Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight

The FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test Application Website announces beta testing of the FINAL FANTASY MMORPG is getting underway tonight, so the beta setback was not as severe as all that (thanks Viper114). Word is:

We would like to take this opportunity to provide an update regarding FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test, which was announced to be postponed on Aug. 31, 2010.

Along with the completion on investigation and correction of the critical issue, we have decided to begin FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test on Sep. 1, 2010 at 19:00 (PDT).

Starting on Sep. 1, 2010 at 19:00 (PDT), acquisition of registration code required for FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test will be available.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 13:26 NKD

Verno wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 11:55:
That's awesome, they spent resources hunting down people violating NDA instead of maybe listening to the community feedback or investing back into some motherfucking UI development. That is the Square I remember from the FFXI days. Fuck this game, I'm done.

Yeah Square has a very old school development philosophy where the "developer knows best." They don't really listen to "community feedback." They just make the game they want to make and if people like it, they'll buy it, and if they don't, they don't.

Unfortunately, unlike companies like Blizzard, Square has figured out that most people who complain will still play, and more importantly, still pay. So why bother fixing anything unless it's actually hurting their bottom line?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 12:55 sauron

Verno wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 11:55:
That is the Square I remember from the FFXI days. Fuck this game, I'm done.

I think every longtime NA FFXI player would give this comment a hearty 'AMEN!'

Except the addicts, of course. Sadly, there are still a lot of them out there that play it 8 or more hours a day.

Kittens!

19. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 11:55 Verno

That's awesome, they spent resources hunting down people violating NDA instead of maybe listening to the community feedback or investing back into some motherfucking UI development. That is the Square I remember from the FFXI days. Fuck this game, I'm done.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

18. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 11:31 necrosis

Verno wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 10:45:
I managed to sneak in somehow. Good lord this is fucking AWFUL. The UI is floaty and laggy as shit. This is possibly the most barebones console ported UI I've ever seen. I wish some of you in closed beta had prepared the rest of us. You can't even drag and drop skills to the hotbar. The game is the other extreme from WoW in terms of giving the player direction. Go find BobNPC. Ok but its a pretty big fucking city. I don't need a trail to Bob but maybe "go find Bob in the market" or something at least? That's all I've done so far, more to follow later but I doubt further exposure to beta will be positive. In fact I see myself uninstalling this later and lamenting the time wasted just trying to get into the beta. Really frustrating because the world itself is immersive and gorgeous, the combat far better than FFXI but jesus the interface really ruins it.

And the servers just went down I think, sigh. Screw this game.
NDA prevented us form saying anything and SE was strictly enforcing it. Booting anyone instantly if they were able to ID you.

17. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 11:17 sauron

Verno wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 10:45:
I managed to sneak in somehow. Good lord this is fucking AWFUL. The UI is floaty and laggy as shit. This is possibly the most barebones console ported UI I've ever seen. I wish some of you in closed beta had prepared the rest of us. You can't even drag and drop skills to the hotbar. The game is the other extreme from WoW in terms of giving the player direction. Go find BobNPC. Ok but its a pretty big fucking city. I don't need a trail to Bob but maybe "go find Bob in the market" or something at least? That's all I've done so far, more to follow later but I doubt further exposure to beta will be positive. In fact I see myself uninstalling this later and lamenting the time wasted just trying to get into the beta. Really frustrating because the world itself is immersive and gorgeous, the combat far better than FFXI but jesus the interface really ruins it.

My issues in the short time I was in the closed beta were a) hardware requirements are too high on the PC and b) the interface was utterly f***ing horrible.

I think if you have a good setup and give yourself time to get used to the UI it will probably be ok, but that's asking a lot given that WoW has very low hardware requirements and a UI that's very user-friendly.

Kittens!

16. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 10:45 Verno

15. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 10:43 Ant

LOL. http://entry.ffxiv.com/busy/ shows server error now. Good job!

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2010, 10:52.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 10:00 commonperson

I agree, I was in Alpha and Closed Beta and now I'm being expected to reapply which is lame. I've been in dozens of betas and I've never had to do this. I don't expect things, I don't expect perfection but I expect competence which doesn't seem to be possible at all with SE.  

13. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 09:22 Verno

They don't listen to the NA/RoW customers, they only listen to the Japanese community. It's always been that way and I doubt it will change any time soon. They've always been scornful and ignorant of what other regions want.  

12. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 09:15 necrosis

Verno wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 09:11:
SE proving that they are completely incapable of running a MMO. To to someone like me who played FFXI for 8 years this should be nothing new.

Imagine how bad this will be on launch day when there is also payment systems and stuff to contend with. They are totally helpless with MMO games, its unbelievable that they still haven't learned anything almost eight years after FFXI.
I dont know if you were in the alpha/beta or not but man. The Alpha code ran better. I couldent play the beta for MONTHS because SE refused to acknowledge a serious install issue tons of people were bitching about that did not allow them to INSTALL the game.

Later I found out that the did fix it, told no one, and never updated the 117MB package you have to DL from the site to get the rest of the game. I didnt get it to work till i got the updated files from a local friend that got it to install.

11. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 09:11 Verno

SE proving that they are completely incapable of running a MMO. To to someone like me who played FFXI for 8 years this should be nothing new.

Imagine how bad this will be on launch day when there is also payment systems and stuff to contend with. They are totally helpless with MMO games, its unbelievable that they still haven't learned anything almost eight years after FFXI.

10. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 09:10 necrosis

SE tells us closed beta testers that will be in every beta.
Then they say on the site if you were in the closed beta they would auto send keys.

BOTH MASSIVE LIES.

Now the applications are suspended because "the secure server is overloaded". Funny, I can log in with no issues? And what dumb fuck decided to but the "suspended" notice AFTER logging in? Put that shit on the pain page and remove the application button!

At this point I really hope FFXIV crashes and burns. HARD.

9. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 09:10 Verno

Probably the worst beta application process ever invented.

First make your stupid Square-Enix ID. An hour passes...

Possibly convert your Square-Enix ID to something else because they changed the ID system (again)...

Click Apply to Open Beta, stare at Server is Busy messages for 5 minutes

Try again later, success! You're asked to sign in to your Square-Enix ID (again?)

Click "Add a service" and click FF14, it asks for a code that you don't have because....they never emailed it.

Logout, start over in the hopes that the code goes through this time and you see...

Beta is temporarily closed.

Fail.

8. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 01:15 NKD

ASJD wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 00:10:
What a joke. What a fucking joke.

Never tried getting into an open beta in the first few hours before have you? Not only is this not a joke, but it is in fact par for the course.

Anyway, I managed to get a key and get a character made but the login servers are still hammered so I logged out to tweak my graphics settings and couldn't get back in.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

7. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 00:20 Baconslicer

I just got a connection through, and....

Applications for the FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test have been temporarily suspended. Please wait until we are ready to accept new applications and then try again.

6. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 00:10 Kobalt

ASJD wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 00:10:

u

5. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 00:10 ASJD

4. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 1, 2010, 23:16 NKD

Servers are violently raped. Managed to get my key and get my account authorized and what-not, but logging in is a no-go.  

3. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 1, 2010, 22:38 Baconslicer

No luck getting in for me; the servers are pretty well hammered at the moment (19:30 PDT). I shouldn't have expected otherwise, really...  

2. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 1, 2010, 21:44 Acleacius

Gtk, keep us informed, it defiantly looks interesting.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo