Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I happened to notice the Out of the Blue I wrote eight years ago to the day, and I thought it would be worthwhile to repost this explanation of the generally neutral and off-topic nature of my ramblings. Hey, it's a summer re-run! Here goes:

"Do not inject opinion." The Elements of Style - Strunk and White.

I recently promised to discuss why games are almost never the topic of the rambles in this Out of the Blue section, so here goes: First a little background to point out that I never really intended to create this section as a daily feature, it was meant to be something that popped up when needed, it just turned out that once I started it, popular demand dictated I couldn't skip one unless I wanted to ignore the death threats (something that can be tough on those occasions when my muse eludes me). Anyway, once it became law that there'd be a daily Out of the Blue, the games I was playing would indeed be the topic sometimes, but as has been noted, this has become a less and less common subject. There are two main reasons for this: One is that my time is constrained. Not, as some have suggested, to the point where I can no longer find the time to play games at all, but enough that I rarely get the feeling that I've really captured the essence of a game before it reaches old age, and I think it's unfair to offer opinions on games that I haven't really properly evaluated. This would actually probably be more unfair to anyone reading this than to the games, because my early impressions tend to be favorable (what can I say, I like games), and no one needs me repeating "It seems like fun, what little I've played so far" over and over. The other reason is objectivity. Even for the games where I've formed enough of an impression to consider valid, I fear that sharing them has the potential to do more harm than good. Games do not earn greater or lesser coverage here based on my preferences, but my concern is that saying something positive about game A and something negative about game B will cause attempts at correlating whether game A is getting preferential treatment over game B because it's the teacher's pet or something. I know this is not automatically the way everyone would interpret this, but it's hard to deny the likelihood that many folks would, as it's pretty much human nature to try and divine causes and effects. There are plenty of people writing enough good game reviews that the world is not going wanting for lack of me adding my opinions to the pile, and with the potential that doing so could harm the site's credibility, choosing to keep my opinions to myself becomes an easy decision to make.

Sorry that this all is not nearly so dramatic as it may have seemed it was going to be when I forestalled discussing it, as it's pretty straightforward, but it is a mouthful, and I wanted to make sure I managed to get that all covered.

Rambling Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Reincarnation: Let the Evil Times Roll.
Bubble Tanks Tower Defense 1.5.
Vertical Drop Heroes. Thanks Jay is Games.
Links: Custom Twilight Zone sixth-scale Rod Serling action figure. Thanks Boing Boing.
NASA's Space Rock. Pick the shuttle wake-up call. Thanks FLY.
Story: Motorcyclist Fined for Wearing Outdoor Grill While Riding.
Science: Supercomputer clue to black holes.
Lab made cornea offers new hope for restored vision.
BBC News - Top eight cancer signs pinpointed
MIT unveils swimming, oil-cleaning robots.
Images: Periodic Table of Controllers. Thanks nin via Dubious Quality.
TARDIS at MIT.
Good News is you can Never get Rear-Ended.
Media: Ultramarines - A Warhammer 40,000 Movie Trailer.
Beat It + epic Crazy Chinese Omnipotent China red army. Thanks nin via Dubious Quality.
Cami Secret Parody (Boob Apron). NSFW.
Cruiser cam catches 100 mph crash. Wow. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Follow-up: Why working at home is both awesome and horrible.
The longer you sit, the earlier you die. Thanks Slashdot.
Psychic Cat Of Death Gets A Film.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2010, 14:45 Ant

Sepharo wrote on Aug 28, 2010, 01:09:
The longer you sit, the earlier you die

Welp, any day now.
Yep, maybe any seconds, tonight, tomorrow, in a few days, etc.!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2010, 03:04  Xymph 

Sepharo wrote on Aug 28, 2010, 01:28:
Wow.... The comment box is expandable?!

How long has it been like this? Please don't say years.
Only as long as your browser supported that. This is not done with anything in the code or HTML, it's just something some browsers (Chrome, Safari and other WebKit-based ones, IIRC) are allowing with textarea fields on any site.

-- Frans

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2010, 01:28 Sepharo

Wow.... The comment box is expandable?!

How long has it been like this? Please don't say years.
Man this will make editing posts with lots of quote tags much easier.

edit: Ah now only if it remembered its last size.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2010, 01:09 Sepharo

The longer you sit, the earlier you die

Welp, any day now.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 21:34 Bucky

caralimon wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 15:50:
Oh geee, i actually remember reading this OotB back in the day, i can't believe it's been 8 years already . I can't think of any other website i've been visiting on a daily basis this long .

As others have said, OotB is just another one of the reasons i visit Bluesnews everyday, it's like a reality check for me in between all the web, blogging and videogames madness .

You rock Blue, keep up the good work!

Agreed. I can clearly remember reading that OotB post; I would never have guessed it's been 8 years since that was posted.

I always have trouble adjusting when I open a web browser on another computer and Blue's isn't the homepage.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 17:29 beaves

The (Boob Apron) vid is great. I just saw this commercial last night and my wife thought is was a good idea (note: not for her for other women). Thanks Blue, I enjoy your media selections as well.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 15:53 Hoop

Eh Blue .....yo break'n my balls here.
Doos I need to send Vito overs there to force yoos to play mafia2?

Stop with the squirrel stare'n & get play'n.

Um .. Behind you...

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 15:50  Blue 

Dan =0) wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 15:45:
Test.

EDIT: I don't see my avatar...?

As far as I can see on this end you have not actually submitted one.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 15:50 caralimon

Oh geee, i actually remember reading this OotB back in the day, i can't believe it's been 8 years already . I can't think of any other website i've been visiting on a daily basis this long .

As others have said, OotB is just another one of the reasons i visit Bluesnews everyday, it's like a reality check for me in between all the web, blogging and videogames madness .

You rock Blue, keep up the good work!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 15:45 Dan =0)

Test.

EDIT: I don't see my avatar...?

Dan =0)

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 15:24 Enahs

It is only free until the end of this year (Google Voice), then they start charging.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 15:13 Grendle

Same here. If there is one site I visit any particular day its Bluesnews.

Probably for the last 12 years... Under different names of course.

Grammer correction

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 14:44 Vulkan

I've been a Bluesnews.com fan since it was a more Quake centric site, it's been a bang up job you've been doing.

The reason you avoid posting impressions on games is rather common sense really, yet is something I find a great deal of people in the game reviewing business seem to completely lack. Posting reviews on genres they don't enjoy or even know anything about, half baked paper thin attempts that only contain a couple of paragraphs of text only to assign some arbitrary numerical score at the end, reviews of games they've clearly not finished and the typical conveyor belt style of reviewing, where games don't even get a proper playthrough because of tight deadlines and such.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 14:30 Kxmode

Google Voice Killed Skype! The service is COMPLETELY free in U.S. and Canada. Good God Google! http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

Now I regret paying $50 for Skype for the year.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 13:06 Xil

Quicksilver wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 11:21:
I've been visiting Bluesnews on a daily basis for longer than I'd like to remember and the Out of the Blue section is a big reason for it. The sheer volume of daily updates is another. But i'd take Out of the Blue over Digg and Reddit anyday.

Seriously, just keep doing what you're doing. I don't think my internet would be the same without you.

totally agree with this.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 12:41 PropheT

Fion wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 12:08:
QFT

I couldn't have said it better.

Yup. This is the first site I visit every day...it's fast, simple, and complete.

It also never has that "this is what you must like!" vibe to it that 99% of the sites on the web have when they start talking about things on the geekier side of life.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 12:08 Fion

Quicksilver wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 11:21:
I've been visiting Bluesnews on a daily basis for longer than I'd like to remember and the Out of the Blue section is a big reason for it. The sheer volume of daily updates is another. But i'd take Out of the Blue over Digg and Reddit anyday.

Seriously, just keep doing what you're doing. I don't think my internet would be the same without you.

QFT

I couldn't have said it better.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 11:56 Hyatus

I guess I never really thought about it.

If you suddenly started saying that you liked game A or game B I don't think it would change anything.

It's not like you seem to give any preference to advertised game A or advertised game B and that would be the only thing I'd ever question.

On the flip side of things, if you did start talking about it you might not get news about certain games based on previous negative opinions.

You could, I suppose, do what parents and grandparents always tell you, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" and just talk about what you liked.

But really, whatever. I do enjoy the OotB(when I am not skimming them). It's what adds the Blue to bluesnews.com. We're not all gamers 24/7 despite what Penny Arcade readers may think.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 11:49 Kxmode

WeAreLinked wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 11:23:
Heya Blue! It's me! The asshole Woody!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 11:35 Jim

Thanks Blue. OotB is the usually the first section of the site I read, along with the daily links. I then scroll up as I read the rest of the site.  
Jim

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo