Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

David Allen Speaks

The Real History of Quest Online on David Allen's Website has the former managing member of Quest Online's response to critical posts by new QOL President Derek Smart and the subsequent lawsuit filed against him by his former company over development of their MMOG Alganon. This public spat was already ugly, and this does nothing to change that, as in the lengthy post Allen says this situation has cost him his home, makes numerous accusations of legal wrongdoing, and takes on Derek Smart head on, giving a history of Smart's public conflicts and attempting some armchair analysis along the way. He does conclude on an up-note: "It was a privilege to found, build and run QOL, create, develop and launch Alganon, and to work with the outstanding team that was formed. As I work through what has unfortunately become a nightmare, Iíll remember what so many of our team members shared with me: QOL was the best job I ever had." Thanks Carsten.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 9, 2010, 12:28 space captain

wow what a chode  
Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: removed Sep 9, 2010, 07:54 Kosumo

Gee, why was that removed? Oh that's right Dsmart loves getting thing removed.  

56. removed Sep 8, 2010, 17:11 space captain

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 8, 2010, 18:59.

Go forth, and kill!

55. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 8, 2010, 08:52 The Half Elf

I have said this before and I will say it again.

I absolutely love talking to/listening to Derek about the gaming industry and stuff in general as long as it's not about the Battlecruiser series

If I still lived in Florida I'd drive over and get his autograph

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

54. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 8, 2010, 04:44 Theo

why o why o why do we have Dsmart topics on blues? it ALWAYS turns in to a "lets bash derek" fest, (admittedly he does incite it on occasion). Shame the siutation is as it is, i only hope the people with jobs get to keep there's and also have some job satisfaction, hopefully the battle of the ego's wont get in the way of that.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

53. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 22:38 Dirwulf

Hey look, Google was kind enough to cache the blog. I haven't checked if any of the links work. I'm sure they don't work/aren't cached.

52. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 20:14 Kosumo

I thought Cock fighting was illegal in the states? Why are these two dicks going at it?

Pox on both their houses.

51. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 19:02 creatorswhim

Haha, this stuff is great. It's like watching Kanye West and Fitty Cent have a twitter war.  

50. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 18:45 Ashley

Veterator wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 18:07:
I just have to make the comment that admitting faults or mistakes while in the middle of a lawsuit is not the best strategy to take. It never fails that the other side will take them and twist them into more than you meant, implying intent to do those things from the beginning.....

Great post and I admire you for spreading the word about what a mistake both these adversaries have made over and over again. Hopefully others will learn from your post but don't expect David and Derek to learn it. They've had lots of practice doing it wrong.

49. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 18:07 Veterator

I just have to make the comment that admitting faults or mistakes while in the middle of a lawsuit is not the best strategy to take. It never fails that the other side will take them and twist them into more than you meant, implying intent to do those things from the beginning.

Saw this first hand with a family inheritance issue related to the care and financial management of my grandmother. Estranged aunt comes into the picture and suddenly not being able to produce expense sheets like you're a financial planner implies you added onto your house at your own expense just so you could steal money.

Spouting off is not the right thing to do either. You just don't offer up information unless required to, because then the info you do offer up becomes super-scrutinized and when it comes back harmless they wonder what you were trying to hide by wasting their time on that. Get the best lawyer you can find in your price range, hopefully one who can manage expenses well. Then keep your mouth shut and only discuss the case with people who have as much to lose as you, your lawyer, and very trusted friends and close family. Don't even mention you're involved in a lawsuit if possible, otherwise the gossips in contact with both sides start stirring the pot. There are a number of relatives my parents don't speak to anymore after this case because it seemed that some were actively encouraging them to do questionable things prior to my grandmothers death and suddenly knew information that only the aunt would know or care about....even though they claimed to be on my parents side of it all.

It's a horrible way to live for a time, but it's better than jeopardizing your future over misinterpreted or poorly chosen words.

bobbyric wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 16:27:
while I don't 100% agree with the ridiculous personality disorders, i've been in business long enough to know when a producer/financier is going to turn to the guy who tells them "I can get your product finished and get it done NOW" opposed to the other guy who's been burning a hole in your wallet. You can sit around sharpening your spear all you want, but eventually you have to go hunting.

While I've been frequenting Blues News long enough to know Smart has a narcisstic personality, Allen obviously has other issues, especially about not fessing up to his mistakes. Never once in his blog did he say "I really should have done this ___ or worked harder to do this ___" he days say "I learned that ___" but obviously he made grievous mistakes along the way. When he started to write in his blog "We did not have enough money for marketing"... seriously? Since when did MMO's really need money for marketing? WoW didn't even get it's first TV commercials until AFTER it had hit mainstream big time.

48. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 18:04 OttoBClark

I really don't know who to believe here...

Derek Smart is a moron of the highest degree.... you could not show us where NC is on a map and yet you brag constantly about your fake PhD?

And who knows about David Allen, both his games he's made seem rather fishy to me.

No one wins in this fight.....

47. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 17:55 space captain

didnt dsmart make a solemn vow to never post on blues news again?  
Go forth, and kill!

46. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 17:51 Dirwulf

bobbyric wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 16:27:
WoW didn't even get it's first TV commercials until AFTER it had hit mainstream big time.

You mean one that you remember? WoW had a commercial the day of release.

45. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 17:11 ibm

It's certainly paid for itself.  

44. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 16:28 Saturated fat

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 15:47:
The only thing I can say is like Derek or hate him, he's been running a company successfully for many years now whereas David Allen has only a string of failures to his name.

It looks like that PHD really has paid off!

43. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 16:27 bobbyric

while I don't 100% agree with the ridiculous personality disorders, i've been in business long enough to know when a producer/financier is going to turn to the guy who tells them "I can get your product finished and get it done NOW" opposed to the other guy who's been burning a hole in your wallet. You can sit around sharpening your spear all you want, but eventually you have to go hunting.

While I've been frequenting Blues News long enough to know Smart has a narcisstic personality, Allen obviously has other issues, especially about not fessing up to his mistakes. Never once in his blog did he say "I really should have done this ___ or worked harder to do this ___" he days say "I learned that ___" but obviously he made grievous mistakes along the way. When he started to write in his blog "We did not have enough money for marketing"... seriously? Since when did MMO's really need money for marketing? WoW didn't even get it's first TV commercials until AFTER it had hit mainstream big time.

42. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 16:17  dsmart 

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 15:47:
My opinion on this (which means absolutely nothing especially considering I couldn't care less about Alganon) is that we have two people speaking, both of whom have a vested interest in the outcome of this scenario and both of whom are acting very unprofessionally by shooting their traps off in public when they should be letting their lawyers handle this and leave it to the court. If this goes to trial, I wouldn't be surprised if the judge lambasted them both and slapped gag orders on them.

David Allen has history in the industry as does Derek Smart and depending who you ask, both are not good. The only thing I can say is like Derek or hate him, he's been running a company successfully for many years now whereas David Allen has only a string of failures to his name. Quest Online is also still operating under Derek's leadership whereas if all accounts are true, it would have died a long time ago if Allen was still at the helm.

I think there's probably valid points on both sides of this. The unfortunate thing is the employees and customers who are caught in the middle of this battle that's clearly more about ego than the vision.

The fact is that the co would have died since Dec 2009 were it not for me. Thats just the cold hard facts.

Here we are, its Sept, the game was finished back in April, I went out and got additional funding, settled lawsuits (that Allen left the co open to), gained investor confidence, rallied the team, FINISHED the game etc and everything in between

Meanwhile, he's out posting rubbish and trying to make me look bad, when in fact, the game is still up and running and the company is still around.

That is typical David Allen. He takes NO responsibility for his abject screw-ups and every time (THREE failed companies later) it is always someone else's fault.

So far, its just him and his inner circle of friends (Jason, Hue, Josef) who started the game, blew through investor money, NEVER finished the game and were either fired or quit, posting nonsense that has no basis in reality.

This Josef (who never had a job other than QOL apparently) person used to work here apparently before I even got here. I don't know him personally and everything he posted is the usual crap that Allen and his inner circle of friends (e.g. Hue Henry and Jason Blood used to do the same thing over on Gamasutra a few months back after I fired Allen and co) are posting. They of course have an axe to grind. But whatever.

One thing is certain: none of these tools will ever work in this industry again. They've made sure of it.

Do you really want to hear how David allegedly handled the co and people who are not in his inner circle? Fine, go ahead and ask Dan Nissenbaum (also before my time) and which I've also had to deal with. Dan has been trying to sue the co since late 2009 and Allen kept this from the investors. Once I took over, Dan's attorneys sent it to us and we've been dealing with it since.

There isn't a single person that I know at this co who has anything good to say about him. Not one. The only ones who have anything nice to say, are the ones (his inner circle that condoned his behavior and ruin of the game and company) who were either fired or quit after I fired Allen. A total of 3. For a company that, at any one time, has more than 28 people working on Alganon.

And his ludicrous blog is just another example of how far he will go. He almost killed the co while he was here and he is STILL trying to destroy it even after they fired him.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2010, 08:55.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

41. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 16:12 wtf_man

I think Parallax hit the nail on the head.

We all know Derek is outspoken. Dave is very outspoken as well, especially when he hyped Horizons (constantly stating what AAA MMO developers were doing 'wrong'). So, now they both are blabbin' about legal matters that usually the Attorneys tell their clients to STFU and let them handle it.

If they don't settle out of court... it will at least be interesting to see what the judge has to say about all the shenanigan "statements".

Oh, and Josef... If you signed up for a "WoW rip-off look and feel", and understood that was the design direction from the 'get go'... then you and the whole team got what you deserved. (A flop)

If the accusations of Dave wanting to maintain that particular design are true... then I can understand why he got "outsted from his own company" (AGAIN). Dumbest fuckin' idea, ever.

40. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 15:47 Parallax Abstraction

My opinion on this (which means absolutely nothing especially considering I couldn't care less about Alganon) is that we have two people speaking, both of whom have a vested interest in the outcome of this scenario and both of whom are acting very unprofessionally by shooting their traps off in public when they should be letting their lawyers handle this and leave it to the court. If this goes to trial, I wouldn't be surprised if the judge lambasted them both and slapped gag orders on them.

David Allen has history in the industry as does Derek Smart and depending who you ask, both are not good. The only thing I can say is like Derek or hate him, he's been running a company successfully for many years now whereas David Allen has only a string of failures to his name. Quest Online is also still operating under Derek's leadership whereas if all accounts are true, it would have died a long time ago if Allen was still at the helm.

I think there's probably valid points on both sides of this. The unfortunate thing is the employees and customers who are caught in the middle of this battle that's clearly more about ego than the vision.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

39. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 15:43 sauron

dsmart wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 15:35:
Blogs gone. Thats the end of that.

Sure, after the situation had been viewed, discussed and commented on by (and amused) tens of thousands of people around the world.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Much better if there had been intervention before all parties involved became figures of fun.

Kittens!

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo