Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Wallet Beta

Steam Wallet is a new service Valve is beta testing to offer an alternate method of paying for games on the Steam service. As the name implies, the service allows you to store funds in a Steam-specific account instead of keeping your cash stuffed in the mattress.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 15, 2010, 12:40 DG

zirik wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 22:10:
enjoy your student account. as soon as you join the real world without the benefit or protection of a student account you will see how much banks charge for every friggin little thing that you do with YOUR money.
I left uni ~7 years ago Occasionally a clerk asks me if I'd like to "upgrade", I give a friendly laugh, they smile and say fair enough

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 22:10 zirik

DG wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 13:16:
Seriously, they limit the number of times you can speak to a clerk? WTF?

Though it helps I still have my student account a lot of banks in UK are trying to get people to pay monthly fees now.

yeah, imagine my surprise when i had to change my account from a prima to a regular after my balance went below the limit. i got warned by the teller that i only have two visits to a live teller per month. if i go over the limit there is a fee. and if i do it online there is a fee.

enjoy your student account. as soon as you join the real world without the benefit or protection of a student account you will see how much banks charge for every friggin little thing that you do with YOUR money.

37. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 18:55 xXBatmanXx

No reason to do this on OUR side.
I use paypal - comes directly out of my account.

Now - if I am Steam - I don't want to pay paypal fees - so I do something like Steam Wallet.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

36. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 15:38 Wolfen

DG wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 13:16:
zirik wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 10:31:
if you meet the minimum required balance to get interest checking for both banks they waive ALL fees and include other advantages like free checks, stop payments, unlimited transfers and a safety deposit box. they also give unlimited access to a bank teller every month. without it you are limited to two visits to a local branch every month. its ridiculous but i guess every bank does it to force people to do online banking. wells fargo even charges for paper statements no matter what type of account you have.
Wow you guys get boned. I've never paid a single bank charge. No charge for cheques, bank transfers, cash withdrawals or pay-ins, standing orders, direct debits, nothing - so long as I don't go overdrawn... No charge or interest on my CC either since I pay off the full balance each month.

Though it helps I still have my student account a lot of banks in UK are trying to get people to pay monthly fees now.

Dont get me started on Banks.

35. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 15:00 Dev

Beamer wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 08:20:
Depends. I have a checking account that gets something like half a percent interest. Steam is giving you zero interest.

Seriously? What bank.

Most banks these days are only giving .5% if you have over 100,000 in a savings account. Savings!
Jesus, man, like 5 years ago you could get 4.5% for that and feel ripped off!
Sorry, my bank is at 0.17% in checking and 0.4% interest in savings. I had them switched in my mind.

34. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 14:47 nin

Seems like they are implementing it for future microtransaction projects to me. Test now, use later kind of deal.

Yep, the line "for the purchase of any game on Steam or within a game that supports Steam transactions" jumped out at me...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

33. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 14:17 MattB

Seems like they are implementing it for future microtransaction projects to me. Test now, use later kind of deal.  

32. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 13:42 Dev

Rilcon wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 00:05:
The benefit over Paypal is it's not Paypal.

As for over a credit or debit card, no effect on me. I do know some countries / banks have silly rules in regards to their use online. May be this is intended for people to drop, say, 50 euro in bulk one day via a non-instant money transfer, then have that money there to buy whatever instantly some other day.

Or something.
Yeah I bet you are right, that and selling steam money cards at stores as someone else suggested. Those are the primary reasons I imagine.

31. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 13:16 DG

zirik wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 10:31:
if you meet the minimum required balance to get interest checking for both banks they waive ALL fees and include other advantages like free checks, stop payments, unlimited transfers and a safety deposit box. they also give unlimited access to a bank teller every month. without it you are limited to two visits to a local branch every month. its ridiculous but i guess every bank does it to force people to do online banking. wells fargo even charges for paper statements no matter what type of account you have.
Wow you guys get boned. I've never paid a single bank charge. No charge for cheques, bank transfers, cash withdrawals or pay-ins, standing orders, direct debits, nothing - so long as I don't go overdrawn... No charge or interest on my CC either since I pay off the full balance each month.

30. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 13:09 DG

No complaints here while I can continue to make my purchases using my CC. Features I don't want but don't have to use are just features available for other people so why should I care?

This'll be for store cards, gift vouchers, people who don't have CC. Nothing useful for me there, but probably for other people, especially people who can't get a credit card. Some cards/countries people might get thumped with a charge for buying in $USD, so this lets them have 1 charge instead of lots. Perhaps in future I mind find it convenient for micro-transactions.

Funds added to the Steam Wallet are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Whilst of course it's important to know this, and yes it's a "bad thing", it's no different to a gift card. Holding a refundable balance likely would mean being subject to a raft of regulations - basically because they're being a bank - in every single country where the Wallet feature is available.

'Course my opinion would be rather more caustic if they took away the regular payment option...

ps. I have savings at 2.85% here in UK, though I keep an eye on moneysavingexpert.com which tracks good rates. Still about half inflation though

29. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 10:31 zirik

Beamer wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 09:19:
Most banks do, but usually their money market checking is something like .1-.2%, and often has fees that eats all the interest (which is hysterical, I might add!)

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2010, 10:47.

28. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 10:30 zirik

i hate double post.  

27. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 10:29 JoeNapalm

If nothing else, it looks you like you have to buy in nice round numbers...

...yet Steam games are never priced that way.

So either you buy exactly 100 games to break even (that's a lot of games, really) or they get free money. I mean, come on...you don't think they take the buy in money and put it in an account just for you, do you? No, they mark down an IOU and take your cash and mark it down on your tab.

Think about it - they make money on every game they sell. If you pay them ahead of time, they make that money, plus whatever you can't get at because of the rounding thing, and they get it NOW, rather than when you get around to spending it on the next Steam sale.

It's sort of brilliant, as long as people are dumb enough. Betting on people being dumb is pretty safe, really.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

26. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 09:19 Beamer

wells fargo and bank of america still does the interest gain on certain types of checking accounts.

Most banks do, but usually their money market checking is something like .1-.2%, and often has fees that eats all the interest (which is hysterical, I might add!)

Oh yeah, here's BoAs, haha:
Advantage« with Tiered Interest Checking Interest Rate APY 1
Less than $10,000 0.05% 0.05%
$10,000 - $99,999 0.10% 0.10%
$100,000 and over 0.15% 0.15%

Seriously. .15%.
Hell, the regular savings is only. .05%, and this is their top-end savings:
Standard With Bonus Rate
Rate APYć Rate APYć
Less than $5,000 0.15 0.15 0.40 0.40
$5,000 - $9,999 0.15 0.15 0.40 0.40
$10,000 - $24,999 0.35 0.35 0.60 0.60
$25,000 - $49,999 0.35 0.35 0.60 0.60
$50,000 - $99,999 0.50 0.50 0.75 0.75
$100,000 - $499,999 0.55 0.55 0.80 0.80
$500,000 - $2,499,999 0.55 0.55 0.80 0.80
$2,500,000 and over 0.55 0.55 0.80 0.80

Yet my federal student loans are 6.5-8.5%. We're all vaguely screwed.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 08:41 SpectralMeat

The entire point of Steam is to avoid retail.

Then what is the point of the Steam Wallet?
I thought they introduce this so that the younger ones or people without any credit cards or Paypal accounts can still purchase games from Steam. If they sell prepaid cards in retail stores you buy those with cash and add money to your account on Steam, kind of like how Sony prepaid cards or Itunes cards or any other Online only store retail cards work.

Steam: SpectralMeat

24. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 08:39 Verno

PHJF wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 08:18:
I wouldn't be surprised to see steam cards show up in retail establishments

A lot of people don't have credit cards, usually due to age. Those retail cards are useful for the 17 and under market. Regardless, if they try to force Steam Wallet on me then I'll stop using Steam. Buying things on Xbox Live was a miserable experience due to the whole points bullshit.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

23. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 08:37 zirik

PHJF wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 08:18:
I wouldn't be surprised to see steam cards show up in retail establishments

maybe they are preparing a retail presence with steamcards. its impossible to ignore the potential to make money from steamcards once they introduce micro transactions to their games.

22. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 08:36 Kajetan

Prez wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 05:04:

Every time I buy a new quest pack from Bioware, I perfect my ability to use the word "Fuck" 8 or more times in a single sentence. Buy them in icrements of 800 or 1600 for things that cost 400 and 700 points. ARGHHHH!!!!!! Furious
Why do you still buy them? No pity from me

21. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 08:31 zirik

Beamer wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 08:20:
Depends. I have a checking account that gets something like half a percent interest. Steam is giving you zero interest.

Seriously? What bank.

wells fargo and bank of america still does the interest gain on certain types of checking accounts. although you have to maintain a minimum balance. wells fargo has a high minimum requirement. 30k combined checking and savings to be exact. bank of america only requires 10k. but i think bofa stopped offering their prima accounts to new members after obama's banking reform became law. ING direct offers interest for their online checking account. but they dont have the convenience of having a local branch you can walk into. everything is done online or over the phone.

20. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 08:20 Beamer

Seriously? What bank.

Most banks these days are only giving .5% if you have over 100,000 in a savings account. Savings!
Jesus, man, like 5 years ago you could get 4.5% for that and feel ripped off!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo