. Last I heard, 3D was a gimmick. You two above sound impressed with it though.

Some think its a gimmick, some think its awesome. I mean its really a matter of personal taste ya?

Me, I try to play anything I can in 3d where its not a pain. Like RTS's and over head type games dont do so well for my taste. How ever there are others who will love to play that way. I must say that most Unreal 3 games look incredible and Im just talking about the cheap old way of doing it. I get color balance issues. For example in Borderlands, I cant really play it because of the color values of weapons. Orange is Green, and Green is Green. So they all look the same to me.

So using different tech such as Nvidias main seller of 3d Vision, you get the benefit of no color loss. Still obviously be problems here and there such as ghosting. Like bright white light shaders dont do well in dark areas. Youll see 4 lights instead of 2 and so on.

Ive used the Edimensional glasses in the past. I have also used something that was called 3d Spex way back in quake 1 and descent days. I betad there quake drivers back then.

Me. I love it. Even if I use the cheap... pretty much free way.

8. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 15:44 Frijoles

Quboid wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 15:38:

^-- we need details. Last I heard, 3D was a gimmick. You two above sound impressed with it though.

7. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 15:38 Quboid

Drayth wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 14:11:
I just got my 3D vision setup going last week...

- Quboid

6. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 15:02 Wolfen

Drayth wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 14:32:
Mine where there, though the 3-D portion was fuzzy for some till I had my convergence set up.

Huh wonder if it was fixed. Though I also wonder if its the difference between the actual 3d vision and vision discovery (the anaglyphs). I use the red / cyan stuff. Cant afford super monitors and goggles hehe.

5. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 14:32 Drayth

Mine where there, though the 3-D portion was fuzzy for some till I had my convergence set up.  

4. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 14:23 Wolfen

Drayth wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 14:11:
I just got my 3D vision setup going last week, and there I was hitting CTRL-T with Knights of the Old Republic booted up wondering why nothing was happening -_-

Forgot all about that being OpenGL. They even have it listed as "Excellent" in the 3D Vision compatibility chart.. bastards.

My god though.. Dragon Age and Mass Effect are amazing in 3D.

Did they fix the missing portraits in Dragon Age in 3d Vision mode?

3. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 14:11 Drayth

I just got my 3D vision setup going last week, and there I was hitting CTRL-T with Knights of the Old Republic booted up wondering why nothing was happening -_-

Forgot all about that being OpenGL. They even have it listed as "Excellent" in the 3D Vision compatibility chart.. bastards.

My god though.. Dragon Age and Mass Effect are amazing in 3D.

2. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 13:03 Rhialto

Not another simple beta, lots of changes.

FULL details at: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=180591

My favorite: Adds NVIDIA 3D Vision streaming support for Firefox 4 and Google Chrome web browsers.

1. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Sep 14, 2010, 11:54 Wolfen

Man, I wish theyd put OpenGL support for the 3d stereo in. Driving me nuts not being able to play all these id games in stereoscopic 3d lol.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo