Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled

A thread on the BioWare Social Network describes problems with the recently released Lair of the Shadowbroker DLC for Mass Effect 2, which is no longer available for purchase while they work on fixing it. Here's the word:

People using Xbox Live for the Xbox 360 can download and play Lair of the Shadowbroker. If you are an Xbox 360 user, please go ahead and enjoy the new DLC.

PC users currently are experiencing a technical issue with the downloaded file that prevents ALL PC users from playing the DLC. We are aware of this issue and have taken the following steps:

• We have removed the incorrect file from the download section so no further incorrect downloads will occur

• We are working on a fix for the issue and will get a working file up for PC users ASAP

More detail
If you downloaded the incomplete file (it is essentially 1.5 Gig of zeroes) this will not harm your system
You will NOT be charged again once the correct file is ready for download
We do not have a more accurate eta for the correct PC DLC, but when we do I will let you know.

As soon as we have more information I will post it here. We are sorry that this occured and we appreciate your patience as we work to get the fix to you.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

16. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 23:43 Creston

PC users currently are experiencing a technical issue with the downloaded file that prevents ALL PC users from playing the DLC. We are aware of this issue

even though none of our "testers" ever found it. Rolleyes

So I was looking forward to two excellent sounding pieces of DLC today, and instead we get 2 hours of recycled lands and something that just plain doesn't work. Quality work there, Bio...

Edit : Seems like it's back up? Anyone know if that's the proper version? At 90K/s at best, I'd hate to download a 1.6 Gig broken file.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Hash checking is so 19th century Sep 7, 2010, 23:37 Prez

Is this a QA fail or just an upload fail?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Hash checking is so 19th century Sep 7, 2010, 22:47 eRe4s3r

I so love that statement Apparently Bioware IT lives in an alternate reality where (and now many fantastic sarcastic statements follow)

-generating hashes for 1.6gb files is rocket surgery!
-comparing hashes of origin and destination file is rocket surgery!
-using an FTP with automated hash checks is rocket surgery!
-even using torrents is rocket surgery! (As not only do they do hash checks, but thousands of them for each piece, 1 global one for the torrent, and then one final one for every unique file)
-1.6gb is considered large (Heck, i consider 120gb large!) (unlike 1.6gb, 120gb generate a unique hash very.. very.. very.. slowly)

Obviously a CDN the size that Biowares has is no doubt huge, but how can a file be propagated without undergoing at least 1 unique and better 2 different hash checks? And why is that not automated?

13. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 22:40 Zardoz5

PhysicalEd wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 21:49:
Bludd wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 21:24:
How the hell can they offer 1.5 gigabytes of zeros?

Yeah, I'd have thought it would compress really really well...
Haha. People would've thought it was on the disc already with such a small download.

12. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 21:49 PhysicalEd

Yeah, I'd have thought it would compress really really well...

11. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 21:47 Kosumo

Coolone wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 21:25:

Very carefully?

This is shocking!

Never in my life time did I think I would ever see such a clear case of bainaryism!

Equal rights for 1

1100110101 101011 0101 0100111 1010

10. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 21:35 Verno

CrushBug wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 20:43:
Yeah, we are sorry about the hassle on this one. The source file we have is fine, but the one up on the CDN (Content Distribution Network) is all zeros. Because the file is so large (1.6 Gig) it is very slow to re-test and re-propagate the file through all the systems.

No worries, thanks for letting us know.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

9. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 21:25 Coolone

Very carefully?

8. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 21:24 Bludd

7. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 21:04 StingingVelvet

Back up now.  

6. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 20:57 007Bistromath

You guys did it wrong. It should've been 1.5G of indeed.jpg  

5. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 20:52 AdamK47

Good thing I made a stop to Blue's News before heading off and grabbing this thing. Hopefully they put some ones in with those zeros and get this thing working tonight.  

4. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 20:51 StingingVelvet

CrushBug wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 20:43:
Yeah, we are sorry about the hassle on this one. The source file we have is fine, but the one up on the CDN (Content Distribution Network) is all zeros. Because the file is so large (1.6 Gig) it is very slow to re-test and re-propagate the file through all the systems.

I apologize on behalf of humanity for your forums.

3. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 20:43  CrushBug 

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

2. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 20:42 Gocows

Played this on the Xbox and really enjoyed it. It does at times really feel like fan service. But since that was what I was hoping for, I can't really complain  

1. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 20:27 StingingVelvet

Yeah, this is annoying. The best thing about it though is the awesome irrational rage on the Bioware forums about it, like they kicked a pregnant woman's stomach or something.

Hoping they get it out tonight, it's only 5:30 there.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo