Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name

Since chip manufacturer AMD purchased graphics card company ATI in the summer of 2006 there have been erratic experiments in rebranding, but now AMD has fully committed to this, and are dropping the ATI moniker entirely. Going forward will sell their graphics cards under the AMD brand as AMD RADEON and AMD FirePro, as outlined on The Tech Report, while they say AMD will also offer products labeled simply RADEON and FirePro for lack of confusion in Intel systems. Other branding changes include ATI EyeFinity becoming AMD EyeFinity, and the dropping of the Fusion label altogether, and Fusion products will now be part of the Vision brand. They indicate that this rebranding paves the way for the release of AMD's upcoming line of integrated CPUs and GPUs. Current products are not being renamed, and the first AMD-branded GPUs will arrive later this year. They have some slides from AMD reflecting the market research leading up to this decision, though viewing such materials has been known to make one's soul dissolve.

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

64. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Sep 6, 2010, 13:05 Verno

[VG]Reagle wrote on Sep 5, 2010, 11:08:
Verno you shouldn't even be allowed to own a computer. PC games still require a video card. There's more PC games being played then all of the console games put together x2. Take the controller out of your ass and stop being a pussy.

First off, you're an utter moron who can't read. Second, the point is that there are few games that push high end PC hardware anymore. The highend is incredibly niche and makes up a small percentage of the market at best, hence why lower and middle range video cards are so popular now. Games target console hardware for development so you don't need high end hardware anymore to enjoy the vast majority of games released. Consoles have almost always been a larger market than PCs by the way but that doesn't mean the PC can't be a lucrative market in its own right.

He probably plays Flash or very old games. [grin]

Pfft, I expected better from you of all people Ant, just sad.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

63. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Sep 5, 2010, 13:03 Ant

[VG]Reagle wrote on Sep 5, 2010, 11:08:
Verno you shouldn't even be allowed to own a computer. PC games still require a video card. There's more PC games being played then all of the console games put together x2. Take the controller out of your ass and stop being a pussy.
He probably plays Flash or very old games. [grin]

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

62. removed Sep 5, 2010, 11:08 [VG]Reagle

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 16, 2010, 19:38.

I am much better now.

61. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Sep 2, 2010, 14:19 avianflu

Long time IT guy here -- 1000 node network. ATI drivers for windows are too often buggy, especially for multiple display configs and especially when the monitors have different native resolutions. And ATI requires .Net for their Catalyst driver set which is silly BS and adds a security risk to the node. Their latest Windows 7 driver has resolution issues with standard remote desktop protocols. I could go on and on about ATI drivers.

So we buy nvidia when we have a choice about it. Better drivers for business needs.

60. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 31, 2010, 08:47 Verno

Video card debates are pointless these days anyways. Everything runs the console ports just fine and we see practically no games tailored to the PC that push hardware boundaries. They are practically interchangeable except for very high resolution or multiple monitor scenarios and the BS features like PhysX are just meaningless boxart bullet points.  

59. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 31, 2010, 00:44 Rigs

But Jesus, the power of marketing and nostalgia has an insane effect on some people here.

You have NO idea...

*quickly takes off candy apple red ATI hoodie and throws it in the closet*

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

I don't think you know what I was thinking when I was saying that...

I'm sorry. I've been in the game for a while and the one thing in the industry, as it's changed, is the reliance on ATI video cards. Whenever I built a system, I always knew I could throw a decently powered ATI in for good money and not have to worry about it...

When I jumped off ship off the USS Nvidia in 2003, I HAD to have an ATI Radeon 9800PRO. That was the card to beat. I loved that card, and the DELL it was in. (I didn't exactly love the $1600 payment on it though) The only problem I had with it came 2 years later when the heatsink support snapped, sending the heatsink bungie jumping into the CPU fan. I only came to know about it from the smell of burning silicon waffing through the house. No, it doesn't smell good. It smells like $500 burning...

From there it was a 9800 Pro All-in-Wonder, but not for long. Just a small amount of time from there was an X850 Pro. Serious horsepower for the time, it took me through the dark ages of 2006-2008. No problems and it's used in my Mom's Dell as we speak running Windows7 like it's Windows 3.1. Next came my new Core2Dou E8400 system, Black Omega, with the mind blowing power of the HD4870. I was an early adopter though, and paid $500 for a 512mb version, which I'm not crazy about now as I look back.

While happy with it's performance, I had built the system right at the juncture of Core2Duo and the Core i7's and i5's. Seeing all the fun everyone was having, I built 'Black Omega 2' only a year later, in January, a Core i5-750 system with a HIS HD5770. This is where I am today, though I have since put my HD4870 back in the new system because of it's oh-so-slight advantage over the HD5770. While the 5770 runs cooler and requires less power, the 4870 runs just slightly faster and just responds better, IMO.

As it stands right now, I see absolutely no reason to go Green. They haven't come out with a card that gives a truly obvious advantage over the ATI cards already out there. I would love to get an HD5970 or two HD5770's in Crossfire. But right now, the system runs through everything like it's standing still and I don't even have to overclock to get decent performance. (Though that Core i5 is a tempting overclocker)...

How I see it is this - If you have an love nVidia, so be it. You're happy. Good for you. I'm supremely happy with ATI and will stick with them for the foreseeable future. There's room for both and arguing about which is better is as pointless as the INTEL vs. MAC and Windows/Linux/OSX debates. Each to their own...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

58. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 31, 2010, 00:07 Beamer

This thread is mindblowing.

It's a name. In ASCII it's barely even changed. It's bringing too similar product lines together. It's saving money.

But Jesus, the power of marketing and nostalgia has an insane effect on some people here.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

57. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 22:14 Ant

Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 22:07:
Nonono, keep using ATI name and graphic, and use it less and less. Not get rid of it right away.

That's what they did, lol. They got bought in 2006. They started putting the AMD logo on press stuff in 2007 and 2008. They promoted the Radeon brand. What you're asking for, they did all that.
Oh. I haven't seen any newer Radeon cards since 4870 video card and I remember it had big ATI still on it.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

56. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 22:07 Verno

Nonono, keep using ATI name and graphic, and use it less and less. Not get rid of it right away.

That's what they did, lol. They got bought in 2006. They started putting the AMD logo on press stuff in 2007 and 2008. They promoted the Radeon brand. What you're asking for, they did all that.

55. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 21:41 Ant

Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 21:37:
Ant wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 20:06:
Why can't they just keep both names and then SLOWLY fade away ATI name.

That's what they did. They bought ATI awhile ago man. I know you tend to be a behind the times sort but seriously it was four years ago now.

Bad idea, with latest series of 57xx and 58xx cards AMD got ATI brand to really sell well. Many people who go into a store or online recognize only brand names and when they no longer see ATI some may decide to buy nvidia instead due to brand recognition. Yes, most of us here will know that AMD is ATI but to general folks out there thats not "general information".

I think Radeon has better brand recognition with the kind of folk who buy videocards these days and the other type never mattered in the first place.

54. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 21:37 Verno

Ant wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 20:06:

That's what they did. They bought ATI awhile ago man. I know you tend to be a behind the times sort but seriously it was four years ago now.

Bad idea, with latest series of 57xx and 58xx cards AMD got ATI brand to really sell well. Many people who go into a store or online recognize only brand names and when they no longer see ATI some may decide to buy nvidia instead due to brand recognition. Yes, most of us here will know that AMD is ATI but to general folks out there thats not "general information".

I think Radeon has better brand recognition with the kind of folk who buy videocards these days and the other type never mattered in the first place.

53. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 20:59 Zardoz5

nutshell42 wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 18:20:
I had a passively cooled 6600GT. It idled at 70C, got to about 110 at work load and did that for 3 1/2 years until I got rid of the PC. Tough little bugger.

110C, wow! My 8800GT craps out when it stays at over 90C for a few minutes. The newer games tax the hell out of it so I have to turn the fan up when I play them. I cringe when I forgot to and it hard locks, one less overheating/cooling cycle before "Bumpgate" claims its next victim.

52. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 20:06 Ant

KilrathiAce wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 20:04:

51. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 20:04 KilrathiAce

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

50. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 19:46 Elwro

Funny, just today I decided it's time to change from my trusty 6600 GT (with passive cooling), which I have had for 4 years... bought a cheap new nVidia card (I'm a Linuxer, that's the reason) and I'm seeing a big difference, even though I had managed to play The Witcher and Fallout 3 on my old card.

The 6600 GT card somehow seemes... reliable. Hm, I don't know what the right word is, but I'm surely keeping it in case something happens with the new one.

49. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 18:20 nutshell42

I had a passively cooled 6600GT. It idled at 70C, got to about 110 at work load and did that for 3 1/2 years until I got rid of the PC. Tough little bugger.  

48. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 18:20 Ant

Creston wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 18:07:
Ant wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 17:40:
Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 17:36:
There was a huge batch of defective 8800GT's that went out awhile ago, the only reason people even noticed was that they started failing at the same time in ridiculous numbers. To be fair though my 8800GTX is still going in a friends computer.
So does that mean my RMA'ed 8800 GT will fail again?

Unlikely. It was a very specific set that failed. The later revisions had no major issues. Mine ran like a champ for the 18 or so months that I used it. Never a single issue with it.

Creston
How can you tell the revision? Is there a software tool to check?

47. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 18:07 Creston

Ant wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 17:40:
Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 17:36:
There was a huge batch of defective 8800GT's that went out awhile ago, the only reason people even noticed was that they started failing at the same time in ridiculous numbers. To be fair though my 8800GTX is still going in a friends computer.
So does that mean my RMA'ed 8800 GT will fail again?

Unlikely. It was a very specific set that failed. The later revisions had no major issues. Mine ran like a champ for the 18 or so months that I used it. Never a single issue with it.

Creston

46. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 18:02 PHJF

I haven't seen an NVIDIA card get up to 100C

My 8800GTX would do that... until i blasted the shit out of it with compressed air. Next case I get is having dust filters, standard.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

45. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 17:49 Tom

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 15:57:
Tom wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 13:34:
Yay for anecdotes. My ATI 9800 Pro's fan died and my 1800XT cooked itself (terrible heatsink design, thanks ASUS!), forcing me to put up with artifacts and underclocking/undervolting to keep it stable while I shopped for a new gfx card. My NVIDIA cards have never failed me.
So that would be an asus problem because they followed the bare minimum for cooling design. Or would that be an ATI problem because they made the chip? Kinda lost here. And apparently you've never seen nVidia cards so hot you could boil water on them, or have you? Those dual slot cards nvidia was pumping out a few years ago sucked for heat, heat failure, and design issues.

Then again overall GPU's are heavy on the transistors, usually 2-4 times more than a CPU now. That's a lot of heat in a small area.

I blame both ATI and ASUS for my 1800XT's failure. It's ATI's fault for having no thermal throttling on their chips - the only way you find out there's a problem is after it's irreparably damaged? Poor design. CPU vendors got over that a long time ago. It's also ASUS's fault for using an inadequate heatsink that became even less effective over time.

I haven't seen an NVIDIA card get up to 100C. The highest I've seen is about 80C. Have some of them gotten up to 100C? I don't doubt it one bit, but it hasn't happened to me (yet).

I understand the problem with anecdotes and was attempting to help illustrate it. Anecdotes push people to believe something in the world is one way or another, but they are not valid evidence of the truth. Only intelligently collected and interpreted data with a sufficiently large sample size can serve as valid evidence of the truth. Unfortunately such evidence is hard to come by, while there's no shortage of anecdotal evidence.

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo