Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor

Disbarred lawyer Jack Thompson is injecting himself into the controversy over the ability to play as the Taliban in the upcoming Medal of Honor, reports PCMag.com, saying Thompson faxed a letter outlining his objections to the game to U.S. defense secretary Robert Gates. As far as we know, the defense secretary has no say in the matter, but Thompson implores him to act against the release of the game and to punish the military personnel that consulted on the game design, as well as Electronic Arts and the ESA. He freely admits that he's not a lawyer and is not representing any parties involved, but cryptically says this may change: "Beyond that, I am not presently authorized to identify anyone. That may change in a day or two. I intend to stop the release of the game."

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 12, 2010, 02:55 space captain

excellent

take out the trash

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 9, 2010, 18:43 Hyatus

Outright bans never work. They can always find a new username. You should just give everyone a master ignore list that you can't override so the person being "banned" doesn't usually know they are being banned. Then they will leave when nobody responds to them after awhile.  

55. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 9, 2010, 17:16 Prez

Blue wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 08:07:
Call that giving him an opportunity to prove he's not a troll, since the next time he lobs one of his whine grenades into a thread and runs off he's probably going to get banned.

FINALLY. That's long overdue.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

54. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 9, 2010, 15:27 NKD

Blue wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 08:07:
Call that giving him an opportunity to prove he's not a troll, since the next time he lobs one of his whine grenades into a thread and runs off he's probably going to get banned.

That's good to hear

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

53. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 9, 2010, 11:52 Silicon Avatar

Oh Jack. You're the best gaming troll ever.  

52. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 9, 2010, 08:07  Blue 

NKD wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 01:15:
Nucas wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 00:46:
NKD wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 22:07:
Well he trolled Blue, that's for sure. LOL.
i don't really think the fact that blue deigned to respond to it constitutes him "being trolled".

Giving a serious response to someone who is just trying to cause mischief does constitute being trolled. In fact, it's second only to getting angry and flaming the guy in the ranking of how hard someone bites on a given troll attempt.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

51. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 9, 2010, 06:59 Agrajag

Blue wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 16:06:
Care to educate us on what freedom used to mean?

I was always told that it was just another word for nothing left to lose... ;-)

And, to the troll: I assume you oppose all forms of fantasy role-playing where one takes on the role of someone evil as well? No cops and robbers, unless everyone is a cop? No D&D unless everyone is aligned good? No civil war reenactments unless everyone is North? No WW2 movies, because some actors would need to portray Nazis? In fact, lets just get rid of history books entirely, because people might read about bad people and then could possibly imagine being those bad people, right? People like you disgust me... You don't belong in this country, because you obviously don't understand a thing about what makes it great... And, you're always the sort that are waving flags and pretending to be patriotic, too... (Yeah, I know, he's probably just a pathetic troll, but there really are idiots like him in real life...)

50. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 9, 2010, 01:15 NKD

Nucas wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 00:46:
i don't really think the fact that blue deigned to respond to it constitutes him "being trolled".

Giving a serious response to someone who is just trying to cause mischief does constitute being trolled. In fact, it's second only to getting angry and flaming the guy in the ranking of how hard someone bites on a given troll attempt.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

49. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 9, 2010, 01:01 Sepharo

I really don't think he's a troll* just a one of those seriously deluded "back in my day" types.

*Assuming we're defining troll as someone who intentionally posts things they don't necessarily agree with simply to rile people up.

48. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 9, 2010, 00:46 Nucas

47. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 8, 2010, 22:29 ForgedReality

BUAHHHAHAAA!! He FAXED a letter. Oh my god, Jack. When are you going to realize how outmoded, ignorant, and irrelevant you are?  

46. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 8, 2010, 22:07 NKD

45. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 8, 2010, 21:21 Nucas

Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 20:44:
Ever notice you never see Hellbinder and Jack Thompson at the same time?
hellbinder is the most exquisite troll on bluesnews in my opinion, even better since people always take his bait. just view it's posts for the precisely worded instigation they are (right down to the pseudo-ignorant misspelling, it really is masterful) and relax.

44. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 8, 2010, 21:07 cronik

I don't know about anyone else but I'm really looking forward to playing as the Taliban and taking on the Jews.  

43. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 8, 2010, 20:44 Prez

Ever notice you never see Hellbinder and Jack Thompson at the same time?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

42. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 8, 2010, 19:42 Cutter

And it's not like the working class of that period, or any other for that matter, weren't drinking and whoring and gambling and swearing like it was going out of style.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

41. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 8, 2010, 19:17 Hyatus

Blue wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 18:58
That's where these arguments lose me, when people play the
"The forefathers probably never really meant for freedom of [blank:

to mean [blank]." The bill of rights does not equivocate, and it seems pretty obvious that they spent a fair bit of time working on its wording. I'll reluctantly agree that we should obey the "it's not your right to yell fire in a crowded movie house" argument, but a puritanical approach to interpreting our rights irks me.

Well, we have to consider the forefathers and the era they lived in when we look back on the writings. We will never really know what they thought unless we can rig up a time-travelling Delorian. They were lawyers and politicians who lived in war-time. When you've got people with guns shooting at you, the last thing you will be thinking is how it would be nice if you could paint the roses red...unless you already did so and are being shot because the roses are painted.

I don't remember there being a "slaves are not considered property" sentence in the bill of rights. It's not like they were the most compassionate people ever. And yeah, I'm aware slaves are the Godwin's Law of discussion about old America.

40. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 8, 2010, 19:09 Sepharo

They weren't concerned with what was being said, they were concerned with congress's ability to limit it.  

39. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 8, 2010, 18:58  Blue 

Hyatus wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 18:22:
...the forefathers probably never really meant for freedom of speech to mean...

That's where these arguments lose me, when people play the
"The forefathers probably never really meant for freedom of [blank] to mean [blank]." The bill of rights does not equivocate, and it seems pretty obvious that they spent a fair bit of time working on its wording. I'll reluctantly agree that we should obey the "it's not your right to yell fire in a crowded movie house" argument, but a puritanical approach to interpreting our rights irks me.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

38. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 8, 2010, 18:56 Nameless Again

Hellbinder, you don't know anything about the concept of freedom. Troll.  

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo