Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Press Release

The official Duke Nukem Forever press release offers more details about the resumption of development of Duke Nukem Forever, which they say is due next year for PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. They have fun with the protracted development cycle of the shooter sequel, saying "Hail to the King! 2K Games Announces Duke Nukem Forever - Seriously Flying Pigs Spotted Heading Towards Penny Arcade Expo," and mention that it "was originally announced during the tail end of the Clinton Administration." The Duke Nukem Forever Website is live with forums and pointing the way to this page with info on how you might get to test the game at Gearbox's offices. Here's the DNF image that came with the announcement, and here's a bit:

Put on your sunglasses and prepare to step into the boots of Duke Nukem, whose legend has reached epic proportions in the years since his last adventure. The alien hordes are back and only Duke can save the world, again. Pig cops, alien shrink rays and enormous alien bosses won’t stop our hero from accomplishing his one and only goal: to save the world, save the babes and to be a bad-ass while doing it. The King of All Shooters is back with over-the-top weapons, massive aliens and unprecedented levels of interactivity. This game puts pedal to the metal and tongue firmly in cheek, among other places. Shoot hoops, lift weights, read adult magazines, draw crude messages on whiteboards or ogle one of the many beautiful women that populate Duke’s life; that is if you can pull yourself away long enough from kicking ass and taking names. Duke Nukem was and will forever be immortalized in gaming history, and this is his legend.

Also, another tidbit we noticed during the streaming coverage of the show is that the game will use a regenerating health system, or regenerating ego, as that is what the health in the game is called. Update: StingingVelvet notes the Duke website has the following footer: "Duke Nukem, the Duke Nukem nuclear symbol, Duke Nukem Forever, Gearbox Software and the Gearbox logo are registered trademarks of Gearbox Software, LLC in the U.S. and/or other countries and used here under license. All rights reserved."

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 7, 2010, 14:56 Stolk

Jerykk wrote on Sep 3, 2010, 23:41:
And using magic things that provide automatic "health" make much more sense.

Way to miss the point. This isn't about realism, it's about the depth of the mechanic. Regenerating health has no depth. You get shot, you take cover for a few seconds, boom, you're fully healed. There's no long-term consequence for getting hit so the only hit that matters is the one that kills you. This utterly ruins the intensity of firefights.

Conversely, with finite health systems, every hit counts. Take too many hits in one fight and you'll be at a disadvantage in the next. This promotes the development of actual skill, as players have to either become better at avoiding enemy fire or killing enemies more quickly.

Regenerating health is just lazy on behalf of the designers and players.

Anyway, back on topic, it's good to see Duke back. However, it's not so great to see that 360 is apparently the lead SKU.

Way to think I missed the point. Also, way to be dismissive.

Anyway, what do health packs and you have in common?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 4, 2010, 14:47 siapnar

NKD wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 14:07:
Duke doesn't have time to hide behind cover, and he just skullfucked your mother for suggesting that he would do so.

Lol

Reminds me of Predator

"I aint got time to bleed..."

I have projectile dysfunction.

50. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 4, 2010, 14:24 mag

Gearbox makes the worst games in the world.  

49. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 4, 2010, 14:07 NKD

Jerykk wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 05:37:
So, does this mean that health only regenerates after doing one of those specific actions? Or will it regenerate when he hides behind cover? If the latter is true, I don't really see how hiding behind cover qualifies as an ego boost.

Duke doesn't have time to hide behind cover, and he just skullfucked your mother for suggesting that he would do so.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

48. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 4, 2010, 13:55 Cthulhu

It's simple: All of the haters will continue to hate on DNF until it comes out then trash it after seeing it first hand...

Why?

Because it positively sucks to think you've been right for SO LONG, then all of a sudden the cold b!tch slap of reality comes in and smacks 'em all. Suddenly there's a real probability of all their post count inflating posts over the years ridiculing DNF coming back to bite them in their collective asses and it makes them crazy just thinking about it...

Jon St. John is going to be the voice of Duke again in DNF so at this point all I will say is: All Hail the King Baby, Duke is in the house!!

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
- Cthulhu fhtagn: 47°9'S, 126°43'W Cthulhu

47. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 4, 2010, 11:53 StingingVelvet

NKD wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 04:52:
I don't care what the "Waaah regenerating health!" crybabies say, that sounds fucking awesome.

Indeed it does.

46. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 4, 2010, 11:21 Prez

Verno wrote on Sep 3, 2010, 22:37:

I don't think I could bring myself to buy it if George gets any royalty money.

Exactly what I was thinking. You read my brain cell!

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

45. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 4, 2010, 07:59 Kajetan

NKD wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 04:52:
I don't care what the "Waaah regenerating health!" crybabies say, that sounds fucking awesome.
If said crybabies can keep on calling auto-heal-lovers lazy, stupid, skill-less fucks, yes, than you may find that as awesome as you like

44. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 4, 2010, 05:37 Jerykk

So, does this mean that health only regenerates after doing one of those specific actions? Or will it regenerate when he hides behind cover? If the latter is true, I don't really see how hiding behind cover qualifies as an ego boost.  

43. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 4, 2010, 04:52 NKD

ThatOtherGuy wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 04:24:
"In Duke Nukem Forever, Duke's "Health" is completely removed.

No longer will Duke scavenge medkits and armor scraps. No longer will being extra cautious in a tight spot help.
Instead, his very existence is powered by his own massive Ego.

A shotgun blast to Duke's face is nothing compared to the disgrace he just suffered from the scumbag who shot him.
Only a just and fatal retribution could bring Duke's spirits back up.

By pulverizing enemies, gallivanting with the local ladies, having happy thoughts or taking a leak, Duke can repair his broken Ego.
Even more than that, by displaying his skills without suffering a scratch in a lasting battle, Duke can boost his Ego to 200%, have an Ego trip and ALL BETS ARE OFF.

When ALL BETS ARE OFF, Duke enters a brief fifteen seconds of nigh-invulnerability, enhanced physical traits and infinite ammo.
A whirlwind of destruction and boot prints, Duke has a chance to lay waste to anything around him in any way he pleases.
Regular cannon fodder don't stand a chance against this self-absorbed Duke Nukem, but only Duke at his peak performance could stand against the baddest of the bad."

It's a continuation of the system in Duke Manhattan Project.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

42. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 4, 2010, 04:24 ThatOtherGuy

"In Duke Nukem Forever, Duke's "Health" is completely removed.

No longer will Duke scavenge medkits and armor scraps. No longer will being extra cautious in a tight spot help.
Instead, his very existence is powered by his own massive Ego.

A shotgun blast to Duke's face is nothing compared to the disgrace he just suffered from the scumbag who shot him.
Only a just and fatal retribution could bring Duke's spirits back up.

By pulverizing enemies, gallivanting with the local ladies, having happy thoughts or taking a leak, Duke can repair his broken Ego.
Even more than that, by displaying his skills without suffering a scratch in a lasting battle, Duke can boost his Ego to 200%, have an Ego trip and ALL BETS ARE OFF.

When ALL BETS ARE OFF, Duke enters a brief fifteen seconds of nigh-invulnerability, enhanced physical traits and infinite ammo.
A whirlwind of destruction and boot prints, Duke has a chance to lay waste to anything around him in any way he pleases.
Regular cannon fodder don't stand a chance against this self-absorbed Duke Nukem, but only Duke at his peak performance could stand against the baddest of the bad."

It's a continuation of the system in Duke Manhattan Project.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2010, 04:45.

41. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 4, 2010, 00:18 NKD

kxmode wrote on Sep 3, 2010, 23:58:
So does this mean all those that preorder back in 1990s can get it for 1990's prices?

I recall paying $50 for Duke 3D, unless my memory is shaky.

40. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 3, 2010, 23:58 Kxmode

So does this mean all those that preorder back in 1990s can get it for 1990's prices?  

39. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 3, 2010, 23:58 NKD

Jerykk wrote on Sep 3, 2010, 23:41:
Anyway, back on topic, it's good to see Duke back. However, it's not so great to see that 360 is apparently the lead SKU.

Yeah I thought the Nintendo 64 was the lead SKU still. How times have changed.

38. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 3, 2010, 23:41 Jerykk

And using magic things that provide automatic "health" make much more sense.

Way to miss the point. This isn't about realism, it's about the depth of the mechanic. Regenerating health has no depth. You get shot, you take cover for a few seconds, boom, you're fully healed. There's no long-term consequence for getting hit so the only hit that matters is the one that kills you. This utterly ruins the intensity of firefights.

Conversely, with finite health systems, every hit counts. Take too many hits in one fight and you'll be at a disadvantage in the next. This promotes the development of actual skill, as players have to either become better at avoiding enemy fire or killing enemies more quickly.

Regenerating health is just lazy on behalf of the designers and players.

37. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 3, 2010, 22:50 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Sep 3, 2010, 22:37:

Unfortunately... he probably will get some. I mean, we don't know how the actual transaction was paid for... we only know that Gearbox now owns the IP. Also, the game was "almost done" when they let their developers go.

The point is... the IP is out of George and Scott's hands now.
(Which is what most of us hoped would happen, back when Take Two was first suing 3DRealms)

So while they'll get some money out of a game they had maybe 80% completed... that's all they'll ever get from this IP ever again. (Unless they have some stupid clause to still get royalties from the old shit)

36. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 3, 2010, 22:37 Verno

I don't know... A "Smart-Ass-Elvis-Clint-Arnold" is still a fairly entertaining character... even in today's "pussified politically correct society". (In some ways, refreshingly anti-politically correct)

A fair point

If it's not a consolized piece of shit... I'll buy it. /shrug

That said... I still think George needs to be beaten within an inch of his life, with a rubber hose, by a "musclebound grotesque" With hope... he'll take his Duke IP money and never come back to the Gaming Industry. (Fingers Crossed)

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

35. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 3, 2010, 22:30 AngryMax

wtf_man wrote on Sep 3, 2010, 22:17:
I don't know... A "Smart-Ass-Elvis-Clint-Arnold" is still a fairly entertaining character... even in today's "pussified politically correct society". (In some ways, refreshingly anti-politically correct)

All I know is I was going to totally boycott the game for the 12+ years of prick teasing... But now that George and Scott no longer own the IP (And they've unfortunately already got their money)... I won't feel bad to shell out some money for Gearbox / Take Two.

That said... I still think George needs to be beaten within an inch of his life, with a rubber hose, by a "musclebound grotesque" With hope... he'll take his Duke IP money and never come back to the Gaming Industry. (Fingers Crossed)

(Ok, I stole that last name calling bit from Demolition Man)

Thanks for saying everything i wanted to say, and doing a better job at it.

Also i am completely out of sarcasm juice when it comes to this title.

34. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 3, 2010, 22:17 wtf_man

All I know is I was going to totally boycott the game for the 12+ years of prick teasing... But now that George and Scott no longer own the IP (And they've unfortunately already got their money)... I won't feel bad to shell out some money for Gearbox / Take Two.

(Ok, I stole that last name calling bit from Demolition Man)

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2010, 22:25.

33. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 3, 2010, 21:33 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 3, 2010, 20:56:
Have you seen the hype and stories all over the net today? I think Duke still has a lot of media presence.

Faulty logic for that assumption. It's the longest running vaporware in the videogame industry, of course its going to get press play on industry sites. That doesn't mean it's going to sell 5 million copies to JoeHalo player who has never even seen Duke3d. The PC version might move units based on its older demographic who actually know what Duke is. It remains to be seen what they can do about the consoles, especially when console release windows are so competitive these days.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo