Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Courting Minecraft Developer?

Markus Persson tweets about where he is headed today on a business trip, indicating Valve may be expanding its already expressed interest in Minecraft by courting the developer of this sandbox adventure. He says simply: "Yes, it's Valve ;)." Thanks Big Download.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Sep 2, 2010, 13:43 Dev

Narf2029 wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 01:47:
Ok fine, I bought it.

Some reasons I bought it, pasted from the minecraft page:
•You never have to pay again!
You get all future versions of the game, including all expansions and addons.
•Once you've bought the game, it's yours. No DRM.

I like never having to buy anything again, and getting all expansions. I REALLY like no DRM.
Not only that but the early adoption price is supposed to be half of the final price. You really can't lose if you like sandbox games even a little bit.
Yeah I forgot to mention that. I saw that that it was going to go up in price when released, and that was another reason I bought it now.

So far, me and my brother are having a good time. I setup junctions/symbolic links so that the game uses the same save location for both our logins and we can work on the same world

Sepharo wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 23:09:
I get so pissed when I open a new section of my deep mine and there's like 6 skeletons, 5 zombies, 4 spiders, and 15 creepers...

Sometimes it's helpful to let them duke it out amongst each other for a bit or to try lure them into some lava but most of the time it results in me dying and retrieving my shit over and over. Then the coup de grâce, a creeper explodes thus exposing lava and melting all my loose items.

That rant out of the way, I love the game and can't stop expanding my mountain home. Just finished installing a glass ceiling so I can start growing some indoor fields.

If its the normal single player install, you could backup the save games, its in the users roaming folder. Personally, I try not to carry anything too valuable when I go cave delving in case I can't get back to them

Glass ceiling? Nice idea.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2010, 13:48.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Sep 2, 2010, 11:22 nin

"I assume I would be allowed to say if there was MC news, and there seriously is none yet."

Slightly disappointed. But at the same time, hopefully the uptick in sales will allow him to continue to make the game he wants to make, his way.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Sep 1, 2010, 23:09 Sepharo

I get so pissed when I open a new section of my deep mine and there's like 6 skeletons, 5 zombies, 4 spiders, and 15 creepers...

Sometimes it's helpful to let them duke it out amongst each other for a bit or to try lure them into some lava but most of the time it results in me dying and retrieving my shit over and over. Then the coup de grâce, a creeper explodes thus exposing lava and melting all my loose items.

That rant out of the way, I love the game and can't stop expanding my mountain home. Just finished installing a glass ceiling so I can start growing some indoor fields.

27. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Sep 1, 2010, 07:56 nin

I took the plunge, but only got to play for about 20 minutes last night. Very very fun, and serious crack. Highly recommended!

26. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 31, 2010, 14:29 Sty

I bought it last night. Well worth it. Lost 3 hrs of my evening burrowing into a mountain side. I love the innovation and creativity while keeping it simple.  

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

25. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 31, 2010, 02:04 SM0k3

MineCraft is crack man. I sat here for 3 hours mucking around in the alpha....12 dollars WELL spent, crazy  

24. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 31, 2010, 01:47 Narf2029

Ok fine, I bought it.

I like never having to buy anything again, and getting all expansions. I REALLY like no DRM.
Not only that but the early adoption price is supposed to be half of the final price. You really can't lose if you like sandbox games even a little bit.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

23. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 22:52 Dev

Ok fine, I bought it.

22. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 21:51 Dev

Pike wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 17:39:
Definitely. However even with no marketing the game has sold 90,000 copies which is pretty amazing for a single-developer indie game:

http://www.minecraft.net/stats.jsp

Also, almost 20% of user who registered have BOUGHT the game.

nin wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 21:14:
BTW, that guy that did one of the videos below? He has a 10 part series holy fuck he's up to 34 parts now, upwards of 2.5 ??? hours, explaining the beginnings of the game. I watched the first two parts...

http://tinyurl.com/265c2bg

Thanks for the link! That video shows some cool items and also the baddies attacking his castle with a high tower at night. Quite a differance from that little cave hole he started with.

specifically this one is the one I watched
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEgedN1FVko

The first 3 mins are the interesting part, there's a reason why he didn't put this into the normal episode list and instead called it a "bonus" vid.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2010, 22:08.

21. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 21:14 nin

I'm supposed to be playing Mafia 2 and instead I'm smelting silver like a mad man building my sweet mine with buttonized doors and ramparts to shoot my bow from.

I had the exact conversation with a friend an hour ago. I told him it looked awesome, and as such I wasn't even going to install it until AFTER I finished Mafia 2.

BTW, that guy that did one of the videos below? He has a 10 part series holy fuck he's up to 34 parts now, upwards of 2.5 ??? hours, explaining the beginnings of the game. I watched the first two parts...

http://tinyurl.com/265c2bg

20. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 20:53 Sepharo

You bastards...

I'm supposed to be playing Mafia 2 and instead I'm smelting silver like a mad man building my sweet mine with buttonized doors and ramparts to shoot my bow from.

19. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 20:07 Tumbler

Wow, linked video got my attention.

When I was watching the crafting and he was trying to explain how things combined to make things it looked lame. Block of wood turns to plank, meh, planks combine to make a stick, what? Ooo u can make a workbench...what can you make with that? Hubbard how's he going to make that with....

Wow

OMG did you see that? He made a pikaxe! He MADE that pikaxe!
That was awesome.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

18. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 19:07 w34sl3

I have seen this before and watched the video on the games home page. I didnt get the appeal or the point. After watching the linked video it seems far more appealing to me. The devolper should really think about updating his frontpage with a better video, he might sell even more games.

This is however a wonderful bit of insight to all the professional business devolpers out there. These graphics obviously are not up to par with todays standards, yet it has still sold 90,000 copies. Point being graphics matter less than gameplan, no matter what marketing tells you. Now imagine how many you could sell if you applied the same principle to many of the other games in development. I bet your expensive budget would come down as well. Meaning you will be more profitable.

If only they had learned that sooner. Maybe then EA could figure out how to get the Madden A.I. to run a screen play.

P.s. Best of luck to the developer, I hope he lands the job and a game deal.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2010, 21:58.

17. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 18:06 nin

This video gives a decent introduction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylVtj-1Ccgg

OK, that looked really cool! Thanks for the link!

16. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 17:39 Pike

Dev wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 16:31:
If something like that was on thier frontpage, I think they'd get more people trying it out. Perhaps a video with some of the baddies too.
Definitely. However even with no marketing the game has sold 90,000 copies which is pretty amazing for a single-developer indie game:

http://www.minecraft.net/stats.jsp

sir wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 17:14:
There are different versions to try - the survival version has the nasty critters - http://www.minecraft.net/survivaltest/
Just in case anyone misunderstands, that's a much older version of the game that's missing a lot of the best features of the paid version.

15. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 17:17 SM0k3

Valve has done quite a bit for independent developers and it keeps the gaming industry fresh as there are a lot of garage developer out there with great ideas. Thanks Valve

As for MineCraft, I'm shocked I never heard of it but after checking out a few videos I'm definitely going to try it out; looks like good fun.

14. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 17:14 sir

Beamer wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 16:29:
After reading about this somewhere, I think a Penny Arcade, I tried it. My gameplay was a total failure. Note I'm blaming myself, not the game. Something was wrong; I think due to an incompatibility with the system I was on not everything was properly functioning. All I could do was walk, jump and break blocks - literally nothing else. Definitely wasn't right. Breaking blocks was moderately entertaining for five minutes, which sounds kind of pathetic haha, but I was definitely missing something somewhere. No buttons did anything, just block breaking.

I quit quickly and forgot to go back on a non-netbook. I'll try it tonight. Everyone I've talked to has had cool experience, and I didn't, either because the netbook was messing up or because the experience on a 10" screen was so disappointing that I didn't bother reading some documentation and going back.

There are different versions to try - the survival version has the nasty critters - http://www.minecraft.net/survivaltest/

There's multiplayer too, but I haven't tried that yet.

13. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 17:02 Hump

all I know about Minecraft is that some people spend a huge amount of time and effort building stuff and then the /b/tards kick the door in and destroy everything they can.

yes, its juvenile but hilarious.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

12. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 16:46 Frijoles

A lot of people compare it to Dwarf Fortress. In fact, someone wrote an importer for Minecraft from DF.  

11. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 16:31 Dev

Pike wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 16:00:
It's a sandbox building/exploring/survival game, you get dumped into a randomly generated infinite* world and have to mine resources and use them to craft tools and create buildings while trying to avoid being killed by the nasties that come out at night. This video gives a decent introduction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylVtj-1Ccgg

Eventually you end up building giant castles, Moria-style mines or anything else you like.

* Until your PC runs out of HDD space anyway.

Thanks!! The video intrieges me enough to give it a try I think.

If something like that was on thier frontpage, I think they'd get more people trying it out. Perhaps a video with some of the baddies too.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo