Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Chris Taylor on PCs

Chris Taylor offers an optimistic outlook on the future of the PC to Eurogamer.net, where the Gas Powered Games CEO cites the rise of web-based games and the increasing influence of Steam as reasons for his rosy outlook. "It's a matter of time before you're playing a game of the quality of a triple-A game that we know and love, like a Supreme Commander 2 or a StarCraft II, in a browser experience," Taylor says of web-gaming. "There's no reason that won't happen within five to eight years." He also says that he foresees sales of the PC edition of Dungeon Siege III through Steam will be competitive with the console editions: "That creates an incredible intensity in the PC business that had been lost. So I would say put down even money that we'll see the PC version competing against the console version when it comes out next year."

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 8, 2010, 12:27 Beamer

Tumbler is making the convenient assumption that people buy and sell used copies of the big-budget mainstream games, then use that money to buy new copies of more obscure and innovative games. Unfortunately, this assumption has a number of logical holes:

I know, I just wanted him to get into it before I poked holes.

Used game sellers tend to very heavily be used game buyers as well. They're completely and wholly outside of the main part of the video game industry. They're solely GameStop customers.

And, AGAIN, they're not PC gamers. PC gaming does not factor into GameStop, and the used game hatred by the industry due to GameStop, in the tiniest bit.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 8, 2010, 09:52 InBlack

I have finnaly fixed up my configuration. Everything is running nicely. I have to say though Im dissapointed with Blizzard and Battle.net 2.0....very dissapointed....in fact dissapointed is a rather weak word for what Im feeling.  

I have a nifty blue line!

42. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 8, 2010, 00:15 Jerykk

What? How do used game sales do anything for studios?

Tumbler is making the convenient assumption that people buy and sell used copies of the big-budget mainstream games, then use that money to buy new copies of more obscure and innovative games. Unfortunately, this assumption has a number of logical holes:

1) If someone buys and sells used games, saving money is more important to them than rewarding developers. As such, they are more likely to buy games used whenever possible, no matter how innovative or niche those games may be.

2) An obscure, niche game presents a greater risk to the consumer. It is an unproven entity. Conversely, mainstream, big-budget games tend to come from established developers or franchises and thus represent the much safer, more predictable purchase. It is more logical to spend more on a safe purchase than a risky purchase and buying a new copy is always more expensive than buying a used copy. Therefore, frugal consumers are more likely to buy a used copy of the risky game.

41. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 19:54 StingingVelvet

jdreyer wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 19:33:
Say what you want about SC vs Supcom, but I think that Chris's central point remains. All the browsers are adding graphic acceleration. This is the killer app for the PC to get discrete graphics into many more PCs and get more people into games. Currently, there are millions and millions of people that play flash games, and at some point they're going to want to play a 3D game and won't be able to b/c their machine doesn't have the necessary hardware. This rejection will put pressure on hardware manuf and vendors to provide decent discrete graphics on every device, since everyone wants 100% compat on the internet.

There will still be stand alone games built for the discernible future. There are huge technical hurdles to loading and running something like Crysis, so obviously initially, the games will be somewhat basic. But they'll improve over time. And running them will be no different than running a windowed game today. And I'm sure they'll come up with ways of minimizing the impact of currently open applications.

The biggest concern is that while there will be more game players and thus more revenue and more games, that there will be an overall reduction in quality, as the free to play model becomes dominant, and eventually no one will bother to spend the time to make a Starcraft or Halflife 2.

I think most people realize it could very well be successful, we just don't see it benefiting us at all. At best it will be a gateway for others to get into "real" gaming, at worst it will take away from real gaming. Neither offers me anything I don't already have and one attacks it.

40. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 19:50 D_K_night

sigh guys stop fighting over starcraft 2 vs. supcom. Please.

completely different games, for completely different audiences. If you want to fight over SC2 vs supcom, there are dedicated forums out there for that.

obviously supcom fans dislike sc2. Why? completely different types of games.

39. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 19:33 jdreyer

Say what you want about SC vs Supcom, but I think that Chris's central point remains. All the browsers are adding graphic acceleration. This is the killer app for the PC to get discrete graphics into many more PCs and get more people into games. Currently, there are millions and millions of people that play flash games, and at some point they're going to want to play a 3D game and won't be able to b/c their machine doesn't have the necessary hardware. This rejection will put pressure on hardware manuf and vendors to provide decent discrete graphics on every device, since everyone wants 100% compat on the internet.

There will still be stand alone games built for the discernible future. There are huge technical hurdles to loading and running something like Crysis, so obviously initially, the games will be somewhat basic. But they'll improve over time. And running them will be no different than running a windowed game today. And I'm sure they'll come up with ways of minimizing the impact of currently open applications.

The biggest concern is that while there will be more game players and thus more revenue and more games, that there will be an overall reduction in quality, as the free to play model becomes dominant, and eventually no one will bother to spend the time to make a Starcraft or Halflife 2.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

38. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 19:26 MattyC

Tumbler wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 15:51:
Which is why I never fully understand the support of GameStop. Publishers hate used games mostly due to GameStop. GameStop doesn't do PC used games. So GameStop has publishers scrambling to find ways to prevent used game sales, something that hardly effects PCs, essentially taunting publishers into action, yet is supported for this by PC gamers. It's screwing you over.

Uh...gamers in general do not appreciate the criticism of gamestop because the whole idea of used game sales has worked amazingly well at helping smaller studios take a risk on new ideas and bringing those games to the market with a good chance at making a profit.

What? How do used game sales do anything for studios?

37. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 18:13 StingingVelvet

I remember Steam having SupCom2 for like $10 right after launch and being amazed at such a sale, only then to find out it had really just dropped in price that quickly.

I am assuming that was not a successful game, and it deserves that failure as it threw out what made the original great without doing anything to appeal to the casual players it so desperately wanted.

36. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 18:01 ASJD

LOLOLOLOL Oh GOD

He mentioned Supcom 2 and Starcraft 2 in the same sentence?

I want to see John Romero mention Daikatana and Halo in the same sentence next.

Ohh how about this - and IGN editor mentioning his review along side the works of Shakespeare.

35. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 16:21 Verno

Uh...gamers in general do not appreciate the criticism of gamestop because the whole idea of used game sales has worked amazingly well at helping smaller studios take a risk on new ideas and bringing those games to the market with a good chance at making a profit.

That's absolutely ludicrous. Most publishers these days want to fund companies who generate new sales, not used sales.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

34. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 16:00 Beamer

Your post is lengthy, but focused around PCs.
Allow me to link to GameStop's online used PC game sales:
http://www.gamestop.com/Browse/search.aspx?N=140+80

2 items. An ethernet cable, and Super Monkey Ball 1&2 for $28 (out of stock, and I'm not sure that ever actually came out for PC.)

GameStop doesn't really do used PC sales. At all. So why do PC gamers defend it so much. Again, all it does is agitate developers and publishers by making boatloads off of used game sales. If used sales were solely ebay, craigslist and goozex they'd continue under the radar with no obvious head to cut off and no obvious man behind the curtain getting horribly fat while the developers feel they're starving (people here keep blaming publishers without realizing the entire damn industry feels this way, from full-time testers up to publishers.)

You're also wrong about smaller studios being helped by used game sales. The only people helped are GameStop shareholders.

-------------

33. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 15:51 Tumbler

Which is why I never fully understand the support of GameStop. Publishers hate used games mostly due to GameStop. GameStop doesn't do PC used games. So GameStop has publishers scrambling to find ways to prevent used game sales, something that hardly effects PCs, essentially taunting publishers into action, yet is supported for this by PC gamers. It's screwing you over.

In order to bring new games to the market on the pc you're talking about a development budget that is peanuts if you want the risk to pay off in the big picture for the developer/publisher. They can't all be winners and the publisher can't afford to invest millions if only one game is going to succeed out of 10. The pc game market losing used game sales (mmo's do this as well as you can't just sell your account easily) drives more money to less people and in turn the new guys end up taking huge risks when trying new ideas and new IP's and the margin for error is non existant.

You'll see smaller niche titles coming up but they rarely take form and blossum, too much money goes to the next wow expansion, or the new SC2 game, and why shouldn't it, you know you're screwed if you buy something that turns out to be shit so you might as well risk your dollars on a game that has the best possible chance of being a success.

People lash out at developer/publishers attacking gamespot because we've seem what happens when you try and cut off used game sales. You're like a hooker trying to convince me that life on the street ain't that bad, just try it, it's all sun shine and lolly pops! But it's too late, you lost us when you smiled and showed your cavity covered teeth and skin covered with needle marks.

PC gaming can go on to become what ever it wants, just leave console games out of your sick twisted dreams of a world were developer/publishers get to control the games market and consumers have no choices.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

32. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 15:35 Lit_Reflex001

Being stuck with low end DSL (86-91 kilobytes a sec)does not make digital downloads really possible for me. I'd spend days on new games.  

31. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 15:31 SpectralMeat

Darks wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 15:23:
While RUSE looks to be a good game, I played the beta for a while and felt it was mearly an ok game. But what really killed this game for me was the lack of Multiplayer AI. that was the deal breaker for me buying this game.

Cant figure out why they left AI matches out. I guess they didnt want to fully support the game which is why Ill be passing on this one.

You mean playing MP against AI?
That was in the beta and in the full game as well. I did not play against real people in the beta only against AI.

Steam: SpectralMeat

30. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 15:23 Darks

Grifter wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 13:49:
Darks wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 13:17:
Ok, The factory helping out another.

Grifter, You need ot go back and play the game with all the new patches in place. they fixed that issue with the Experimentals. they incresed the health by 25 percent. there are a bunch of other changes and balance issues fixed too.

I would go back but I have Star Craft 2 and R.U.S.E just came out today and I have that. No need to revisit a console port RTS when there are Rts out there made for the pc

While RUSE looks to be a good game, I played the beta for a while and felt it was mearly an ok game. But what really killed this game for me was the lack of Multiplayer AI. that was the deal breaker for me buying this game.

Cant figure out why they left AI matches out. I guess they didnt want to fully support the game which is why Ill be passing on this one.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

29. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 14:37 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 14:29:
They're gateways... games as a service, getting people used to the idea that games can be something you login to and pay a subscription for, or what-have-you. He talks about Steam being a harbinger for browser-based games in the interview itself even.

I know a lot of people don't make the connection but I feel it's strong.

Fair enough, that makes sense and I get where you're coming from. There's a lot of things that have changed in the industry and few of them for the good. Look at all of the stuff we now pay for routinely that we used to get for free. Whats worse is we often get less value for more money.

Some guy on ArsTechnica posted this awesome rant the other day and it really resonated with me. It made me realize just how far its come, my role as a consumer in it and led me to cancel my XBL sub because I don't like where it's going. I see games as a service as the logical next step and fully expect the companies to have integrated some of the functionality you're talking about which will in turn help drive the PC market towards something similar.

28. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 14:29 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 13:51:
I totally get your complaint and I sympathize because I don't want all ownership rights stripped away. But I have to ask, why WoW and Steam of all things? Steam has an offline mode and many, if not most games can be run separately by just running the executable. WoW is an MMO and its pretty much understood that those require servers for full functionality. Even in that case though you can edit a config file and point your client at a homebrew server if need be.

They're gateways... games as a service, getting people used to the idea that games can be something you login to and pay a subscription for, or what-have-you. He talks about Steam being a harbinger for browser-based games in the interview itself even.

I know a lot of people don't make the connection but I feel it's strong.

27. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 14:17 Verno

avianflu wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 14:12:
Hey Verno, because a webrowser notoriously sucks CPU cycles in normal operation so there's all that overhead before the game even executes inside the browser.

They don't generally sit there consuming huge amounts of CPU time unless they're rendering something I guess was my point.

Plus, SunJava and Flash and whatever else runs in browsers by default these days and thereby sucks CPU time.

That on the other hand makes sense, Flash is pretty notorious for resource consumption and crashing.

26. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 14:12 avianflu

Hey Verno, because a webrowser notoriously sucks CPU cycles in normal operation so there's all that overhead before the game even executes inside the browser. Plus, SunJava and Flash and whatever else runs in browsers by default these days and thereby sucks CPU time.  

25. Re: Chris Taylor on PCs Sep 7, 2010, 14:06 Beamer

But I have to ask, why WoW and Steam of all things?

Because, to many here, ownership is tied to resale.

The other aspect that drives people nuts is that they won't be able to play if authentication servers are magically shut down in the future. Again, I'm not terribly concerned there, either. Yeah, we lose multiplayer in these situations, which isn't horrible as by that point most games have communities slightly smaller in population than the nevernude community (dozens!) Whether we'd be able to replay, well, we've figured out ways to keep playing everything in the past and I have no problem believing that even if every single member of Valve and possible owner of the content gets vaporized in a massive solar flare tomorrow that singles out only entities and electronics tied to Valve that someone will find a way around Steam within a few months.

-------------

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo