Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EverQuest II XP Bonus

The EverQuest II Website announces this will be a double XP weekend for EverQuest II and EverQuest II: Extended (thanks Voodoo Extreme). Word is:

This coming weekend, from 10:00 am PDT on Friday, September 3rd, until 10:00 am PDT on Tuesday, September 7th, we will be running a true Double XP promotion (+100% XP).

The bonus applies to AA, tradeskill and adventure experience gained this weekend. Our French, German, Japanese, Test and EQ2 Extended servers will also be enjoying the increase in XP gain.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: EverQuest II Sep 2, 2010, 20:08 Killswitch

Ant wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 19:58:
Or like hardcore in Diablo 2. :)

LOL Yeah.. No, I can't see myself playing an MMORPG like that. I think there's been one or two games over the years I've seen mention it, although I'm not sure if any actually released with it implemented. I don't even like the sound of full loot PVP games like Mortal Online. What's the point!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: EverQuest II Sep 2, 2010, 19:58 Ant

zerobytes wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 19:51:
Carcifier wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 01:15:
The real problem arises on large raids. I can recall several times dying on a raid and being unable to get my body back.

Yeah, hadn't really considered that.. but you couldn't have a necro summon? I think summon corpse was a fairly high level spell and required a somewhat expensive reagent.

I really liked how death was something to be feared in EQ1 and I wish there was that same element in modern games. I guess that's wishful thinking since even EQ1 got rid of it.
Or like hardcore in Diablo 2.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

16. Re: EverQuest II Sep 2, 2010, 19:51 Killswitch

Carcifier wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 01:15:
The real problem arises on large raids. I can recall several times dying on a raid and being unable to get my body back.

Yeah, hadn't really considered that.. but you couldn't have a necro summon? I think summon corpse was a fairly high level spell and required a somewhat expensive reagent.

I really liked how death was something to be feared in EQ1 and I wish there was that same element in modern games. I guess that's wishful thinking since even EQ1 got rid of it.

15. Re: EverQuest II XP Bonus Sep 2, 2010, 19:43 Cheese

just found out you can purchase xtra classes and races, now im sporting a necro DE.

Peace

14. Re: EverQuest II Sep 2, 2010, 01:15 Carcifier

zerobytes wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 19:54:
Yeah, I played EQ1 around the time when it was first released and resubbed several times over the years. I've never lost my corpse--always ran back to it.

The real problem arises on large raids. I can recall several times dying on a raid and being unable to get my body back. The worse was probably when I was playing my ShadowKnight and I was the MT for the raid, fighting the dragon Lady Vox in a public raid.

We wiped. I was under Lady Vox's belly stabbing her with a magical pitch fork. Heh. You can't just go back in to a dragon's lair and say "Hey, can I loot my body and you look the other way?" [No rogues were able to drag bodies out]

We had to wait hours to recruit a second raid party. They killed the dragon so we could get our stuff back. The whole encounter took the better part of the day. It was a complete nightmare. I couldn't risk losing all of my Plane of Fear armor. Sigh.

zerobytes wrote:
I haven't gotten around to really trying EQ2X yet, but I did load it up. I was surprised at how well the "download content as you play" works. I thought I was going to have to spend several hours downloading the client until I would be able to do anything, but it literally look me less than a minute before I could click the play button and begin character creation. Last time I tried LOTRO, I spent over 24 hours downloading the client.

Excellent point. Sony deserves credit for creating a very cool small client that allows you to play immediately. There's like 11+ Gb of content, but you can play right away with no negative consequences. I was impressed too.

13. Re: EverQuest II Sep 1, 2010, 19:54 Killswitch

Carcifier wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 15:46:
I still can't believe how much crap I put up with losing gear in the original game and all the headaches resulting from the idiotic death and exp penalties.

Yeah, I played EQ1 around the time when it was first released and resubbed several times over the years. I've never lost my corpse--always ran back to it. Once I couldn't find it and had a necro summon it for me. I lost a lot of time on corpse runs though. Sometimes bound extremely far from where I died and having to wait for a boat too.

From what I understand, it isn't like that any more and they made the game much easier. You can get the items from your corpse through shrines. They have portals instead of waiting for the boats. Fast regen. These are all things I've heard through other people as I haven't actually played it for quite a number of years. I loaded it up for a few minutes when they offered some free game time, but I just couldn't bring myself to do much. Doesn't look like they improved the terrible interface--either that or I couldn't find the option to switch to a better UI. heh

The restrictions seem quite fair to me. The only one that is bothersome to me so far, is not being able sell stuff in the auction house.

Must be difficult to make money if you can't use the AH. I tried to use the OOC channel and couldn't with free account.

I haven't gotten around to really trying EQ2X yet, but I did load it up. I was surprised at how well the "download content as you play" works. I thought I was going to have to spend several hours downloading the client until I would be able to do anything, but it literally look me less than a minute before I could click the play button and begin character creation. Last time I tried LOTRO, I spent over 24 hours downloading the client.

Doesn't look like they let you transfer your F2P character to a pay server if you ever decide to sub. I thought that was the whole idea of it, but I see now it's all about a totally separate game relying on micro-transactions.

12. Re: EverQuest II Sep 1, 2010, 15:46 Carcifier

I actually like this game a lot.

I played the original EQ for a bit, had 2 level 54 characters then quit after the second expansion. I played WOW for 2 years after launch. I never played EQ II though.

Since it was free, I tried it and am impressed. Maybe I'll reach a point where the free account sucks, but I don't see that happening yet. It's fun, it's free, the graphics still look good. I know ALL the EQ lore so it's super easy for me to understand the world.

The restrictions seem quite fair to me. The only one that is bothersome to me so far, is not being able sell stuff in the auction house.

It'd be nice to play some of the classes I played in the original EQ too. I can't complain though. It's too bad the original EQ wasn't as user friendly as EQ II is. It's definitely been "WOWised".

I still can't believe how much crap I put up with losing gear in the original game and all the headaches resulting from the idiotic death and exp penalties.

11. Re: EverQuest II XP Bonus Sep 1, 2010, 14:46 Longswd

sauron wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 08:30:
For F2P I'd go with Atlantica Online, or the upcoming LOTRO F2P which arrives next week. Atlantica is already established, and the existing version of LOTRO is very solid and really a lot of fun.

LOTRO already has a pretty bad gold seller spam problem, at least it did last time I played which wasn't too long ago. Talking to some people in Vanguard that still play said it hasn't changed. I can only imagine how bad it's going to become once the client goes free *shudder*

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

10. Re: EverQuest II XP Bonus Sep 1, 2010, 12:28 Muscular Beaver

I tried to play it with normal subscription 2 months ago. I played for maybe 3 days and noticed how bad of a WoW wannabe it has become. There was almost nothing left of the once great atmosphere. Also it was pretty much deserted with almost no chance to find people who would play with a new player.
However, if you finally met someone, they were generally friendly and seemed like angels when compared to the preteen (or wannabe) douches in WoW.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

9. Re: EverQuest II XP Bonus Sep 1, 2010, 10:53 Cheese

Extended is great, full content. you just dont have full class or race selection, so what who cares, its still free and the graphics aged well. best F2P game out atm.  

8. Re: EverQuest II XP Bonus Sep 1, 2010, 08:31 Bludd

The subscriber matrix is just crap. Too many restrictions. I hope they change it. They should encourage people to go Silver, but as of now it is no real benefit for doing that (3 char slots and shared bank? so what? I'm a one char kind of guy).  

7. Re: EverQuest II XP Bonus Sep 1, 2010, 08:30 sauron

I tried EQ2 Extended for a few hours, but found that the graphics haven't aged well and the setting was too high fantasy for me. Plus it just didn't run well on my system, even though the system is pretty new.

For F2P I'd go with Atlantica Online, or the upcoming LOTRO F2P which arrives next week. Atlantica is already established, and the existing version of LOTRO is very solid and really a lot of fun.

Kittens!

6. Re: EverQuest II XP Bonus Sep 1, 2010, 01:48 Kobalt

zerobytes wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 21:56:
Too many restrictions?

To say the least. Not to mention, it's a giant rip off. Note that to get rid a lot of restrictions you have to pay the same monthly fee as the regular servers..AND still have to pay to unlock classes/races.

But that's why F2P is becoming so popular, dumb people go in thinking it's great a free mmo. End up paying more in the end because to get a decent experience you have to pay out the ass.

5. Re: EverQuest II XP Bonus Sep 1, 2010, 01:27 Ant

I will wait for the game to go free.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

4. Re: EverQuest II XP Bonus Sep 1, 2010, 01:02 AnarKane

I still play, it's still going pretty good. I'm still a couple expansions behind in content, but I'm still having fun with it.  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

3. Re: EverQuest II XP Bonus Aug 31, 2010, 21:56 Killswitch

Acleacius wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 21:34:
Uninstalled this after trying the first weekend of f2p, maybe the worst f2p plan ever.

What didn't you like about it? Too many restrictions? I actually thought the F2P players were on the same servers as the paid players, but I can see that's not the case after reading this wiki. I might still spend a day downloading it to play it for a few hours and see what I'm NOT missing.

2. Re: EverQuest II XP Bonus Aug 31, 2010, 21:34 Killswitch

Does anyone still play this? I did my typical 3-4 week thing some years back where I lose interest before I even get out of the free trial. Tempted to install it since it's free and see how it runs on better hardware. I remember the graphics looking pretty good at full settings, but it was totally unplayable. I think I had to play at somewhat minimal settings for acceptable frame rate.

A lot of people liked the crafting mini-game. Just made crafting seem like an even bigger waste of time than the typical "press combine" deal to me. I think I would have preferred the EQ1 crafting interface over it. lol

1. Re: EverQuest II XP Bonus Aug 31, 2010, 21:34 Acleacius

Uninstalled this after trying the first weekend of f2p, maybe the worst f2p plan ever.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo