Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled

A thread on the BioWare Social Network describes problems with the recently released Lair of the Shadowbroker DLC for Mass Effect 2, which is no longer available for purchase while they work on fixing it. Here's the word:

People using Xbox Live for the Xbox 360 can download and play Lair of the Shadowbroker. If you are an Xbox 360 user, please go ahead and enjoy the new DLC.

PC users currently are experiencing a technical issue with the downloaded file that prevents ALL PC users from playing the DLC. We are aware of this issue and have taken the following steps:

• We have removed the incorrect file from the download section so no further incorrect downloads will occur

• We are working on a fix for the issue and will get a working file up for PC users ASAP

More detail
If you downloaded the incomplete file (it is essentially 1.5 Gig of zeroes) this will not harm your system
You will NOT be charged again once the correct file is ready for download
We do not have a more accurate eta for the correct PC DLC, but when we do I will let you know.

As soon as we have more information I will post it here. We are sorry that this occured and we appreciate your patience as we work to get the fix to you.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 18:51 Ruffiana

A 1.6 Gig package makes everything take longer

That's what she said.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 18:51 Ruffiana

I had no idea that zeros took up so much filespace, but I guess it makes sense...they are big and round compared to 1s. In fact, I bet if more games were coded with 1s they'd probably still fit on CDs and be hella quick to download.  

34. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 14:55 Creston

Thanks for the update, Derek! We do love ya, you know.

Creston

33. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 13:32  CrushBug 

Hey guys, sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Yes it was tested before uploading, yes it was verified on the server, yes it was downloaded and binarily compared before pushed live. And then everything went wrong. We had no indication that there was anything wrong with the download that everyone else was getting since we were all getting from the same CDN.

So, from there, it took quite a while to pull and purge the download package and then try and re-verify and propagate it again and then re-test everything. A 1.6 Gig package makes everything take longer.

Again, sorry for the hassle.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

32. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 12:48 Creston

Jonny wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 07:00:
I'll pass on that thanks. They're not as bad as a lot of fan forums or places like the Codex (although the Codex is a lot less irritating since they cracked down on rickrolling people to tubgirl or goatse images) but for a company forum it's pretty awful and has been since the migration to this social networking pish.

That has nothing to do with the forum, and everything to do with the fact that Bioware's QA has gone to absolute shit the last few years. It was already never the greatest to begin with, but it's truly god-awful now.

Creston

31. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 08:54 Verno

The general format of the Bioware "Social" website/forums just has a terribly clunky feel. The navigation is confused at best and frankly the whole thing seems like a college project. We've seen better websites out of start ups.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

30. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 07:00 Jonny

I'll pass on that thanks. They're not as bad as a lot of fan forums or places like the Codex (although the Codex is a lot less irritating since they cracked down on rickrolling people to tubgirl or goatse images) but for a company forum it's pretty awful and has been since the migration to this social networking pish.  

29. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 06:48 Dr. D. Schreber

Bioware's forums may be pretty awful, but I'd hardly say they're so bad they're noteworthy.

Try the Mass Effect section at fanfiction.net for real terror.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

28. Re: Hash checking is so 19th century Sep 8, 2010, 06:42 Jonny

So is this beast working now? I had a good laugh when I found out it was just a big file of zeroes, and an even bigger laugh at all the nerd rage on the forums, but I wouldn't mind getting a working file.

Seriously though, they really need to crack down on those forums. I've rarely seen a bigger cesspit and for a company's forums that's quite horrific. It's even lost it's "so horrible it's fascinating" appeal, as last night's thread was basically a copy n paste of the RtO thread from earlier in the year, right down to the intarweb lawyers threatening legal action.

27. Re: Hash checking is so 19th century Sep 8, 2010, 06:20 Mashiki Amiketo

NKD wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 04:21:
Certainly nothing they could have done to prevent it.
Bit parity while transferring comes to mind for making sure an upload is proper. I don't know about you, but when I'm transferring 10, 20TB or even 100MB worth of data, everything is paired and triple checked.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

26. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 04:35 StingingVelvet

Wow, that was epic... epic, Epic, EPIC.

Took me 3 hours and 40 minutes roughly and it was worth every penny of the $10 it cost. The action was very well done, the story and cinematics were very well done and the design of the new areas and enemies was very well done.

Very well done is the theme here.

25. Re: Hash checking is so 19th century Sep 8, 2010, 04:21 NKD

From what CrushBug said it sounds more like their CDN service fubarred. Not much they can do about that besides ensure whatever caused the problem is fixed and re-upload it to the CDN. Certainly nothing they could have done to prevent it. It's not an issue of testing, since everything was fine when the DLC left their system.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

24. Re: Hash checking is so 19th century Sep 8, 2010, 02:03 eRe4s3r

Indeed, think of the children!  

23. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 01:50 Mashiki Amiketo

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 01:43:
The vibe I got from their comments was that it was corrupted during upload through the system... could be wrong.
Parity redundancy is a good thing or something?

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

22. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 01:43 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 01:29:
It's entirely possible that one of the devs made a last-minute change without notifying production or QA.

The vibe I got from their comments was that it was corrupted during upload through the system... could be wrong.

21. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 01:29 Jerykk

even though none of our "testers" ever found it.

It's entirely possible that one of the devs made a last-minute change without notifying production or QA.

20. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 01:03 StingingVelvet

Wow, this sucker is awesome. I haven't finished it yet, but on a cinematic and gameplay level this is a real good piece of content. It feels more epic than most of the main game.  

19. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 00:11 Creston

Bioware has an IT staff? Sounds more and more like they outsourced that to some slum in India.

Creston

18. Re: Hash checking is so 19th century Sep 8, 2010, 00:09 Prez

C'mon now - we can't have legal torrents floating around.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Hash checking is so 19th century Sep 7, 2010, 23:58 eRe4s3r

I don't know, but maybe we should teach the IT staff at Bioware how to use torrents? That way they would quickly notice that propagating *working* files to billions of users at more than 90kb/s is in fact the easiest thing in the world.

In fact - if they release the real .torrent file publicly they don't even have to run their own announce server and everyone could run it in a proper client as well (or on a NAS, and whatever else has torrent support nowadays ;p)

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2010, 00:03.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo