Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free

The free-to-play era for The Lord of the Rings Online begins today, offering the chance to cut some costs of your gaming hobbit. This page outlines the game's business model, showing what you get for free, and the benefits of upgrading to a Premium or VIP account, and saying that free players can get started without using a credit card. Word is: "Earn free Turbine Points as you adventure in the massive world of Middle-earth, and spend them in the LOTRO Store to access hundreds of items, expansion packs, premium content, character customization, and more! And you may also purchase Turbine Points in the LOTRO Store whenever you choose. The legend is yours, and the adventure is free!"

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 17, 2010, 08:57 Bhruic

Pando Media Booster - still installed when I grabbed the client a few days ago. I can't see that it's actually running anywhere, at least, not when I'm not playing LotRO. And for the record, there was a warning that it was being installed, which I actually caught, and I normally just click-through those sort of notices.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 15, 2010, 20:26 TorchMaster

Word of warning. When you install the game it also installs Panda Media Booster

PBM used to be automatically installed, but I'm pretty sure they did away with it two months ago and it is no longer installed.

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

34. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 12, 2010, 10:58 Verno

Krovven wrote on Sep 12, 2010, 04:04:
Word of warning. When you install the game it also installs Panda Media Booster, which was throttling my internet connection and making any online game unplayable, ie: upwards of 1000 ping.

Friend had the same problem, as he was getting 500+ ping in Bad Company 2 today and couldnt figure out why. We had both installed LoTRO today and Turbine had installed PBM behind the scenes.

Uninstalling PBM immediately fixed the problem.

Wow, free or not, that's really bullshit that they install it without your consent considering how much upstream bandwidth it uses.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

33. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 12, 2010, 08:48 Ant

Krovven wrote on Sep 12, 2010, 04:04:
Word of warning. When you install the game it also installs Panda Media Booster, which was throttling my internet connection and making any online game unplayable, ie: upwards of 1000 ping.

Friend had the same problem, as he was getting 500+ ping in Bad Company 2 today and couldnt figure out why. We had both installed LoTRO today and Turbine had installed PBM behind the scenes.

Is PBM required for LOTORO? If it is, then can it be controlled/configured?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

32. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 12, 2010, 04:04 Krovven

31. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 12, 2010, 03:28 Klaus

Ant wrote on Sep 11, 2010, 15:42:
StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 11, 2010, 15:36:
PHJF wrote on Sep 11, 2010, 08:32:
Worst part of the game is the combat, which is just... very bland and boring.
Oh God why did I download this.

Where did you get this? Combat is the best of any MMO I have played.

Every class is really different. The warden for example plays like Street Fighter: You have only 3 skills and have to string them together to form sequences and combos. The loremaster on the other hand has like 30 buttons that do completely different things (all slow) and has to make hard choices.

Since crowd control and buffing/debuffing is more important, every time you group with people the dynamics change: A group with several hunters has to use different strategies than a group of champions and minstrels.(In games like WoW combat is always the same except for scripted bosses)

Yes, you can do without a tank or without a healer, or in a all-tank group. On my server there are all-burglar-raids that have downed all raid bosses.

30. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 18:35 Ant

sauron wrote on Sep 11, 2010, 18:31:
PHJF wrote on Sep 11, 2010, 17:57:
The LotRo audience is older, more mature and way friendlier.

That's true.

Yeah, it is. So far I've seen none of the 13 year-old 'lolbbqxxSephirothxx' or 'LagolasXLlol' crowd. Those are annoying in WoW and even in FFXI. It's like someone sawed up a 2 by 4 and put it where their head should be.

Lotro seems populated by actual people... aside from the orcs and uruk-hai etc. Uh, and your resident Dark Lord.
Interesting, but that might change when this gone free now.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

29. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 18:31 sauron

PHJF wrote on Sep 11, 2010, 17:57:

That's true.

Yeah, it is. So far I've seen none of the 13 year-old 'lolbbqxxSephirothxx' or 'LagolasXLlol' crowd. Those are annoying in WoW and even in FFXI. It's like someone sawed up a 2 by 4 and put it where their head should be.

Lotro seems populated by actual people... aside from the orcs and uruk-hai etc. Uh, and your resident Dark Lord.

Kittens!

28. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 17:57 PHJF

That's true.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

27. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 17:18 StingingVelvet

I played the opening thing for the horse people and it was alright. Combat was terrible and the standard MMO text story was there. I did like the cinematic moment with the horse demon guy though, that was well done, though the lack of voice acting kind of ruined it.

Now I am in some town and the old MMO vibe is everywhere...

26. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 16:19 Ant

Verno wrote on Sep 11, 2010, 10:09:
If you find the combat boring though, play a Burglar. They have a wide variety of skills available and are quite fun. The only MMO to ever really nail what a Rogue should play like imho.
Does that role play like in Thief games?

25. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 15:59 Creston

Definitely giving this a try somewhere this week.

Thanks for the Burglar recommendation, Verno. I love playing burglars / thieves.

Creston

24. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 15:42 Ant

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 11, 2010, 15:36:
There are a lot of (fully instanced) quests applicable to a main story line, but aside from that... it's a 100% run-of-the-mill MMORPG. Worst part of the game is the combat, which is just... very bland and boring.

Dang, that sucks. I love combat! I guess I won't bother to retry it. I do recall not doing much combats in early betas a few years ago. I guess the game hasn't changed much then!

23. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 15:36 StingingVelvet

There are a lot of (fully instanced) quests applicable to a main story line, but aside from that... it's a 100% run-of-the-mill MMORPG. Worst part of the game is the combat, which is just... very bland and boring.

22. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 10:22 Klaus

peteham wrote on Sep 11, 2010, 08:30:
How will this be compared to, say, WoW?

I like my L80 Tauren Shaman and my L65 Hobbits (Minstrel & Guardian) equally.

Azeroth has more wackyness and variety, Middle Earth - being bound by the lore - has many limitations (no flying mounts) but feels more cohesive and like an actual place.

LotRo:
The epic story is, well, epic. You are important in Middle Earth and you are doing and witnessing Big Things. Love and death and betrayal and redemption. You should at least have seen the movies though, better have read the books, ideally have taken some classes in Sindarin and Quenya. The Turbine guys are hardcore Tolkien nerds.

End-game content is intense, but it's slowly shifting from being all about skill to being more about item quality like WoW. Group sizes tend to be smaller than in WoW. End game instances come in group sizes 24, 12, 6 and even 3.

PvP sucks.

The LotRo audience is older, more mature and way friendlier. The global channels (both in-character and ooc) alone are worth the subscription. Great fun. Might change with F2P though.

Combat gets really challenging once you reach higher levels. Tanking is way harder than in WoW, crowd control is more important and you can't win by DPS alone.

If you turn off the chat channels, don't read the quest texts, don't group and don't raid, then LotRo is less fun than WoW, because WoW got many really cool quest mechanics with Lich King (ride on the dragon, control the giant Frankenstein monster, man the cannon etc.) and LotRo has fallen behind in that department.

In the end both games are solid, mature MMOs.
And both are equally dangerous.

21. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 10:09 Verno

There are a lot of (fully instanced) quests applicable to a main story line, but aside from that... it's a 100% run-of-the-mill MMORPG. Worst part of the game is the combat, which is just... very bland and boring. Adhering mostly to Tolkien lore meant they couldn't have a bunch of fantastical characters whipping fireballs around or anything.

It's also a dreadfully small world. Middle Earth is a sprawling place but you don't get to see much of it.

Yeah even with the graphics upgrades too people need to bear in mind that this is an old MMO. It is very run of mill, collect 20 X and bring it to Y type MMO. The story driven instanced quests are the only real innovation. It's not a bad game by any means but it is fairly generic.

If you find the combat boring though, play a Burglar. They have a wide variety of skills available and are quite fun. The only MMO to ever really nail what a Rogue should play like imho.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

20. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 08:32 PHJF

There are a lot of (fully instanced) quests applicable to a main story line, but aside from that... it's a 100% run-of-the-mill MMORPG. Worst part of the game is the combat, which is just... very bland and boring. Adhering mostly to Tolkien lore meant they couldn't have a bunch of fantastical characters whipping fireballs around or anything.

It's also a dreadfully small world. Middle Earth is a sprawling place but you don't get to see much of it.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 08:30 peteham

Esoteric wrote on Sep 11, 2010, 05:58:
It is story-driven, and/but you do have to read the quest text to appreciate it. There is a tutorial zone that you'll be in until 6-7, so keep that in mind.
How will this be compared to, say, WoW? Will I be able to bring a few friends and go on a co-op romp through middle-earth without grinding, while seeing new places/enemies at a steady clip? And is the story actually any good (i.e. do you feel like you're doing something of importance rather than being a delivery boy)? I don't mind if the story is entirely in textual form as long as it's well-written and cohesive, but if I risk spending the majority of my time fetching wolf-pelts, grinding for gold, or fighting level 5 turtles, level 15 turtles, level 50 turtles, level 80 turtles..... Eeeh. I'll pass

18. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 05:58 Esoteric

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 11, 2010, 05:46:
I just set this to download while I sleep and I have no idea why, I hate MMOs and I didn't even like the Lord of the Rings movies or books. Hell, I didn't even like the Hobbit cartoon when I was a kid. Trying a free game is one hell of a temptation I guess is what I am getting at.

If this is a soulless game about collecting 10 rabbit skins without any kind of driving narrative though I'll uninstall it in 10 minutes like I did WoW, Champions and all the rest. I'm sure it will be.

It is story-driven, and/but you do have to read the quest text to appreciate it. There is a tutorial zone that you'll be in until 6-7, so keep that in mind.

17. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 05:46 StingingVelvet

I just set this to download while I sleep and I have no idea why, I hate MMOs and I didn't even like the Lord of the Rings movies or books. Hell, I didn't even like the Hobbit cartoon when I was a kid. Trying a free game is one hell of a temptation I guess is what I am getting at.

If this is a soulless game about collecting 10 rabbit skins without any kind of driving narrative though I'll uninstall it in 10 minutes like I did WoW, Champions and all the rest. I'm sure it will be.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo