Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stardock On Elemental's Future

There's a Drama Cleansing Thread on the Elemental Forums written by Stardock's Brad "Frogboy" Wardell discussing the future of Elemental: War of Magic, their 4X turn-based strategy game. Going forward Brad describes plans to continue to fix immediate launch issues involving compatibility and crashing with version 1.0x patches, to be followed by a version 1.1 patch addressing player feedback with things like enhanced AI, improved UI, a tutorial, updated quest system, new magic system, and other tweaks, saying this version will serve as the basis for a demo. He also talks of a version 1.2 patch next month and a version 1.3 patch in November, after which they will turn their attention to the game's first expansion. In case you missed it, the drama this refers to is that following the release of Elemental, the game was strongly criticized by PC gamer, which Wardell initially deflected before relenting and agreeing with the assessment of the game's launch shortcomings, later announcing this resulted in layoffs. Brad's lengthy update also addresses some of the feedback they've received about the problematic launch of the game, saying they will indeed resubmit the patched version of the game for re-review, but will not issue a "Director's Cut," while also explaining the reasons for the layoffs. He also responds to some personal invectives, including the suggestion he kill himself, that he has a martyr complex, and that his "act is getting old" after the equally messed-up release of Demigod, which inspires an explanation of why the problems with the two games were not the result of similar issues. He also replies to questions about his opinion of the game, their forum moderation policies, and shares his outlook that they are not getting screwed by the game's negative reviews, as he stated earlier: "Put another way, the blistering feedback on Elemental: War of Magic should serve as a scarlet letter to make us 'never forget'." Thanks joao.

View
14. Re: Stardock On Elemental's Future Sep 6, 2010, 19:36 Kosumo

All good Prez, not offended by how you spend your money; it is after all your money to spend on whatever you like.

Was just interested on why you wish to support them when in my view they very much did the wrong thing by releasing the game in the state that it was in.

Sorry if I read to much into what I thought you said.

Not trying to offend you by calling you a fanboi I'm just saying that maybe that is the only reason you are supporting them. You want them to succeed but for them to succeed they need to NOT release games in this state.

Brad has been so full of shit over this its amazing. When reviewers criticzed it, he said "It is, with some irony, our commitment to no DRM on our DVD release that ultimately caused the rough pre-release experience of Elemental. Several retailers broke the street date and we felt we needed to release our gold version to our customers who had pre-ordered from us as well as to our beta community that helped make the game the outstanding strategy game that it is."

Was it the retailers who caused the rough pre-release? Is it the 'outstanding strategy game it is'?

I've yet to see anyone call it an outstanding strategy game but Brad. It may become an 'outstanding strategy game" but it anit at the moment so why abuse gamers by releasing it? I thought he championed right for gamers against this kind of thing.

Stardock is fucked and are gonna go under is my call - They anit got the money which is why they released and laid off staff. To hear Brad say any diffently I take with a spoon full of salt.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Sep 6, 12:54 Re: Stardock On Elemental's Future Pyloff
  2. Sep 6, 13:12 Re: Stardock On Elemental's Future Verno
  3. Sep 6, 13:23  Re: Stardock On Elemental's Future Cutter
  7. Sep 6, 15:56   Re: Stardock On Elemental's Future Warskull
  8. Sep 6, 17:11    Re: Stardock On Elemental's Future D_K_night
  9. Sep 6, 17:42     Re: Stardock On Elemental's Future Prez
  10. Sep 6, 18:54      Re: Stardock On Elemental's Future Kosumo
  11. Sep 6, 19:02       Re: Stardock On Elemental's Future Bhruic
  12. Sep 6, 19:08       Re: Stardock On Elemental's Future Prez
  13. Sep 6, 19:35        Re: Stardock On Elemental's Future w34sl3