Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Linux Port Plans?

A job listing on the Valve Website for a Senior Software Engineer has an interesting item listed among the responsibilities for the position suggesting Valve is looking to support Linux gaming, even if they recently denied they were working on a Linux Steam port. The listing includes the following: "Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform." Thanks Ant via Tech Drive-in/Linux Today.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Yay! Sep 3, 2010, 09:37 KilgoreTrout

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I would probably love to go Linux, even though I think Windows 7 works great. But I like the philosophy and customizability of Linux.

It's just that it's not entirely my decision. My clients require Outlook support (is there any app with full compatibility regarding scheduling/appointments etc?) and I need to be able to send, receive and work on psd:s and Illustrator files, since they are the defacto standard. I suspect the compatibility of the apps you list is not 100%. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Agree on Adobe prices, they are ridiculous.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Valve Linux Port Plans? Sep 3, 2010, 03:58 DanteUK

Certainly good news.
I played and completed Portal the other day, on Kubuntu, using wine.
No problems at all. Very playable, decent resolution and all. Strange thing was I later tried it on an XP machine and it crashed leaving the first room!

7. Re: Valve Linux Port Plans? Sep 2, 2010, 19:23 Trashy

Some people forgot they already ported it once back in 2003.
http://www.fileplanet.com/126568/120000/fileinfo/Steam-v2.0-Beta-Client-%5BLinux%5D
This version only allowed people to download dedicated servers.

It would be great to see desktop linux games to be ported, but I have a feeling this will job will be for porting games to the mobile market.

6. Re: Yay! Sep 2, 2010, 19:17 UConnBBall

Visual Studio? Just use the million development tools on Linux. If you want C3 it's called Mono
Outlook = Evolution or my favorite is KMail
Adobe is way to expensive - I now use Inkscape and Krita and Gimp even though I have had access to Adobe Creative Suite 3 and I finished the project with those programs and Audacity. It's just what you get use to.

I am so excited for Linux support for steam but it might not be for Source It might be just for server support or the games that already have a Linux port i.e. Altitude and Galcom to name a few.

-Marc

5. Re: Yay! Sep 2, 2010, 18:46 KilgoreTrout

Yeah, apart from the games they only need to port the Adobe Creative Suite and Outlook (unfortunately) and Visual Studio and I'm good to go! No? Oh.  

4. Re: Valve Linux Port Plans? Sep 2, 2010, 18:41 yuastnav

I am not sure but hasn't that been there for some years?  

3. Re: Valve Linux Port Plans? Sep 2, 2010, 18:35 elefunk

Makes sense to not bother porting the Steam client until they determine it's feasible to actually port the Source Engine and all of their games over there.  

2. Re: Valve Linux Port Plans? Sep 2, 2010, 18:00 bhcompy

Steam isn't a game, so technically they aren't lying  

1. Yay! Sep 2, 2010, 17:20 joe2tiger

Awesome! Another reason given for us to use Ubuntu more often. I have it as a dual boot, but almost never boot into Linux because I am a gamer.  

Carl Sagan wrote:
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo