Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FireFall Revealed

The FireFall Website is online, as home to an upcoming free-to-play team-based action shooter from Red 5 Studios, the startup formed by former World of Warcraft team lead Mark Kern. They are accepting beta applications, and according to Eurogamer, the game is expected before the end of this year. The site has screenshots and a teaser trailer, and has this to say: "Earth will never be the same. After the Crystite Wars, humanity inadvertently invited the worst enemy ever conceived: THE MELDING. It surrounds us. It forces us to live in pockets of land protected only by the accidental discovery of repulsor technology. We continue to fight for land. For technology. For power. For our very survival. JOIN THE FIGHT. FIREFALL is a team-based action shooter. Join your friends in an epic online campaign across a vast open world to stop the Melding and fight for the survival of humanity against the army of the Chosen. Advance your army and character through technological upgrades. Level up different character classes. Compete for supremacy in various multiplayer game types. Push back the Melding. SAVE EARTH."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 12, 2010, 23:13 Ant

Hump wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 21:40:
theres a 10 minute video out. The game looks really good but if you're expecting a new Tribes you'll be disappointed. Essentially it looks like Borderlands with a cleaner sci-fi manga style with a small helping of RPG upgrading and persistance. In a way it looks like what Global Agenda should've been.
http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=65468 has the video.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 12, 2010, 23:10 Ant

Interesting game. Maybe I will like it.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

19. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 10, 2010, 07:11 Beaner

Just another shooter, how boring. And they want to charge you to play this? Not likely.

No charge and thank God its not Spore.

18. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 10, 2010, 07:10 Beaner

All they covered is the open world co-op stuff. They say they will reveal more about the multiplayer skill based PVP play at a later date. They have really pushed the fact that they will optimize to make this a skill based PVP game. Coop PVE is one type of play.  

17. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 8, 2010, 21:21 ColoradoHoudini

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 08:26:
Just another shooter, how boring. And they want to charge you to play this? Not likely.

It's free to download and free to play. did you even bother reading anything about the game?

If anyone wants to read some stuff I posted about this game.. mostly how concerned i am about the potential lack of real world,open PvP and instead the underwhelming idea of having this expansive game and it being limited to PvE and arena-style PvP.. go here:
Go here.

I am Houdini there.. I think I make some very valid points and bring up a good bit of areas of concern.

16. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 8, 2010, 08:26 Ozmodan

15. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 8, 2010, 05:28 Hamsternator

Looking at this I think Planetside meets Borderlands.

I hope they implement PvP with capture objectives like planetside, as well as the same where the environment also takes part... imagine PvP faction territory fights where the bugs ALSO want a piece of the action... would be fun.

14. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 8, 2010, 05:06 Jerykk

So this looks like what Tribes might have been like without skiing, turning jetpacks into little more than jumpjets.

Tribes without skiing would have been pretty underwhelming. Skiing completely redefined the game and made it stand out from every other shooter out there. Without skating, it's nowhere near as remarkable or deep.

13. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 8, 2010, 03:42 DangerDog

Skiing in Tribes was a happy mistake, an exploitation of glitching the physics in the game. Remember the APC? Yeah, skiing made that thing pretty useless.

So this looks like what Tribes might have been like without skiing, turning jetpacks into little more than jumpjets. One PvP game mode that I hope they implement is Defend and Destroy, so much fun setting up defenses for your generators and trying to keep the enemy out of your base.

As long as the micro-transactions don't turn it into pay-2-win type of game.

12. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 8, 2010, 02:58 MoreLuckThanSkill

I watched that promo video from PAX, this game looks pretty good so far. I'll definitely try it since it's going to be Free to Play...the main questions remaining seem to be how annoying the micropayment options are, and how necessary features that aren't free are.

I can see them going the aggravating route of charging for storage space or extra character slots, etc.

11. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 7, 2010, 23:38 ColoradoHoudini

I know that it's not Tribes.. but we also haven't seen any PvP yet either...nor more than a few weps, and the large AOE wep doesn't move that fast.. so you would have to lead.. as far as i can tell.

There doesn't have to be skiing, but i would like for this game's PvP mechanic to borrow as much from Tribes/XMP as possible.

10. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 7, 2010, 23:24 elefunk

Alamar wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 22:10:
Looks interesting... Hopefully there will be a demo soon : )

-Alamar
Why? It's FREE!

9. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 7, 2010, 22:45 Jerykk

Playing a lot of wait and see here, I really hope this turns out to be something closer to Tribes and nothing like an instanced PvE/PvP borefest.

This already looks nothing like Tribes. There's no skiing and the terrain is not ski-conducive at all. The combat is completely different too. Tribes was all about leading your target and predicting where they could be in a second or two. In FireFall, you just aim directly at enemies.

That's not to say I'm not intrigued by this game but it really isn't anything like Tribes.

8. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 7, 2010, 22:36 ColoradoHoudini

I'm very active in the forums and been reading quite a bit on the game, and so far i like what i'm seeing--this coming from a Tribes/PS/XMP veteran.
I would much rather not have cell-shaded graphics, but whatever.

What I am VERY leery of so far is just how much of the game, if any, is open world PvP. I'm getting the sinking feeling that it's going to be instance-based PvP ..which is to say.. nothing good at all in PvP terms.

Of course there are fucking idiotic kids on their forums talking up the PvE side of things. These are mostly likely console dummies without any decent FPS background.. as they totally overlook that fact that FPS = PvP.. it's just that way. Fighting NPC's with all that's potentially available in this game is a waste of time.

I am hoping that the PvE side of things pushes the PvP progression.. and that PvP victories in areas opens up lands to PvE in.. but that's probably asking too much.
Playing a lot of wait and see here, I really hope this turns out to be something closer to Tribes and nothing like an instanced PvE/PvP borefest.

Thanks blue

7. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 7, 2010, 22:10 Alamar

Looks interesting... Hopefully there will be a demo soon : )

-Alamar

6. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 7, 2010, 21:40 Hump

theres a 10 minute video out. The game looks really good but if you're expecting a new Tribes you'll be disappointed. Essentially it looks like Borderlands with a cleaner sci-fi manga style with a small helping of RPG upgrading and persistance. In a way it looks like what Global Agenda should've been.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

5. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 7, 2010, 21:39 Verno

Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 21:34:
Envionrment looks sweet. In fact it looks a lot like WoW 2.0, the base looks suspiciously like Ogrimaar of the future. Gameplay looks fairly standard. Gotta lose the cell-shading on the avatars though, ugh.

It has one of the creators of Tribes and one of the creators of WoW working on it. Should be interesting, the F2P model has come a long way these days.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

4. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 7, 2010, 21:35 Hoop

1999 called, they want their game back.  

Um .. Behind you...

3. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 7, 2010, 21:34 Cutter

Envionrment looks sweet. In fact it looks a lot like WoW 2.0, the base looks suspiciously like Ogrimaar of the future. Gameplay looks fairly standard. Gotta lose the cell-shading on the avatars though, ugh.  

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

2. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 7, 2010, 21:06 StingingVelvet

Wish this was an offline game, it looks sweet.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo