Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Wallet Beta

Steam Wallet is a new service Valve is beta testing to offer an alternate method of paying for games on the Steam service. As the name implies, the service allows you to store funds in a Steam-specific account instead of keeping your cash stuffed in the mattress.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 08:18 PHJF

I wouldn't be surprised to see steam cards show up in retail establishments

The entire point of Steam is to avoid retail.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 07:44 Freddie

Creston wrote on Sep 13, 2010, 22:59:
This serves absolutely no fucking purpose whatsoever. What kind of benefit does this offer over, say, a credit card? Or Paypal? None.

Coming up next, fucking Steampoints.

Creston

You seem to forget in non-US countries, our steam currencies are still based on the US dollar. Here in Australia, we can pump cash into the wallet when our dollar is strong and buy games later.

17. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 05:04 Prez

Ugh. If Steam moves to "steam points" or some such BS, I might never buy anything except Valve games from it again, and this is coming from a guy whose Steam catalog is currently at 260 games.

Every time I buy a new quest pack from Bioware, I perfect my ability to use the word "Fuck" 8 or more times in a single sentence. Buy them in icrements of 800 or 1600 for things that cost 400 and 700 points. ARGHHHH!!!!!! Furious

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 04:53 Warskull

This serves absolutely no fucking purpose whatsoever. What kind of benefit does this offer over, say, a credit card? Or Paypal? None.

Creston

I expect this is only the first step. I wouldn't be surprised to see steam cards show up in retail establishments allowing those without credit cards or paypal to purchase things, mainly kids. It also is a step towards allowing micropayments in game.

We are also likely to see gifting steam cash directly.

15. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 03:02 Staunch

I'd be interested in this if it gives you the ability to buy more than two copies of a game with the same credit card - currently they flag that in their system and prevent the purchase going through - I've once had my steam account disabled because of it (a support ticket later it was fixed).

I have a few guest accounts that I let my cheap friends log into when I host a LAN party, so I can sometimes buy 4 copies of the same game.

14. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 01:15 cronik

bring it on baby!!!  

13. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 01:02 fujiJuice

I can see this just becoming an endless headache for them, especially when people start hacking accounts and just gifting peoples money away either to themselves or at random.

justice7 wrote on Sep 13, 2010, 22:27:
i'm willing to bet the reason they did this, was to begin selling 'steam cards' in stores.

This is most likely the reason, gift cards are big business, especially since probably half of them get forgotten and never used, just free money for them.

12. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 00:29 Veinman

Dev wrote on Sep 13, 2010, 22:39:
Steam is giving you zero interest.

And that's exactly how much interest I have in the Steam Wallet.

11. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 00:05 Rilcon

The benefit over Paypal is it's not Paypal.

As for over a credit or debit card, no effect on me. I do know some countries / banks have silly rules in regards to their use online. May be this is intended for people to drop, say, 50 euro in bulk one day via a non-instant money transfer, then have that money there to buy whatever instantly some other day.

Or something.

10. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 13, 2010, 23:56 Pigeon

Creston

Steam points is exactly what I was thinking. You know there's an MBA sitting at valve somewhere going, 'this steam thing has been a major success, how can I fuck this up'

9. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 13, 2010, 22:59 Creston

Creston

8. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 13, 2010, 22:44 SM0k3

They got to do better than that, why should I let them hold my hard earned money? I'll pass it's already bad enough I've spent a ton on games stored on their servers without actually having tangible copy of it.  

7. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 13, 2010, 22:39 Dev

dubfanatic wrote on Sep 13, 2010, 21:28:
Halo wrote on Sep 13, 2010, 21:03:
How much interest do we gain for letting them hold our money?

same as a checking account at any major bank
Depends. I have a checking account that gets something like half a percent interest. Steam is giving you zero interest.

6. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 13, 2010, 22:34 007Bistromath

I really hope they're not thinking about making this compulsory. I don't want to put my money in the bucket.  

5. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 13, 2010, 22:27 justice7

i'm willing to bet the reason they did this, was to begin selling 'steam cards' in stores.  

4. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 13, 2010, 22:20 Wolfen

I suspect this would be a good device for gifting as well. Rather then buying your friend a game, you just fill there steam wallet and let them pick what they want. Though, me and my friends never had trouble just asking each other lol.  

3. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 13, 2010, 22:01 Starang

This has to be a joke.  

2. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 13, 2010, 21:28 dubfanatic

Halo wrote on Sep 13, 2010, 21:03:

same as a checking account at any major bank

1. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 13, 2010, 21:03 Halo

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo