Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Minecraft Dev Starting Studio

The Word of Notch, the blog of Minecraft developer Markus Persson, has some reflections on his recent foray to Bellevue, WA to meet with Valve. While he speaks of how promising the visit was, he also explains his next move will be to start a proper studio and begin development on another game: "Or, rather, a close friend and I will be starting up a new company together. That company will continue to develop Minecraft. I will be the main developer, and I will keep working on it just as I have now, but there will be people supporting me, such as an artist, a web site developer and a business guy to help sort out all deals and make sure that things like the Creeper plushies actually happens [sic]. My friend (name withheld for a while for office political reasons) will lead development of a game idea he and I have talked about for a few years. It will be developed in parallel with Minecraft, and has a fairly different style both in visuals and gameplay. Everyone working at the company will be involved in both projects to some degree." Thanks Big Download.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Minecraft Dev Starting Studio Sep 9, 2010, 10:30 JoeNapalm

Dev wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 01:38:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 01:03:
Awww, so I've been lying to people for the past week when I tell them that Valve hired him?

I just thought it was inevitable so it wouldn't hurt to embellish a bit.
I seem to remember some interview or blog a week ago where he said they just wanted to chew the fat with him, I got the impression that valve has money coming out their ears.

Uh, the guys who set up Valve are dudes who retired from MS at like 30 with more money they knew what to do with...so they started Valve and made even MORE money.

So, yes, they have a lot of money...but that's not exactly a new development. Valve is just a hobby for them.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Minecraft Dev Starting Studio Sep 9, 2010, 10:28 sauron

sir wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 08:40:
Since he seems intent on going it alone (well, starting his own studio at least) I would suggest that money isn't his sole motivation, as Valve probably offered him a mint, with the bitter pill being that he no longer controlled the creative direction and was part of a larger team a la Narbacular Drop's transmogrification into Portal. A shame really, as Portal was a massive improvement on ND - let's hope he can make a similar improvement by recruiting more to the cause.

I doubt he's going it completely alone and am guessing the conversation went something like:

Valve: "We love your idea and think it could be great for you and us too. You can either come work for us and we'll develop it in-house, or if you prefer we'll provide venture capital for you to start your own studio, in return for a cut of profits and first option on publication and distribution".

Minecraft 2 developer: "Option 2 sounds great, let's get started."

Valve: "Excellent, we have tons of experience growing a small studio, this is what you're gonna need..."

Good for both parties and Valve gets distribution option on another great IP.

Kittens!

7. Re: Minecraft Dev Starting Studio Sep 9, 2010, 08:40 sir

Kajetan wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 01:45:
I seem to remember some interview or blog a week ago where he said they just wanted to chew the fat with him, I got the impression that valve has money coming out their ears.
Hmmm, money kills creativity. Hopefully, he doesn't become lazy. Hopefully, money doesn't corrupt him.

Since he seems intent on going it alone (well, starting his own studio at least) I would suggest that money isn't his sole motivation, as Valve probably offered him a mint, with the bitter pill being that he no longer controlled the creative direction and was part of a larger team a la Narbacular Drop's transmogrification into Portal. A shame really, as Portal was a massive improvement on ND - let's hope he can make a similar improvement by recruiting more to the cause.

6. Re: Minecraft Dev Starting Studio Sep 9, 2010, 01:45 Kajetan

Hmmm, money kills creativity. Hopefully, he doesn't become lazy. Hopefully, money doesn't corrupt him.

5. Re: Minecraft Dev Starting Studio Sep 9, 2010, 01:38 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 01:03:
Awww, so I've been lying to people for the past week when I tell them that Valve hired him?

4. Re: Minecraft Dev Starting Studio Sep 9, 2010, 01:03 Sepharo

3. Re: Minecraft Dev Starting Studio Sep 9, 2010, 00:29 Sty

Good for them. My kids and I are enjoying the hell out of Minecraft. Well deserved success. Best of luck!  

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

2. Re: Minecraft Dev Starting Studio Sep 8, 2010, 23:52 Dev

They have something like $1 million now from minecraft (120k people paid, and its about 10 euros). I just hope they don't shoot through that million trying to start up a studio and then have to close because they don't have any money. They are talking 4 or so people being hired plus an office. Be frugal guys. Make that money last and keep some in the bank. And remember, cash is king.

I have an ulterior motive in wanting them to succeed, I paid for minecraft and I want to see it improve

1. Re: Minecraft Dev Starting Studio Sep 8, 2010, 23:44 Frijoles

Here's to wishing them all the best of luck.  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo