Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mafia II DLC Next Week

2K Games announces plans to release the previously announced Jimmy’s Vendetta DLC for Mafia II next week on September 7, adding new content to the open-world crime game sequel for $9.99 USD/800 Microsoft Points. We have some new Jimmy’s Vendetta screenshots, and here's word on what this adds to the game: "Jimmy’s Vendetta takes players into an alternate perspective of the mob through the eyes of Jimmy, the guy the other guys call when they need to finish the job. Players will get their hands dirty helping Jimmy clean up other people’s messes as they deal with the Italian and Irish mobsters that reside in Empire Bay. As players progress, a slew of new quests are unlocked, including assassination and timed vehicle pursuits ending in dramatic shootouts and explosive car chases. Execute with deadly head shots or charged explosives, and rack up points for precision-timed vehicular power slides, lofty jumps, and supercharged velocity. Multipliers and combos add bonus points to overall scores that will be immediately posted to the new online leaderboard system, providing extensive re-playability as players work to rise to the top of the ranks."

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Sep 7, 2010, 07:19 Verno

Still, those people should just say "not really my kind of game" like I do Madden or Zelda, rather than say the game is a piece of shit because it's a linear 14 hour immersive experience, which is all it was ever meant to be.

People can be into the type of game Mafia II is without actually liking Mafia II. Knife

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Sep 1, 2010, 10:25 StingingVelvet

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 10:13:
I completely agree with you here. It does feel like a time-warp. But what was great 6 years ago isn't automatically great today. Sadly the only major thing improved in the time-warp is graphics. The story is worse if not entirely boring. The story evolves around the dons while you hardly ever see them.

My fears from the demo proved to be correct. I only played the game to finish the story (ergo I was happy the credits finally rolled), but knew after chapter 3 that I've seen it all. You shoot, you take cover, you drive.

And I can see all your points. I'm not being an irrational defender of Mafia 2, I can see why a lot of people would not like the game. I'm glad there are games like this though, even if they aren't for everyone... for someone like me who values immersion and story above most other things it is a wonderful title, the same as the original. If people liked the original I can't imagine a more faithful sequel.

For people looking for gameplay above all else, sandbox style missions or non-linear gameplay though, I can see why they would dislike Mafia 2. I don't argue that point.

Still, those people should just say "not really my kind of game" like I do Madden or Zelda, rather than say the game is a piece of shit because it's a linear 14 hour immersive experience, which is all it was ever meant to be.

37. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Sep 1, 2010, 10:13 Eldaron Imotholin

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 07:24:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 03:47:
Mafia 2 is 14 hours long and feels complete though. It doesn't matter what was done at release or planned 6 months before, it only matters that the main game feels complete, and Mafia 2 does (for people who realize it's a linear game anyway).

I don't think I can agree with that. Mafia 1 at least had the Free Ride mode (or Free Roam or whatever) that offered extra missions. Mafia 2 has nothing. In fact, it seems like this DLC is the equivalent of the Free Ride mode in Mafia 1. I think I'll just wait until the GotY edition comes out with all the DLC before buying the game, since it's pretty clear that this DLC was originally part of the game.

I don't remember free ride having missions in the first one, I remember it being pointless. You could collect cars and shit, but you can do the same thing in Mafia 2. And no, it's not clear it was part of the game, that's a completely unsupported hypothesis.

Mafia 2 is so exactly similar to Mafia it almost feels like a time-warp, yet people seem surprised by its mechanics and length.

I completely agree with you here. It does feel like a time-warp. But what was great 6 years ago isn't automatically great today. Sadly the only major thing improved in the time-warp is graphics. The story is worse if not entirely boring. The story evolves around the dons while you hardly ever see them.

My fears from the demo proved to be correct. I only played the game to finish the story (ergo I was happy the credits finally rolled), but knew after chapter 3 that I've seen it all. You shoot, you take cover, you drive.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

36. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Sep 1, 2010, 07:24 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 03:47:
Mafia 2 is 14 hours long and feels complete though. It doesn't matter what was done at release or planned 6 months before, it only matters that the main game feels complete, and Mafia 2 does (for people who realize it's a linear game anyway).

I don't think I can agree with that. Mafia 1 at least had the Free Ride mode (or Free Roam or whatever) that offered extra missions. Mafia 2 has nothing. In fact, it seems like this DLC is the equivalent of the Free Ride mode in Mafia 1. I think I'll just wait until the GotY edition comes out with all the DLC before buying the game, since it's pretty clear that this DLC was originally part of the game.

I don't remember free ride having missions in the first one, I remember it being pointless. You could collect cars and shit, but you can do the same thing in Mafia 2. And no, it's not clear it was part of the game, that's a completely unsupported hypothesis.

Mafia 2 is so exactly similar to Mafia it almost feels like a time-warp, yet people seem surprised by its mechanics and length.

35. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Sep 1, 2010, 03:47 Jerykk

34. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 23:40 Elessar

StingingVelvet wrote:
It's all about what it is worth to people.
NKD wrote:
On the contrary. I buy what I want to buy, when I want to buy it. If I don't want to buy it, I don't. I don't tell others what they should and should not buy, or play politics with my games.
Speaking of rabbling, you two are missing the point entirely. I'm not suggesting you value products as I do, so you can quit stomping your feet about that. If you'd read, I'm not talking about the DLC's worth, rather it's exclusion from the game that could of used it. It's the principal issue I have about charging for DLC on a game that was released 7 days ago. And my amazement at the people willing to support this extortion so passionately.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2010, 23:45.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

33. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 21:53 space captain

some people are seriously defensive about this game and any DLC related to it or DLC in general...

its okay - yes, you are all chumps, but dont worry - most people are as well, so you have lots of friends to relate to.. and you can all be happy little chumps together

Go forth, and kill!

32. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 20:51 StingingVelvet

cronik wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 20:24:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 19:35:
All the people bitching about the ending, I don't really get it. It's not a to be continued, and Vito's story will not be continued in DLC. It's a good ending, it's about him losing what he lost.

It's a horrible ending and it leaves you wondering whether it was a cliffhanger or not. The omg wow fantastic ending of the original Mafia was in another league in comparison.

Again, not every story needs to end with a tidy bow tied around it... Mafia 2's ending works extremely well if you paid attention and knew the themes. I don't know what else to tell you.

The DLC packs are confirmed as the two Jimmy ones and a Joe pack, nothing extending the main story which, if I know 2K Chezch, they would never mess with or extend.

31. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 20:47 Creston

Hey, do you guys think you could put your rants and raves / defense about the ending in some secret text, maybe?

You know, for those who haven't actually finished the damn game yet.

Creston

30. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 20:24 cronik

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 19:35:
All the people bitching about the ending, I don't really get it. It's not a to be continued, and Vito's story will not be continued in DLC. It's a good ending, it's about him losing what he lost.

It's a horrible ending and it leaves you wondering whether it was a cliffhanger or not. The omg wow fantastic ending of the original Mafia was in another league in comparison.

29. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 19:56 starmonkey

tuddies wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 16:52:
The story is tight - the quality is AAA. The world is so well-conceived that it begs for more content and the ability to continue to interact with it. Free roam DLC where you rise in the ranks of a crime family would be absolute GOLD!

Sounds like that should have been what the original game was.

28. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 19:35 StingingVelvet

cronik wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 19:04:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 16:22:

Mafia 2 is 14 hours long and feels complete though.

Bullshit. How anyone can play through Mafia 2 and not feel short changed at the end of it is beyond me. It seems there's a lot of gamers around here not only willing to accept mediocrity but also praise it. Well, you lot can can have at your mediocrity but I won't be going anywhere near any DLC.

Mafia 2 has a lot of shortcomings and it deserves to be vilified on them.

OMG GOODFELLAS WASN'T COMPLETE BECAUSE RAY LIOTA IS ONLY 35 YEARS OLD WHEN IT ENDS!! INCOMPLETE DLC SETUP TRASH! ARG!

It's like none of you ever saw an artistic ending before that effects the character rather than kill him.

27. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 19:22 GarrettTX1

C'mon you Mamalukes - it's the price of a nice canolli or pizza pie....forgetaboudit!  

26. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 19:04 FU

Already? this was purposely held back. I'll pass. make a buck off the next chumped  

25. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 19:04 cronik

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 16:22:

Mafia 2 is 14 hours long and feels complete though.

Bullshit. How anyone can play through Mafia 2 and not feel short changed at the end of it is beyond me. It seems there's a lot of gamers around here not only willing to accept mediocrity but also praise it. Well, you lot can can have at your mediocrity but I won't be going anywhere near any DLC.

Mafia 2 has a lot of shortcomings and it deserves to be vilified on them.

24. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 18:36 NKD

Elessar wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 17:19:
So you're one of the drones who haphazardly tosses his money at these game companies.

On the contrary. I buy what I want to buy, when I want to buy it. If I don't want to buy it, I don't. I don't tell others what they should and should not buy, or play politics with my games.

If some DLC is worth $2.50 or $5 to me, that's my business. If you think it isn't worth yours, that's your business. But users should be given the choice.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

23. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 18:18 Eldaron Imotholin

The story is tight - the quality is AAA. The world is so well-conceived that it begs for more content and the ability to continue to interact with it. Free roam DLC where you rise in the ranks of a crime family would be absolute GOLD!

And let me guess, the DLC will consist of gameplay that includes: Driving from point A to B 60 times with some shooting and taking cover in the meantime.

That was rhetorical. Of course that's all it includes because that's all the mechanics have to offer. Thank you but I think I'll pass. It was ok while it lasted, which almost was too long.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

22. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 17:41 StingingVelvet

Elessar wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 17:19:
So you're one of the drones who haphazardly tosses his money at these game companies. If you can't see why the timing is horrible and why this shit should be included in a game that was just released (where people are complaining about the lack of side missions), then you're just one of the blind sheep who enables said companies.

I'm not against DLC and it's not the future, genius, it has been around for awhile now. I just think there's a right way and a wrong way to release DLC. I shouldn't have to explain further for you to understand the difference.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

It's all about what it is worth to people. If the 14 hour game isn't worth $50 to you then don't buy it. If the DLC isn't worth $10 to you then don't buy it. To some people it is, and you're just going to have to live with that.

I paid $60 just for the campaign mode of Modern Warfare 2, which was 4 hours long. I'm sure you think I'm an idiot, but I don't really give a fuck what you think.

21. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 17:28 Techie714 ©

What he said!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

20. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 17:27 siapnar

I'm sure the developers wanted to keep all the content in the retail release of Mafia 2, it's the publishers who wanted to take it out and milk it.  

I have projectile dysfunction.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo