Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Dark Descent Demos

Frictional Games announces playable demos for Amnesia: The Dark Descent are now available on the Amnesia Website, offering samples of this upcoming first-person survival horror game. They also have a new trailer from the game that's a developer walkthrough showing physics interaction. The Windows demo is mirrored on AtomicGamer, Gamer's Hell, and WorthPlaying, the Linux demo is mirrored on AtomicGamer and Gamer's Hell, and the Mac demo is mirrored on AtomicGamer and Gamer's Hell. The game itself is now available for pre-purchase on Steam at a 20% discount.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 6, 2010, 16:53 Dan M

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 5, 2010, 11:08:
Granted the Demo is very short, less than 10 minutes even with exploring so maybe it was just all condensed for the demo, in reality the scares might be a lot more subtle

Yep, that's pretty much it. They have a post about the demo on their blog that explains how they put it together:

"However, it is still in some sense a hacked-up version of the "real thing" and misses a lot of the atmospheric build-up."

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2010/09/amnesia-demo-is-out.html

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 5, 2010, 11:10 eRe4s3r

Hey, thats even better

I am playing horror games on my ol calibrated 22" Crt So black in the game, is indeed pitch black on my screen. (queue rant over how crappy LCD's are)

20. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 5, 2010, 11:08 eRe4s3r

There is something to be argued about adrenaline and whether thats because you were scared or because the situation was just intense. In many ways the water level is not unlike a regular squad deathmatch in bfbc2 - there too you can get chased by evil campers with knives who run behind you and just wait till you stop, and whom you didn't notice at all.

Granted the Demo is very short, less than 10 minutes even with exploring so maybe it was just all condensed for the demo, in reality the scares might be a lot more subtle

19. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 5, 2010, 08:05 Eldaron Imotholin

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 22:16:
But why were you scared? You can throw random things so it moves away from you (don't tell me i am the only one who tried throwing a bible at it? (or the only one who noticed thats the kind of books that are in the shelves) :D), then just jump or sprint to the next box and thats it - the only part that was tricky is timing the throws of the bait with the turning of the wheel (you need at least 2 passes). And figuring out trick of course. The many crates do make it blatantly obvious though.

Found that part the least scary of all since there was a definitive safe zone logic there, once you realize that its not even horror anymore, as you have a 100% failsafe method to escape - jump on a crate. If the crates would dissolve once you are on , and the monster would only cause ripples and not splashes then that would be more scary...

I have to admit this is why i dislike horror games, often i analyze a situation by running into it without care once (and dieing from it, probably ,p) and then building a tactic to fit the reaction of the game. The best horror is the one that is unpredictable like the going insane thing, thats actually neat.

I figured all that out too. I also threw the bibles which didnt help, though throwing dead meat helped distracting.

The point that scared the hell out of me was running away from it while hearing it chasing me RIGhT behind me. And after that, I threw the flesh and then used the turning wheel for the gate but was too slow, so I heard it come back at me and I ducked through the gate and ran to the door that didnt push open but had to be pulled open. Realizing that got dispair running through my spine, and I died quickly after.

Those were the moments that scared me. Not the setting per se.

Besides, it's a matter of opinion about what horror is. But looking out for the unexpected was pretty scary too! It just didnt get my adrenaline pumping like it did at the water part.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

18. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 5, 2010, 02:33 Drayth

I put a box down next to the little wheel and just stood there and spun it in one pass.

The things that scared me most was stressing over running out of lamp oil. I have my monitor / brightness settings to a very "atmospheric level".

Cool demo.

17. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 22:16 eRe4s3r

But why were you scared? You can throw random things so it moves away from you (don't tell me i am the only one who tried throwing a bible at it? (or the only one who noticed thats the kind of books that are in the shelves) :D), then just jump or sprint to the next box and thats it - the only part that was tricky is timing the throws of the bait with the turning of the wheel (you need at least 2 passes). And figuring out trick of course. The many crates do make it blatantly obvious though.

Found that part the least scary of all since there was a definitive safe zone logic there, once you realize that its not even horror anymore, as you have a 100% failsafe method to escape - jump on a crate. If the crates would dissolve once you are on , and the monster would only cause ripples and not splashes then that would be more scary...

I have to admit this is why i dislike horror games, often i analyze a situation by running into it without care once (and dieing from it, probably ,p) and then building a tactic to fit the reaction of the game. The best horror is the one that is unpredictable like the going insane thing, thats actually neat.

16. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 21:33 Eldaron Imotholin

That water part was so toe-clenching scary I'm not sure if I enjoyed it or despised it. I truly haven't been so scared in years playing any game! At some point I just stiffened and let myself die.

PS: This comes from a guy who hasn't been scared of anything since Resident Evil 1.

Night night. 3:30 AM here. Zzz.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

15. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 20:43 tony

IGN has their review up ahead of the game's release. They gave it an 8.5/10 and an editor's choice award!  

14. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 17:11 Mark

Cram wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 09:41:
God damn f*cking water! $&@*&@#^$!
What's all the talk about water? Does anything jump out at you from the water?!11 Because when I was younger I used to have this recurring dream of something massive rising up from the sea as I stood on a beach. Analyze away if you want!

13. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 16:47 Mark

Cutter wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 11:29:
Eheheheheheehehehehehehe. That was scary, hee hee! Thanks for that, Mark. I'll have to try these demos now for sure.
I'm going to try it too, but only on a bright sunny afternoon.

12. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 15:25 A51Abductee

Just played the demo and it was fun and very scary. This game reminds me a lot of Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi from 2003.  

11. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 14:19 siapnar

gilly775 wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 12:15:
I agree with you. I can watch horror movies with no issues, but can't do the games. Clive Barker's Undying was one that I tried for 5 minutes and that was it.

Oh man, Undying is one of the best games I've ever played. Absolutely stellar when it came out

I have projectile dysfunction.

10. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 12:46 eRe4s3r

Except the violate a prime directive of story telling in horror games, relative distance.

Character makes noises when going insane or being scared, forced view at objects = absolute taboo. Distances audience from the game character, breaks immersion instantly, also breaks connection of "player thinks hes really there", makes the game not as scary as it could be. Penumbra Overture was better in this regard.

Its scary yes, but not masterful.

If you want to read up on where i get with relative distance, you should google up Bertold Brecht.

(The reason this is bad, is of course that any break of immersion is creating "critical" observers instead of immersed players.

9. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 12:15 gilly775

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 11:46:
I can't play these games, I get too tense and freaked out. Call me a wuss I guess.

I agree with you. I can watch horror movies with no issues, but can't do the games. Clive Barker's Undying was one that I tried for 5 minutes and that was it.

8. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 12:15 ASeven

Cram wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 09:41:

Game bought.

I think this game is going to make a lot of people fear treading in fucking water.

God damn, this game is even more scary than I hoped it would be, Frictional are going to become masters of horror at this pace.

7. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 11:46 StingingVelvet

I can't play these games, I get too tense and freaked out. Call me a wuss I guess.  

6. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 11:29 Cutter

Mark wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 03:41:
Watched a gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEHPwAvrc_U

Fuck that, I ain't playing that scary shit.

Eheheheheheehehehehehehe. That was scary, hee hee! Thanks for that, Mark. I'll have to try these demos now for sure.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 09:41 Cram

Game bought.

4. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 05:47 ASeven

Pre-ordered long ago but fuck, the demo is scary enough, I can't even imagine the whole game.  

3. Re: The Dark Descent Demos Sep 4, 2010, 03:41 Mark

Watched a gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEHPwAvrc_U

Fuck that, I ain't playing that scary shit.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo