Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Bible Online Beta

Open beta testing for The Bible Online is slated to begin today at 6:00 pm GMT+1, which the Blue Computer tells us is about a half-hour ago. The Bible Online is a browser-based MMOG with RTS and RPG elements. Word is: "As the leader of their tribe, players have to construct their villages, manage resources and the budget. At the same time, players must protect their tribe from the pagans and also from other tribes. The game provides an alliance system, through which players can establish alliance for their common interest to protect themselves. Playing the role of Abraham his descendants, players also lead their tribe and raise heroes through hunting and gathering experiences." The game will launch with English and German versions, but they plan on supporting most European languages by the end of this year.

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 19, 2010, 08:33 Eldaron Imotholin

Verno wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 12:12:
I'd just be happy if religion could be kept out of politics. Politics is a dirty enough business without religion but putting the two together just makes for a miserable experience where its almost impossible to get anything done.

"Religion & Politics. Two things created by man for the sole purpose to bash eachother's heads in and get away with it." - Drayton, D.

PS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNf-P_5u_Hw

Now stop this fucked up and impossible discussion. There's no discussing with religious folks and I've realized that firsthand with my ignorant family. Thank science, though, else the zealots would still be burning "witches".

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2010, 08:42.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 18, 2010, 23:38 Lit_Reflex001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTYr3JuueF4  

67. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 13, 2010, 14:54 NicklePop

HellSlayer wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 18:56:
Everyone has all the answers?:) You guys cannot prove there is not a God either. Look, I created this message again...where did it come from? Wait, someone had to create it. Just like someone creates video games.

Big bang theory =

Now this one goes out to the programmers. Let us use Wow as an example. If I throw a bunch of C++ code together at random, could I make a virtual world? I do not care if you have every programmer in the world work on a project, if you just throw random code into a compiler...you could not make a game like WoW. It is impossible. Now think of the millions of lines of code it took to make a game. Now think about the earth, the sun, living organisms. Could a big bang(random code) make up the universe(s)? Impossible! The systems are too complex to be random, period.

Next on the hit list, natural selection. Another bogus theory made up by people that do not want to admit there is a higher power.

I agree with this. I find the idea that all of existence came from random indeterminate chance to be a laughable concept. That said the idea that the earth is "6000 years old" equally laughable.

66. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 10, 2010, 01:10 Prez

I've got low expectations on this for sure, I'm guessing it's more about getting people to practice the faith than trying to entertain people with fun stories.

I've been looking into it - honestly it looks like it's more aimed at the Christian subset of the "Farmville" crowd. Thinking about it, I'd say that's not really a bad decision, seeing as how that's probably a very large group of people. I also get the impression it is more like edutainment for people who are already pre-disposed to Biblical teachings and less of a conversion tool.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

65. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 9, 2010, 17:50 Tumbler

Next on the hit list, natural selection. Another bogus theory made up by people that do not want to admit there is a higher power.

Perhaps you could side step this and tell us where the higher power came from? That is the real question that everyone wants to know. Say one day you prove there is a god. (or that there is no god) Why is everything including us here? And if there is a god, why is that there? Where did that thing come from? And why is he/she/it there?

I don't think anyone honestly cares if there is a god or not, what they eventually want to know is why there is anything here.

Fine, there is a god, why? Why is there a god? Who made God?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

64. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 9, 2010, 17:27 Tumbler

Holy shit. (Ha!) This is real?! I had no clue why Penny Arcade started talking about how cool a Bible Online game would be but I had to agree with a lot of it. If it was treated like greek mythology and make into a fun game (like God of War) it could be a lot of fun to play through some of those stories. (not just hack and slash games)

I've got low expectations on this for sure, I'm guessing it's more about getting people to practice the faith than trying to entertain people with fun stories.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

63. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 9, 2010, 05:55 Bhruic

I really don't understand why people keep talking about science and religion in the same context. They have nothing to do with each other. Science deals with that which can be demonstrated and tested. Religion deals with that which cannot be demonstrated and tested. There's no overlap between the two.

Science can no more disprove the existence of god(s) than it can disprove the existence of the invisible pink unicorn behind me. What's more, science has absolutely no interest in whether there is or is not a god or gods.

With that being said, it would be nice if certain Christians would stop trying to argue against science as if it's anti-religion. If you want to believe in what the bible says, that's fine. If you want to believe in the literal version (which one...?) of the bible, that's fine too. Just keep in mind that your God is also the one that created all the things that science studies, as well as creating our brains. I'm sure he/she/it intended us to use our brains, and specifically to use them to better understand the universe that he/she/it created. So rather than fighting with science, why not study it, so you can better understand the what God has given you?

62. Re: Creation is everwhere! Sep 9, 2010, 05:15 eRe4s3r

Your logic is not only flawed, it might also interest you that you do consist of particles that a sun that went super nova produced.. around 4 to 8 billion years ago. And your "god" is barely making the 2000 years mark.

Your logic is saying that god created you (k, that makes him at least 10 billion years old), yet your religion only exists for 2000 years, and human life on this planet only for 160k years.... ehm, does not compute.

Also, dynamite is a chemical reaction, try fusion reactions next time you make inadequate examples

61. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 9, 2010, 00:58 Sepharo

I find it extremely frustrating to read posts about "science" written by proponents of religion and especially proponents of creationism.

Yes please explain to me how the Big Bang is or isn't like dynamite.
Or how one must "believe" in multiple dimensions just like one "believes" in a god.

I've gone through "catechism", Christianity 101, Judaism 101, and Islam 101 but you don't see me going around explaining the wonderful mysteries of faith and religion. Yet anytime a thread pops up like this we often have to listen to "scientific" explanations not even of a high school caliber which the writer somehow thinks have proven something.

60. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 8, 2010, 21:30 Prez

Nah, not worth it.  

59. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 8, 2010, 06:52 Animals for Crackers

As pretentious as Christians usually are, they have nothing on the militant atheist crowd, who constantly drub you over the head with their opinions whether they are on topic or not.

Nice colorful use of language there. Militancy usually has violent connotations. I'm assuming its not an accident you specifically chose that descriptor over all the other perfectly suitable and APPROPRIATE (see: less disingenuous) ones.

You're also kidding yourself if you think, in the REAL WORLD, vocal atheists are a bigger problem than the vocal religious in nearly every relevant facet of modern society. Fuck, just one example, how many atheists have come to your house and told you the "good news" that you were forever doomed to suffer eternal torment unless you joined their pet cult like the dirty, worthless sinner you are? Most likely zero. Give. Me. A. Break.

Its also perfectly appropriate in this case for an atheist to express his/her opinion. If anything, you're being off-topic and by your own logic "militant" for "beating us over the head" with that cliche of yours about so-called "militant atheists" where its not really relevant, because guess what, this thread is relating to religion!

This whole 'militant atheist' canard needs to fucking die, now. The word doesn't mean what you think it means. 'Obnoxious' is probably the word you're looking for. You want the full spectrum of possible human violence and indignity on unprecedented scales throughout history, religion is the only game in town.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2010, 07:10.

58. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 8, 2010, 02:56 Prez

Good post sliv.

As far as the Left Behind game goes, I thought the premise had real possibility; the execution of the game itself was horrid. Were the unique premise married to a well-designed game, it "coulda been a contenda", as they say.

57. Creation is everwhere! Sep 8, 2010, 02:54 HellSlayer

Creation is everywhere! If someone smacked Batman, someone had to create the slapping motion!:)

Big bang 101. You can have 10 sticks of dynamite,the same amount of dynamite(identical in every way). Light them off, and not one will explode the same way twice (random). Name one explosion that created something and not destroyed it? There was a nothing to something reaction. It was "Light be, and light was."

o0

56. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 7, 2010, 21:19 sliv

Wow, I didn't realize there were so many scientists and pastors who read Blue's.

I, for one, am neither and don't pose to be a professional when it comes to Biblical knowledge and I did poorly in science while in school. But just like everyone, I do have my own opinions and my own beliefs. I'll keep my beliefs to myself so as not to 'shove them down anyone's throats', however I will share my opinion:

There are a lot of close-minded, mass generalizations and assumptions going on that really should be more thought out and researched before vomited pell-mell in a gaming forum. Sources, anyone? It really is starting to sound like a bunch of second-graders yelling "yeah, well you're ugly!" I've yet to see a conversation/debate in a forum like this ever end positively and will usually just drive the wedge deeper between the two sides. Which then makes me wonder "what's the point?" Is there really that much pent-up anger just desperately needing to be let out?

Of course, discussions like these are a train wreck and are often hard to look away.

Back on the topic of the Bible MMO, doubt it will be very successful as the financial backing for Christian games are rarely there (heck, even well-funded games aren't always successful) and usually comes with too much controversy (ala, the Left Behind games) to have a large enough following to be considered relevant.

55. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 7, 2010, 19:32 Verno

HellSlayer wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 18:56:
Everyone has all the answers?:) You guys cannot prove there is not a God either.

That argument wouldn't pass muster in high school debate club, let alone an adult discussion and has been thoroughly debunked already. If you want to start repeating silliness then you can move onto the "faith" portion we all know is coming.

blah blah the world is too complex to be random

Funny, man used to think the world was flat. People used to be put to death because of a mental illness mistaken for demonic possession. Ignorance of complexity and the absence of understanding are not indicators of anything. We as a species continue to move forward and achieve greater understanding of our universe. What is complex today is tomorrows simplicity thanks to science. Amusingly enough most religions seek to blunt those efforts, I wonder why

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

54. No subject Sep 7, 2010, 18:56 HellSlayer

Everyone has all the answers?:) You guys cannot prove there is not a God either. Look, I created this message again...where did it come from? Wait, someone had to create it. Just like someone creates video games.

Big bang theory =

Now this one goes out to the programmers. Let us use Wow as an example. If I throw a bunch of C++ code together at random, could I make a virtual world? I do not care if you have every programmer in the world work on a project, if you just throw random code into a compiler...you could not make a game like WoW. It is impossible. Now think of the millions of lines of code it took to make a game. Now think about the earth, the sun, living organisms. Could a big bang(random code) make up the universe(s)? Impossible! The systems are too complex to be random, period.

o0

53. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 7, 2010, 18:08 space captain

justice7 wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 14:37:
Nothing like lumping every Christian into a single stereotype. One of the worlds largest religions, and you consider each one of them evil, hateful and corrupt (or at least the religion is that they subscribe to).

I normally don't bother to post to call someone out, but you sir are a Bigot.

hmmm - isnt it true that Christians have the view that all non-christians are damned to suffer in hell for all eternity because they do not accept jesus as their personal saviour?

Go forth, and kill!

52. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 7, 2010, 16:20 Celestron56

I am saying that just because we cannot test for something doesnt mean it isnt possible.

By your logic, Zeus, Apollo, The Flying Spaghetti Monster and all the thousands of other gods throughout history are on the same ground in terms of possibility. You can't prove I'm wrong about those gods. It is why your argument isn't a good one.

51. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 7, 2010, 16:20 StreetPreacher

Meh. I consider myself a pretty hardcore antitheist, and even I don't care about this, nor do I understand why other non-Christians do. Maybe it's fun to poke fun at, but at the end of the day shouldn't everyone have a chance to play a game that caters to their own special interests? I mean, if you can play an orc, wookie, or space marine online, then why not play a zombie magician prophet or an old guy who talks to flaming shrubs? To each their own fantasy I say.

This is doubly good b/c by definition it's only seen and heard by those who WANT to. If only all religious content were this way...

50. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 7, 2010, 14:37 justice7

Donkey_Punch wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 12:08:
Christians have injected and forced their beliefs upon everyone in North America by being active politically. Athiests just want to have equal protection as you fundies have made into law. Freedom of religion also means the freedom of not having shoved down our throats every waking minute (as it is now). We want the freedom of not having our children influenced by an evil, hateful, and corrupt religion.

Keep your nose out of my life and I will keep it out of yours. Try it some time.

Nothing like lumping every Christian into a single stereotype. One of the worlds largest religions, and you consider each one of them evil, hateful and corrupt (or at least the religion is that they subscribe to).

I normally don't bother to post to call someone out, but you sir are a Bigot.

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo