Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The television is filled with coverage of Katrina the past few days, as today is the fifth anniversary of the devastation of New Orleans by that hurricane. The stories of recovery are heartwarming, but the numerous stories of areas still in disrepair are heartbreaking, as are the retrospectives on the disaster itself and all the lives lost as a result.

Heartbroken Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Block Knocker.
Old Cannon.
Electric Box 2.
Science: Global Warming-Loving Beetle Threatens World's Coffee Supply.
Media: Awesome body popping from India's Got Talent.
Don't leave jedis to pick the host of the MTV movie awards.
Leapfrogging Car in Autoquad Races.
The Funnies: FoxTrot.
UserFriendly.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2010, 15:29 eRe4s3r

But surely there are planets with less of everything that wants to kill us... Shouldn't we be searching for them than stay content with *this* world and all of its issues and disasters?

But thats an Interesting discussion, i would not regard a space station that is its own biosphere and self-sufficient part of *this* Nature. Even if the elements and concepts are all the same, in a controlled biosphere a tornado or tsunami or earthquake does simply not happen - and while Salt Water is a vital element for the existence of basically ANY life, for us and many land based plants and animals, it is poison.

At least in a space station you are free from any natural disasters - all disasters you could suffer can be avoided by smart engineering and solid construction (and good repair skills ).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2010, 14:40 space captain

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 13:40:
Personally, if i could i would pack up for the nearest space colony on any dead rock, or heck even completely in space, than stay here. Who cares about Nature when Nature tries to kill you every single day?

Well, space is also nature. And its infinitely less hospitable for your organism than the earth. One of the keys is atmosphere - its not just what you breathe but it also keeps your body from imploding.

btw sodium (salt) is an essential component of organic life

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2010, 13:40 eRe4s3r

You mean this planet - even as it supplies us right now, given proper terraforming there are many planets far superior to this hell hole of a paradise. Storms, Earthquakes, Floods , Tsunamis, Hurricanes, Tornadoes and best of all, poisonous flora and fauna and SALT WATER makes up 90% of its space. And we are surrounded by billions of rocks and each of them could wipe us out even with a scraping hit....

Personally, if i could i would pack up for the nearest space colony on any dead rock, or heck even completely in space, than stay here. Who cares about Nature when Nature tries to kill you every single day?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2010, 12:21 xmb1121

Hmm,, so no one should live on the eastern or southern coasts of the country, nor the Kansas area since it's prone to tornados no the entire coast of California because it's subject to earthquakes? No one should build along a river because they might flood. You can't build in any mountains because they might have blizzards. You can't build in New Mexico or Arizona because they have yearly wildfires (most often caused by lightning, natch).

That leaves us with...Tennessee! Let's have all 500 million of us move there since they have fewer natural disasters.

But crap, we forgot about the New Madrid fault that had an earthquake in the 1800s that made the Mississippi River run backwards for a couple of weeks.

I guess we have to pack up and abandon this half of the hemisphere.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2010, 09:59 eRe4s3r

Not oddly, Haiti didn't have nuclear weapons nor openly supported the Taliban. General punishment might be bad and all, but you will never erase that "second thought" people will have when they hear Pakistan no matter how large the disaster.

Although the delayed help will do more damage not only by not helping the affected, but by giving the Taliban time to help and garner sympathies.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2010, 09:42 StingingVelvet

Vulkan wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 01:28:
Five years already... Time sure flies by doesn't it?

Yes.

I was still in college when it happened... I remember my one sociology professor crying in class.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2010, 01:49 xXBatmanXx

As a Mississippian, it pains me to read that some 20% of New Orleanians haven't returned, but it pains me much more to think that only 25% of the homes on the Mississippi gulf coast have been rebuilt so far.

Continuing to build a home or city where it will be easily destroyed in a few years by a flood/hurricane or other....is just plain stupid.

The BILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars being spent to put up levees, rebuild, etc etc etc. Is a waste.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2010, 01:28 Vulkan

Five years already... Time sure flies by doesn't it?  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2010, 00:14 xmb1121

Pakistan is in rough shape. There was an article last weekend that pointed out the destruction there was worse than the 04 tsuname, the 05 pak. earthquake and the haitian earthquake from this year combined.

Oddly, while hundreds of dollars were donated per victim for those, only about $16 per victim had been donated this time.

5. removed Aug 29, 2010, 23:19 space captain

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 30, 2010, 08:05.

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2010, 20:46 xmb1121

Far be it from me to criticize the media, but it was Mississippi and to a lesser extent Alabama that suffered the most damage from Hurricane Katrina as in Mississippi multiple cities were wiped from existence. New Orleans suffered a levee failure a couple of days later due to their gross mismanagement of the funds for their levee system.

Briefly: The winds to the east of a hurricane are the ones the f some s up. The closer to the eye, the worse. To the west of the eye, still strong winds, but no where near the strength or intensity of the eastern part. Katrina landed east of New Orleans and caused much less damage because of it. Had she landed on top of New Orleans, well, it would be a much different situation.

The levee breaches were a disaster unto themselves, but an entirely manmade problem. As a Mississippian, it pains me to read that some 20% of New Orleanians haven't returned, but it pains me much more to think that only 25% of the homes on the Mississippi gulf coast have been rebuilt so far.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2010, 19:01 The Half Elf

Yeah it's pretty anticlimactic Bats.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2010, 16:52 xXBatmanXx

Finished my first playthrough of borderlands.....and all I can say is WTF!?  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2010, 13:06 bfg9000

Coffee article had me worried for a while there, looks like only people that buy the mass produced crap - I'm looking at you Robert Harris - will be in trouble. Still the price rises are unfortunate.
I enjoy smoking, drinking and my coffee fix all in moderation, however the prices now are going to make me choose which habits to continue. Obviously tobacco will be the first I will quit, but the prices of alcohol here in NZ mean I sometimes can't afford a nice 6 pack of beer to unwind with on my 1 day a week I'm not working.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo