Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is the anniversary of the first drunk driving arrest in world history. The surprising part is that this took place in 1897! That article has a history of the laws against driving under the influence, but in spite of ever-increasing awareness of the dangers of impaired driving, they offer a (hopefully) sobering statistic: "In 2005, 16,885 people died in alcohol-related crashes and almost 1.4 million people were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs." Pretty scary.

Sobering Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Hanger.
BlocKage.
Epic Battle Fantasy 3.
Link: How to succeed in comics: Why Stan is 'The Man'. Thanks scorcese.fan.
Story: ‘Office’ plan- How NBC will tackle replacing Carell.
Science: Supernova shrapnel slammed into meteorite.
Brain Scans Can Predict How You'll React to a Movie Scene.
Mars drops hints of an active past involving water.
Images: Soviet Arcade Machines. Thanks BB. Machine plays you!
Media: The Matrix meets The Big Lebowski. NSFW.
Stop Motion Pac-Man.
Cartoon Bears are Still Bears. NSFW.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2010, 09:41 xXBatmanXx

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 10, 2010, 18:57:
I found HULU to be completely worthless.

Why's that?

There isn't much there.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2010, 00:39 MrBone

Yet you have CNN and MSNBC blabbing about deaths in wartime. 18,000 in one year due to stupid punks. Ignorance reigns supreme.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2010, 23:37 Verno

PHJF wrote on Sep 10, 2010, 16:58:
What would you rather do, toss them all in jail? And it isn't as simple as "take their license away." Most Americans (suburban, rural) don't have the benefit of metro rail or bus. If you take away their license you're breaking their legs.

If a mind-altering substance like alcohol wasn't so ubiquitous there wouldn't be a problem in the first place. People should find vices less problematic for society, or at least drink at home. Why people insist on spending Friday after Friday downing $8 cocktails is beyond me.

I know it's heresy to most Americans but this is why I love the Canadian system of government controlled liquor distribution. In Canada they have the LCBO and Beer stores that basically do the vast majority of liquor and spirits distro. Wineries and so on can get their own licenses to serve alcohol. The stores don't ususally stay open past 8 or 9pm IIRC and they aren't so ubiquitous that you can find one wherever you go. I've lived in both countries and just the fact that Irresponsible Idiot #1 can't score booze whenever he wants has saved some lives. Particularly with the more serious drinkers who will drink up then go out to buy more booze later at night. In America its harder to find places that don't have alcohol than those with it.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2010, 21:09 Fang

Someday, we'll have self-driving cars and we'll think back to the days when impaired drivers killed people and think it's nuts.

But I'm not holding my breath for it.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2010, 19:03 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 10, 2010, 18:57:

Why's that?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2010, 18:57 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2010, 18:52 Sepharo

Was linked to this article through the story about "The Office".

What the fuck is this guy babbling about? He doesn't seem to have any overall point to his "argument". His plan for online viewing is nearly what we already have.

I'll assume because of the quotation marks that these are his complete thoughts and he's not being misrepresented.

Look, I'm not naive; I understand why big media backed Hulu -- to stave off piracy and to gain some control in the online space -- but I don't believe Hulu's upside outweighs the potentially disastrous long-term effects. Network TV has some distinct advantages over the music and newspaper industries. Sharing a few songs from an album requires very little bandwidth. News is available from a wide variety of sources. But at the risk of sounding like a pompous ass, nobody but a show's creator and producers is capable of delivering that particular show.

What does any of the mean? Where was the disastrous side effects? Where was the point?

I acknowledge that Hulu's easy accessibility probably keeps some people from pirating. But a respected industry analyst says less than 5% of TV content is being stolen today. Even if that number quadruples as broadband speeds improve, that means 75% of the audience will still be perfectly happy with the present model. And, to quote that analyst, "The logic of 'I'm having trouble getting paid for my content, so let me give it away for free' probably drives Wall Street to allocate capital to other industries."

If people are happy with the current model then what are you worried about again?

The iPhone and iPad are very successful, but, with all due respect to the prophetic Steve Jobs, I don't see Apple giving them away. It's very simple. Shows like "30 Rock" and "Lost" and "The Office" are expensive to produce. Plus these "hits" cover the costs of all the misses. If viewers want to continue to see quality content like that, then we have to find a way to keep it profitable. Otherwise, we'll all be watching clips of a sneezing panda -- which, by the way, were adorable.

Once again is there a point here? What does the iPhone and iPad have to do with this? You sell your show to the network and the network sells ads to play while your show is on... How is this any different online?

Apparently the difference is "How much money am I getting paid?" and if that is the core issue (which it is despite all this nonsense in the interview) then that is something you take up with the network. Not your customers who want accessibility.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2010, 18:44 xXBatmanXx

hat would you rather do, toss them all in jail? And it isn't as simple as "take their license away." Most Americans (suburban, rural) don't have the benefit of metro rail or bus. If you take away their license you're breaking their legs.

Take their car away like the court is supposed to and fine them like they are supposed to. A week in jail + alcosensor would also be a good idea......

8. Re: Soviet Arcade Sep 10, 2010, 18:27 Sepharo

You can't even enter Canada anymore if you have U.S. DWI, they will turn you around at the border.

Michigan is pretty strict with DWI, $6,000 in fines and court costs and license suspension. BAC is 0.08%

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2010, 16:58 PHJF

What would you rather do, toss them all in jail? And it isn't as simple as "take their license away." Most Americans (suburban, rural) don't have the benefit of metro rail or bus. If you take away their license you're breaking their legs.

If a mind-altering substance like alcohol wasn't so ubiquitous there wouldn't be a problem in the first place. People should find vices less problematic for society, or at least drink at home. Why people insist on spending Friday after Friday downing $8 cocktails is beyond me.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2010, 16:13 xXBatmanXx

I am noticing that we are arresting less people every year here in Minnesota. The thought would be that less people are drinking and driving - but I don't think that is the case....they are just getting better with their routes home.

Even though that is the case, and there is a HUGE push to enforce the laws - the penalties are laughable at best. The courts will just downgrade whatever the penalty is and usually even just throw out the DWI charge altogether unless the person pleads guilty for some weird reason. Our courts are so over saturated with all sorts of cases that they just push people through with minimal punishment.

Then people get killed and there is a story in the paper 1-2x a week about so and so who was killed by a guy who has had 10 or so DWI arrests with little to no court enforcement/penalty.

Like most things - I blame the courts.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2010, 13:55 Cutter

Good game last night. Saints looked real good. It was impressive how Brees just marchecd it up the field with authority on the opening play. Brett on the other hand, not looking so good. I know he's still dealing with his ankle, but the guy barely passed the entire game. Watching them grind out those running plays was painful to watch. Can hardly wait for Sunday!  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2010, 13:21 Verno

This has just been my experiences from traveling in North America and Mexico.

It's a lot more laid back in America, you have to do quite a bit to lose your license because they're quite happy to tack on fines for ages. In the southern states especially I've found it to be fairly lax.

In Canada its very strict, Ontario's recent legislature changes have basically made it illegal to drive after having 2 or more beers, I forget the exact number but its quite low on the breathalyzer. The fines and penalties are quite hefty, your insurance will skyrocket and you can lose your license on the first offense if its serious enough.

In Mexico there is basically no enforcement whatsoever outside of tourist areas like Cancun, its a joke. I doubt there are any serious repercussions that you couldn't bribe your way out of either. I love Mexico but its a very backwards country in many ways.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

3. Re: Soviet Arcade Sep 10, 2010, 13:07 DG

What's the general social perception of drink driving in the US? Here in UK for most people it'd be a major faux pas and people are highly likely to remind you you're driving if you order 1 beer.

Penalty is serious too, 1 year automatic ban plus up to £5k fine and/or 6m in the clink. For a first offence.

(Of course there's always the "other people", and people do get caught out the morning after)

2. Soviet Arcade Sep 10, 2010, 12:01 Jim

That Soviet arcade is pretty cool. It reminds me of a lot of the games we used to have at Spring Lake.  
Jim

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2010, 10:17 InBlack

....and thats just in the US.  

I have a nifty blue line!

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo