Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

We mentioned the death of Relic designer Brian Wood in passing yesterday, but details in the story we saw were scant. This article has more on the story, saying that Wood's last act was to swerve his car to the right to bear the brunt of an oncoming car, sparing his wife and unborn child from a head-on collision that likely would have killed them all. It's a moving story, and a heartbreaking one as well, especially since it seems drug use by the other driver likely played a role in the accident.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Into the Black Sep 9, 2010, 15:02 dubfanatic

zirik wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 07:27:
i been to whidbey island. i cant get over the fact that gas stations there still use the honest system. you pull up and pump gas to whatever amount before paying. the meter is all mechanical vintage!

Not anymore, theft is a big problem here. We even had our car stolen once by some meth head. He was too stupid to drive it off the island, thankfully.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Tragic loss Sep 9, 2010, 14:45 Luther

My thoughts go to his friend and family. What a horrible tragedy and what an undeserving end.  

11. Re: Into the Black Sep 8, 2010, 10:00 mch

A real tragedy and a true hero. My condolences to his family.  
PSN: CaseDesignate

10. Re: Into the Black Sep 8, 2010, 08:00 InBlack

He did what any "normal" father or husband would have done in that situation which is to say he acted on instinct to protect his family. I doubt he had very much time to really think about the brake and swerve manouver, otherwise he would have had the time to avoid the collision alltogether.

Im sick of the word "Hero". To me it has negative connotations. To me Mr. Wood was a normal human being. That makes his passing even more sad..

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: Into the Black Sep 8, 2010, 07:27 zirik

dubfanatic wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 01:21:
I live on Whidbey Island. The only way anyone here can make the news is when someone does something stupid. Robert Jay Matthews, Colton Harris-Moore, now this. This really is a miserable place.

i been to whidbey island. i cant get over the fact that gas stations there still use the honest system. you pull up and pump gas to whatever amount before paying. the meter is all mechanical vintage!

8. Re: Into the Black Sep 8, 2010, 01:21 dubfanatic

I live on Whidbey Island. The only way anyone here can make the news is when someone does something stupid. Robert Jay Matthews, Colton Harris-Moore, now this. This really is a miserable place.  

7. Re: Into the Black Sep 7, 2010, 23:45 Prez

If the account is accurate, this action defines "hero". RIP.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Into the Black Sep 7, 2010, 22:45 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

5. Re: Into the Black Sep 7, 2010, 22:39 gilly775

God Bless you, Mr. Wood. Being a father myself, I most certainly understand what you did and why you did it. When you are (or soon to be) a father, you really will go to great lengths to protect your children.

RIP, and my family's condolences go out to The Woods' family.

4. Re: Into the Black Sep 7, 2010, 22:38 ASeven

Tragic news and truly the ultimate sacrifice anyone can make, still he was far too young for this to happen. My condolences to his family and friends.  

3. Re: Into the Black Sep 7, 2010, 22:30 jdreyer

My condolences to his real family and his Relic family.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Into the Black Sep 7, 2010, 22:22 LittleMe

Turns out there really was a hero working on Company of Heroes.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

1. Re: Into the Black Sep 7, 2010, 22:14 The Half Elf

GOD that fucking sucks. Guy was about to become a father and 4 fucking idiots on drugs took it away.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo