Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Witcher 2 Interview

Working In 'A Dying Genre On A Dying Platform' on Gamasutra is the eye-grabbing title of an interview with Tomasz Gop, senior producer on The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings, CD Projekt Red's upcoming RPG sequel. They discuss how work on the sequel began immediately after the completion of the first game, the surprising success of the original The Witcher, their goals for the sequel, their redesigned combat system, the game's engine and tools, inspirations, the game's writing, and more. Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Sep 1, 2010, 07:05 Eldaron Imotholin

Jerykk wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 02:22:
*sigh* This is honestly the last game, plus Deus Ex Revolutions, that I have faith in. It's depressing.

http://www.amnesiagame.com/#main
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/25/a-blood-red-state-dead-state-revealed/
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/

There's more to gaming than big-budget mainstream games. Though, Portal 2 looks pretty sweet too.

Amnesia looks interesting but I'm afraid it's too much like Penumbra, which is a type of game that although it's good.. it can't keep me playing. I'm too stressed up for slow-pacing games nowadays.

Truly the two games I'm very much looking forward to are The Witcher 2 and The Sexy Men Revolution (why I name it that, watch hear the end of http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-deus-ex/703761 that trailer).

"The Sexy Men Revolution is going to be out in early 2011..."

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Sep 1, 2010, 02:22 Jerykk

*sigh* This is honestly the last game, plus Deus Ex Revolutions, that I have faith in. It's depressing.

http://www.amnesiagame.com/#main
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/25/a-blood-red-state-dead-state-revealed/
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/

There's more to gaming than big-budget mainstream games. Though, Portal 2 looks pretty sweet too.

19. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 18:35 space captain

Faith of consciousness is freedom
Faith of feeling is weakness
Faith of body is stupidity.

Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 18:21 Eldaron Imotholin

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

17. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 15:53 Overon

But now, they aim for the big money and are dumbing down the combat system for consoles and controllers and people, who don't want to think, when they are playing.
You are misinformed. The guy has repeatedly said in interviews that there are 2 main styles of fighting. There is an easy mode for those crpg players who don't like combat and a more actiony mode for combat.

16. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 09:55 sauron

The Witcher Enhanced Edition is the only game I've played recently that keeps me in my seat for just one more battle/quest/story when I should be going to bed.

Best RPG in a really long time. I hope the sequel is just as good.

Kittens!

15. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 09:41 NKD

Yeah uh, anything is better than the combat in the original game. Not exactly the high point of the game. In fact that was probably the worst part.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

14. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 08:49 Verno

They are "simplifying" the combat system, making it "faster" and more "action orientated", introducing quick time events (press Up, Down, Left, Left, Up, as shown on the screen) to "enhance" boss fights ...

They are making an already simple combat system a lot more simple, so that you can use a controller with the game. Out, out, damn pc-centric gameplay! Welcome, new and shiny multi-platform mediocrity!

I was very excited as i heard first from TW2. But after following several previews, videos and press events, it seems clear, that we don't get a "The Witcher 2", but a Gods of War clone with RPG elements.

The combat in the first game was so utterly simplistic that anything is a depth upgrade from it.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2010, 08:58.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

13. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 08:42 space captain

Kajetan wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 08:25:
it seems clear, that we don't get a "The Witcher 2", but a Gods of War clone with RPG elements.

i think you are overreacting

combat in witcher 1 sucked. period. it needed to change, and whatever it is now really cant be any worse than it was

also im willing to bet its gonna be a very broad and open RPG

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 08:25 Kajetan

peteham wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 05:18:
What are you on about?
They are "simplifying" the combat system, making it "faster" and more "action orientated", introducing quick time events (press Up, Down, Left, Left, Up, as shown on the screen) to "enhance" boss fights ...

They are making an already simple combat system a lot more simple, so that you can use a controller with the game. Out, out, damn pc-centric gameplay! Welcome, new and shiny multi-platform mediocrity!

I was very excited as i heard first from TW2. But after following several previews, videos and press events, it seems clear, that we don't get a "The Witcher 2", but a Gods of War clone with RPG elements.

11. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 05:18 peteham

Kajetan wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 03:36:
But now, they aim for the big money and are dumbing down the combat system for consoles and controllers and people, who don't want to think, when they are playing.
What are you on about? The combat system was one of the game's weakest points to begin with. You had a minimal amount of skills, and it mainly consisted of picking the right type of sword and the right form.

Or "later" on, with maxed Igni: Just nuke everyone in front of you with the click of a button. Kind of ironic given that it was accompanied by a spell-effect that resembled someone blowing dying embers through a straw...

10. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 04:12 Esoteric

I freely admit that the combat wasn't the best it could be. But to me, the FEEL of the game felt like a real RPG, and that counts a lot for me. It wasn't consolized, it didn't feel "slick" to make a buck, it didn't feel....artificial, I guess. That goes a long way with me, personally.  

9. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 03:58 Flatline

Kajetan wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 03:36:
Esoteric wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 02:35:
You can see they're real gamers, and that they understand their niche.

Maybe, maybe not. I wasn't a huge fan of the time-based click combat of the first. I wouldn't mind seeing it change.

That being said, I enjoyed the hell out of the Witcher. I'm playing through it again actually. It holds up decently well for a 3 year old game. Oddly enough though, I have to turn the lighting engine down to rudimentary to avoid getting really weird artifacts during cutscenes.

8. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 03:36 Kajetan

Esoteric wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 02:35:
You can see they're real gamers, and that they understand their niche.

7. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 02:41 Jerykk

I don't think the first Witcher could really be considered a hardcore CRPG. For one, character development was very limited. You had 4 spells and equivalent skills for your steel and silver sword. There were no attributes, no persuasion skills, no stealth skills. The bulk of the game revolved around combat. There were a good number of high-level choices but low-level choices were practically non-existent. A truly hardcore CRPG is one that offers both high and low-level choices, where combat, stealth and persuasion are equally viable means of playing through the game.  

6. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 02:35 Esoteric

Great interview. The Witcher was a great "modern" old-school RPG, and I really respect the fellows at CD Projekt Red. You can see they're real gamers, and that they understand their niche.  

5. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 00:47 Domgrief

I'm pretty excited by the comment: "Dialogue looks more lively. People can join in or join out of the dialogue. There's no limitation towards number of participants."

While simple, the banter between NPCs in Fallout 3 and the banter between party members in Dragon Age made both games feel more alive. Allowing multiple participants to simulate "real" conversation could really add to a game's atmosphere.

4. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 30, 2010, 23:47 StingingVelvet

Overon wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 22:01:
Dude, you got it all wrong. That's Tomasz Gop's quote. He lives talking about the Witcher franchise and he uses that language to be sarcastic.

Yeah, I eventually clicked on it and saw the context. Still an annoying headline grab for clicks, but not that big a deal.

Good interview.

3. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 30, 2010, 22:01 Overon

Dude, you got it all wrong. That's Tomasz Gop's quote. He lives talking about the Witcher franchise and he uses that language to be sarcastic.  

2. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 30, 2010, 21:35 Verno

Errr, it's Chris Remo dude. He's a huge PC gamer and a strong supporter of the platform, he hosts the IdleThumbs podcast(very PC centric), hangs out with the Telltale guys and whatnot. He was quoting Tomasz, read the article.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo