Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Neverwinter Interview

The Neverwinter Interview on GameBanshee chats about the upcoming Neverwinter D&D RPG with Cryptic Studios CEO Jack Emmert and PR manager Ivan Sulic. Topics include how long they've been working on the game, what happened to the "nights" in the title, their emphasis on party play, the lack of offline play, how grouping will work, their adherence to D&D rules, and more.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 15, 2010, 11:13 sauron

I always used to play first edition AD&D, still have the rule books downstairs.

Hmm, I should probably check if they're worth something these days - bought them new back in 1981.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 15, 2010, 10:17 Aganazer

InBlack wrote on Sep 15, 2010, 09:36:
Two words. D&D online. That game would rock with 3.0 or 3.5 rules.

Oh, and as far as the pen and paper game, Ive read the rulebooks (gasp!!). And obviously now that the 3.5 edition is out of print, people have to go to extreme lengths and expenses to get them. So your comment about enjoying 3.5 is at least partly false...

LOL! D&D Online isn't 4.0! It never was and never will be. Its a real-time bastardization of 3.5.

And I sure as hell hope you read the rulebooks for 4.0 and 3.5 if you're gonna go on about which one is better!

If you really want to play 3.5 you can. There are also a ton of free adventures available on the internet.

And I'm not attacking you. All I am saying is that if you don't like 4.0 then you can play 3.5 just fine. Don't you think we should reserve judgment on the 4.0 video games until we've actually seen one?

17. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 15, 2010, 09:36 InBlack

Two words. D&D online. That game would rock with 3.0 or 3.5 rules.

Oh, and as far as the pen and paper game, Ive read the rulebooks (gasp!!). And obviously now that the 3.5 edition is out of print, people have to go to extreme lengths and expenses to get them. So your comment about enjoying 3.5 is at least partly false...

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2010, 09:43.

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 15, 2010, 08:52 Aganazer

InBlack wrote on Sep 15, 2010, 04:39:
Its still misdirected because I was talking in the context of LICENCED D&D games which includes PC games, not the Pen & Paper roleplaying game. All the licenced games are d&d 4.0 and yes this PREVENTS me from enjoying them. This is plain for anyone with comprehension skills since my original post is about 5 sentences long.

What licensed D&D games that aren't P&P RPG's were you referring to when you said "D&D 4.0 is a joke...."? I don't think there are any non-P&P games made with D&D 4.0 yet, which leaves only one thing, that you were talking about the P&P game. There are a TON of people that have chosen to skip 4.0 and continue playing 3.5. There is nothing that prevents you from continuing to enjoy what you obviously prefer.

Talking about logical fallacies, if you've never tried any non-P&P D&D 4.0 game then how the hell would you know its a joke?

15. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 15, 2010, 04:39 InBlack

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 16:46:
And now back to the topic at hand...

InBlack wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 10:57:
D&D 4.0 is a joke....
I think the sarcasm was directed at the part that came after that line.

Its still misdirected because I was talking in the context of LICENCED D&D games which includes PC games, not the Pen & Paper roleplaying game. All the licenced games are d&d 4.0 and yes this PREVENTS me from enjoying them. This is plain for anyone with comprehension skills since my original post is about 5 sentences long.

14. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 14, 2010, 20:55 w34sl3

This is kind of sad to see as the first Neverwinter Nights was a blast and yes I played it mostly single player. Has anything made by Cryptic Studios really been triple A yet? If I were looking for someone to make a game for me, I dont think they would be on my list. Nothing they have done has really been stellar. I dont really blame them for StarTrek, They got handed a half finished game and then were asked to hit a deadline. I would have respected them more if they would have turned it down.

So really after hearing they are making the new game, I dont have much hope for it. I will still be watching, but I wont be holding my breath.

13. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 14, 2010, 18:20 Silicon Avatar

D&D 4 hate? Penny Arcade covered this already.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/8/23/

12. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 14, 2010, 17:11 StingingVelvet

Unless they drop the bullshit online only thing I won't be playing this. Tons of people, probably most people, played Neverwinter Nights solo.  

11. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 14, 2010, 16:46 Wowbagger_TIP

D&D 4.0 is a joke....
I think the sarcasm was directed at the part that came after that line.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

10. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 14, 2010, 16:34 JoeNapalm

Aganazer wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 15:49:
JoeNapalm wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 15:38:
Wait...I can never keep this straight...is that a Straw Man argument, or Ad Hominem?

Neither, its 'sarcasm'. There really isn't any debate about the fact that you can still play 3.5 whenever you want.

My point exactly. No one ever suggested that, and it's totally irrelevant.

You are putting forth a false statement in representation of our stated opinion, then refuting the false statement. That's a Straw Man argument. It's illogical and fallacious, and successfully derailed the original conversation, so you probably have a grand future in politics and/or marketing.

D&D 4.0 is a joke....

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2010, 16:39.

9. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 14, 2010, 15:49 Aganazer

JoeNapalm wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 15:38:
Wait...I can never keep this straight...is that a Straw Man argument, or Ad Hominem?

Neither, its 'sarcasm'. There really isn't any debate about the fact that you can still play 3.5 whenever you want.

8. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 14, 2010, 15:38 JoeNapalm

Aganazer wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 15:24:
Wow guys, I didn't know that WotC forced you all to burn your 3.5 rulebooks and banned you from playing 3.5 ever again. That would make me mad to.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

7. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 14, 2010, 15:24 Aganazer

Wow guys, I didn't know that WotC forced you all to burn your 3.5 rulebooks and banned you from playing 3.5 ever again. That would make me mad to.

As for Neverwinter, I'll care once I try the beta. Until then my expectation are pegged to zero.

6. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 14, 2010, 14:50 JoeNapalm

When I try to put together a coherent dialog on my feelings regarding 4e, all I can come up with is this:

"*KA-CLICK* Get off my lawn."

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

5. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 14, 2010, 14:08 space captain

the pen and paper 4th edition D&D is practically a video game already - its all about tactical combat, and every class has a bunch of powers and "healing surges", etc.

it almost seems like they tried to make a pen and paper MMORPG type experience

so - it will be interesting to see how people react to the new version when it actually is a video game

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 14, 2010, 13:58 MoreLuckThanSkill

Deja vu... wasn't this article already posted once on Bluesnews?

Online only even for single player, only 5 classes at release(assuming we will have to pay for DLCs for more classes), etc etc, sounding less than stellar.

3. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 14, 2010, 12:48 Drayth

Dragon Age went into development shortly after Neverwinter 1 was released. DND 4 was a ways off yet. Though I think I faintly remember mention of working with Wizards of the Coast to be a pain in the ass.  

2. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 14, 2010, 11:36 HugeJerk

I don't think Obsidian has any involvement with the Cryptic Studios game. Did you mean Atari?  

1. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 14, 2010, 10:57 InBlack

D&D 4.0 is a joke....

Wizards of the Coast completely screwed themselves up with 4.0. Instead of sticking with the best of both worlds (casual vs hardcore) rules of 3.5 they HAD to release 4.0 and not only screw their own hardcore roleplaying fans but screw up the gameplay of pretty much every licenced D&D game.

I suspect Bioware partly went with their own "Dragon Age IP" route (Instead of Baldur's Gate 3) because of the horrid ruleset of 4.0

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo