Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October

2K Games announces plans for a Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition for release on October 12, which will offer Gearbox's role-playing shooter along with tokens to download all its DLC; The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned, Mad Moxxi’s Underdome Riot, and The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, and the recently announced Claptrap’s New Robot Revolution. The bundle will also include a comprehensive map of the Borderlands territories, prompting them to call this the "definitive collection" of the game. Word is: "This new addition to the critically acclaimed Borderlands experience will provide fans with the ultimate outlet to lock, load and face the madness. More than 17 million unique weapons and loot empower gamers to blissfully blast their way through all of Pandora’s inhospitable environments and leave behind a bloody wasteland of indigenous monsters, zombies, Claptraps and evil corporate mercenaries. Level up with the Borderlands experience seamlessly by playing alone or with friends through extensive split-screen or online co-op integration for the most ultimate Role-Playing Shooter fun ever created." The PC GOTY edition will be $49.99 USD, while the console versions will be $10.00 more.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Overrated... Aug 31, 2010, 10:04 nin

Ouch - you must not have played Soldier of Fortune: Payback.

I don't recall that one, no. Or that crappy Rogue Warrior game, I didn't play that one, either.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Overrated... Aug 31, 2010, 09:53 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 09:21:
GOTY...not close.

I spent about 3 hours with it, and it was some of the worst gaming I've had in years.

Ouch - you must not have played Soldier of Fortune: Payback.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

27. Re: Overrated... Aug 31, 2010, 09:21 nin

GOTY...not close.

I spent about 3 hours with it, and it was some of the worst gaming I've had in years.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

26. Re: Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October Aug 31, 2010, 07:48 TurdFergasun

must have been a slow year in gaming  

25. Re: Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October Aug 31, 2010, 06:23 xXBatmanXx

pete - some of your stuff is valid. You shuold have grabbed that DLC for 3.33 a piece - it is well worth it. I leveled my guys kinda thrououghly, so the DLC is kind of easy. The Knoxx doesn't scale like the Island of Dr Ned. Knoxx is Knoxx no matter what. So I am 4 levels ahead.

That being said - I remember when the game came out, my first impression was that the first area was awesome, lots of activity, difficult, etc etc etc. Once you made the jump, the game became bland with little or no character building of NPCs. All of the NPCs look the same....that continues until you get the DLC and some of the speical characters....

I felt they put a TON of time into the first chapter, then just slapped everything else in there. The most challenging part of the game was the area with the huge numbers of Skag near the beginning and battling the first couple of boses.

oh well. I still think the 40+ hours I put into it was well played and I highly enjoyed it. I plan on doing another play through so I can see these awesome weapons and have tougher enemies. Hopefully grab some friends for the 2nd play.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

24. Re: Overrated... Aug 31, 2010, 06:07 peteham

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 20:57:
You fight the same 3 enemies literally the entire game.

The ending was one of the most anticlimatic I remember since Syndicate.

GOTY...not close.
Have to agree there. I never really got into this game. The first ten levels were good, but from there, the gameplay didn't seem great to me. Just an infinite supply of various bruisers, with health-bars that had to be burned away MMO-style. None of the enemies did anything interesting to require true co-op play (like L4D with its special infected), so aside from taking longer to burn away health-bars, there wasn't really any real reason to stay with the group or actually do things together.. The bosses were also tremendously boring; basically giant bullet-sponges. The vault creature wins the prize of most anticlimactic ending/fight ever, with me standing absolutely still behind some object, pumping bullets. A paperweight could've won that fight... The difficulty-curve as a whole was really not that great. Not that there weren't moments, but in general, things just felt incredibly easy unless you kept your level down on purpose. And co-op games need to be significantly harder than singleplayer to be fun, IMO. After the 2nd playthrough, when at the 50 level cap, we tried restarting again to see how things would be, and it was even worse. The bullet-sponge factor was now over nine thousand - what with all enemies being level 50-52 and all... The vehicle combat was beyond terrible as well.

In fairness, I probably went in with expectations set too high, but I'd been following this game since before anyone knew what it actually was going to be (including Gearbox themselves, I suspect). Though with the difficulty being what it was, at least you had plenty of time to joke around. For that reason, I feel this would've better had I bought it on console and played it as a relaxing Friday night split-screen coop with beer & friends..

Disclaimer: I haven't played any of the DLC, so some of my complaints may have been remedied there, but I don't particularly feel like trying it after snoozing through the original content..

23. Re: Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October Aug 30, 2010, 23:02 Alamar

The game definitely has some issues... loot oddities high among them. I think what they do, which isn't all that unusual in such games, is increase the chance for higher tier drops from 'fancy' boxes or rewards... doesn't guarantee a higher tier/color though...

But then there's the whole... A lot of purple/orange weapons are crap... Just the randomness of the loots system there...

Personally, I hated shotguns and RPG's... I LOVE the 2 shot, elemental, revolvers with 3.5x (ish) scopes... It's basically a sniper rifle, but I prefer them to sniper rifles... My latest char, now 45 or so, has used pistols exclusively since the first pistol drop (the box next to claptrap), so like 5 kills with the starter rifle, then 45 levels of repeater/revolver fun : )

Which also leads in to one of the aspects of the game I really enjoyed... Aim matters... Where the bullet hits matters... Headshots are great, especially in the mouth of Skagzilla, or the eye of ... those... purple things... And of course Spiderasses : )

-Alamar

22. Re: Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October Aug 30, 2010, 22:36 xXBatmanXx

Went through them more than once...all garbage...

On top of that - what a joke of a reward in Moxxi's Underdome. For as much time you spend in there - you really don't get crap.

21. Re: Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October Aug 30, 2010, 21:50 PHJF

Still wondering where all the good weapons are

Run the chests in New Haven (there are ~5 of them on the rooftops). And check the vending machine, too.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October Aug 30, 2010, 21:29 PropheT

Wolfen wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 16:24:
And just how many "game of the year" can there be each year anyways?

That's kind of what I wondered, since I'd never heard of anyone giving Borderlands a "Game of the Year" award in the first place.

Apparently the 360 version got it from a site called RPGLand that only awarded it because they were only judging RPG's in the category in the first place, and their overall game of the year went to Demon's Souls anyway.

A little creative marketing there, I guess.

19. Overrated... Aug 30, 2010, 20:57 JohnBirshire

You fight the same 3 enemies literally the entire game.

The ending was one of the most anticlimatic I remember since Syndicate.

GOTY...not close.

18. Re: Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October Aug 30, 2010, 20:51 xXBatmanXx

ugh. So I went and paid the guy to see the largest bullet ever....wish someone would have told me that it was going to clean me out....I have less than 1 million dollars, and I was only about 100k away from 9999999. Oh well. Selling the stuff in Knoxx will be fast....

Still wondering where all the good weapons are....what a bunch of crap. I am using white weapons (mostly) bc they shoot faster with just a little less damage per bullet and have larger magazines. The "unique" weapons are all total garbage. wtf!?

Using a nice scoped pistol.
SG's seem to be the best weapon in the game.
Have a worthless SMG on hand just in case.
Have a really sweet MG with a scope that holds 40 rounds per mag as a base.
An ok sniper that does +250 crit and is very accurate (white).

Rockets are a waste considering you can do so much more damage per second with an SMG or MG. I find myself using my MG almost all the time.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2010, 20:57.

17. Re: Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October Aug 30, 2010, 20:15 Cutter

I'm amazed that anyone actually liked this. It was one of the worst games I've ever played.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

16. Re: Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October Aug 30, 2010, 19:27 StingingVelvet

Some of the sites reporting this are saying all 4 DLCs will be on redemption codes and the disc will be the same one as normal.

That would be lame as hell.

15. Re: Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October Aug 30, 2010, 19:23 Yosemite Sam

Wish they would offer a package deal for the DLC on the PS3, no way I'm dropping ten bucks a pop for the three add-ons.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

14. Re: Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October Aug 30, 2010, 18:23 RaZ0r!

This is one of the best games I've played in a very long time, and I almost passed on it. So glad I picked it up.  

13. Re: Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October Aug 30, 2010, 18:07 Flatline

Creston wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 17:44:
You're not alone in that aspect. Borderlands' biggest longevity problem is that playthrough 2 just utterly SUCKS where loot quality is concerned. I don't know if it's deliberate or they just fucked up some loot lists, but where the first playthrough is an almost constant "cool, a better gun!" feeling, the second playthrough is 20 hours of "FUCK ME, MORE VENDOR TRASH???!"

The only way I was able to upgrade weapons in playthrough 2 was by utilizing the Knoxx glitch.

I farmed Crawmerax about 20 times and never got anything out of his dumb ass either. And of course, even if he DID drop something, what's the point of it, since you're already killing the toughest critters in the game at that point?

That definitely needed some fixing, but I doubt we'll see any patches anymore. Maybe they'll make it better for Borderlands 2.

Creston

I didn't have too terrible of a time upgrading my weapons. Granted, I only upgraded about twice per zone in playthrough 2, I still have weapons way, way better than anything I had in playthrough 1.

Still lots of fun though.

12. Re: Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October Aug 30, 2010, 17:47 Creston

Tumbler wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 17:27:
Might have to give this game another shot, never got very far in it but it was occasionally fun, that was my biggest complaint, the game never felt like it was paced well, the difficulty of enemies seemed to go from 0-100 too fast, SP wasn't that bad but it wasn't that fun, MP was a lot of fun but you'd join people much further along in the game and get your ass kicked. (I did at least...)

I'll try this when it comes way down from $60 though, that's a laughable price for this game. Try $39.99 as the new price. Then you'd get my money.

You've missed two Steam sales already where it was 10 bucks.

Anyways, the diff level going up too fast means you're skipping areas, basically. It can be a bit overwhelming to go to the village you see just ahead and suddenly get ganked by critters who are 6 levels higher than you are. Make sure to do the quests before moving on, and check the quest difficulty levels. When you're level 12 and the quest is level 15, DON'T GO DO IT, since it will destroy you. The difficulty levels given for the quest are spot on accurate. Go do some of the other quests.

You never have to grind in order to make it to a new area, though it's advisable to not just speedrun through everything.

Anyways, if areas give you too much problems, bring a car.

Creston

11. Re: Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October Aug 30, 2010, 17:44 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 16:37:
Also want to play through with some people, as my drops are crap. I have had the same weapons for a long time. I am at Level 45 I think.

You're not alone in that aspect. Borderlands' biggest longevity problem is that playthrough 2 just utterly SUCKS where loot quality is concerned. I don't know if it's deliberate or they just fucked up some loot lists, but where the first playthrough is an almost constant "cool, a better gun!" feeling, the second playthrough is 20 hours of "FUCK ME, MORE VENDOR TRASH???!"

The only way I was able to upgrade weapons in playthrough 2 was by utilizing the Knoxx glitch.

I farmed Crawmerax about 20 times and never got anything out of his dumb ass either. And of course, even if he DID drop something, what's the point of it, since you're already killing the toughest critters in the game at that point?

That definitely needed some fixing, but I doubt we'll see any patches anymore. Maybe they'll make it better for Borderlands 2.

Creston

10. Re: Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October Aug 30, 2010, 17:27 Tumbler

Might have to give this game another shot, never got very far in it but it was occasionally fun, that was my biggest complaint, the game never felt like it was paced well, the difficulty of enemies seemed to go from 0-100 too fast, SP wasn't that bad but it wasn't that fun, MP was a lot of fun but you'd join people much further along in the game and get your ass kicked. (I did at least...)

I'll try this when it comes way down from $60 though, that's a laughable price for this game. Try $39.99 as the new price. Then you'd get my money.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo